Overland TJ's (Ideas, Pic's, etc for 97-06 Jeep TJ's)

Jwood

Observer
I just sold my Jeep, but in the process I went through a few old photos (searching for something for the new buyer) and I thought I'd post them here. In my LJ, we got a family of 4, plus a dog, and all our camping gear on board. It wasn't easy or particularly comfortable, but it can be done. The trick for us was to build up webbing between the rear rollbar and rear seatback, and stack the soft stuff to the roofline. All our roll-up tables and collapsible chairs were tucked above the rear tire wells, and bungeed into place, so nothing intruded into the kids space in the rear seat, but it was tight!

Calico-800-10-XL.jpg

What tire carrier is that?

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Hanson rear bumper, tire carrier, and rack. Bumper is awesome. Rack is good, but needed a bit of modification to make stout and vibration free. I've heard that the new owners of Hanson have upgraded their system to address the minor issues I had with my first generation unit. I recommend their stuff without hesitation.

wjeeper

Just some observations from living out of my YJ for a month now:
  • Pack light, think like a backpacker. Its my personal opinion that people tend to carry too much crap. Even though I tried to minimize the gear i brought I still had some stuff I didn't end up using.
  • Some sort of storage compartment/ rack in the back helps tremendiously. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/53303-Jeep-CJ-project-(the-Camping-Jeep)/page5 Partway down the page you can see the solution I came up with. I really like how it works out in the bush.
    IMG_0505.jpg
  • I like my RTT. I dislike the "EXPO bling factor".....but it freed up a lot of room inside! With the RTT I didn't need to carry a sleeping bag, pillow, inflatable mattress or a tent inside the Jeep where storage is at a premium.
  • Spare tire on the back (not inside) is a must.
  • I am now considering some sort of tailgate rack to mount on the tire carrier. I got by fine without it but its a good place to strap trash or firewood that would just make a mess inside the Jeep anyways.
    FljfK7nfaiZBXXAm6F_U8biPXebFcuArfFsX9XqoFMytIr5b-qMG3dXzgh85aFE8u5jyKkp9z-Wf20rxJGgjNuVH2ZEF3pwOgwxoCwT4Wafokdi8RiHFfEsecs-AsLW_zY9sJnRRgB4chyB7GEhPn2hT1O6pGkfUSSG-vhq7LXQB2tt_9lv33jUXF9U
  • Extended camping trips in a CJ/YJ/TJ is fine for two if you pack light. Add a third person and I think a trailer is basically mandatory.
  • An underhood storage box is a good idea if you have the room. Keeps some tools and spares right where you need them. The stock jack is basically useless if you carry a high-lift, so why not put the space to good use?
    IMG_0315.gif

(I am actually considering another underhood storage box)
  • Tools for a YJ: You would be supprised how much you could fix with a just 3/8, 1/2, 9/16, 14mm, 15mm, 16mm and some torx sockets. (some metric and standard sockets cross over so why carry both?) In the past I was guilty of trying to pack half my toolbox with me only to use a small handful of tools. Make sure you have the external torx needed for the starter motor or replace the bolts with something normal!

MattScott

Approved Vendor
What makes the TJ so great as an expedition vehicle, is that you are forced to be minimalistic. Back to basics.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Please forgive any sarcasm which has poured forth in these postings and keep the Marines of Helmand Province in your thoughts and prayers!

Semper Fi brother. Sarcasm is a lifeline to sanity. As my screen name may suggest I spent some time in the corps and you are indeed in my prayers. Now live 3 hours west of Camp Lejeune way out in the woods. You are welcome when you return. 30 Minutes to Uwharrie National Forest and 40 acres of my own woods that you can camp on anytime.

I have enjoyed this thread as I am building my 2000 TJ slowly to replace a burned up 2003 Rubicon. I am pretty sure I am headed the roof rack route. One thing I did in that Rubicon was to put in seat risers. Not only did it help with vision off road, it added some under the seat storage as well, plenty of room for a small tool kit (like the idea above about taking only the tools you will need) or a security kit.

Some great ideas on this thread, thanks.

John

Last edited:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
The Uptons drove around the world in a CJ5! Loren is probably 6'3" and Patty is about 5'10". They where able to sleep INSIDE the vehicle.

0014.jpg

My jeep expedition advise....

-Treat it like backpacking. Build your load out around set container sizes. Then you only get to take what fits in the containers.
-Try and keep all the gear below the top of the tub. If you still need more space ONLY very light stuff like a bedroll, a pillow, etc can go above the tub line.
-If people can do world class expeditions on motorcycles, man up, and take less stuff. The less stuff the lighter the vehicle, the lighter the vehicle the happier you will be.
-Don't hang stuff off the back of the vehicle. Its not worth the change in vehicle dynamics.
-Don't use a roof rack. Honestly, its the worst place to put weight and add air resistance.
-Try and store or install heavy items ahead of the rear axle.
-Keep overall weight down, its WAY to easy to overload a Jeep.
-Accept the fact that most SWB jeeps are NOT well suited to taking more than two living things. ( two people OR one person and a dog OR one adult and a kid ) ( the exception being the JKU vehicle, I think it makes a good platform for 3 living things )
-Don't get carried away on spare parts
-Don't get carried away on tools
-Don't get carried away on recovery gear

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer

Overland vs. Expedition? I like your advice for using the Jeep if I were to travel for months on end. For the shorter trips that I take, 3 days to 2 weeks, we happily travel with 2 adults, 2 kids and a 50lb dog.

Of course a good mental attitude is required as well. :)

JPK

Explorer
My LJ. Currently for sale because I replaced it with a JKU. Take a look at the boxes on the rack, it solves a lot of storage issues for the stuff you need, like tools, tire repair kit, bungees or tie downs, machete, etc. Stuff that would ordinarily be rolling around in the back or in a bag or box taking up space. Same idea would work on a TJ. If you don't mind losing the other side's flat load cpacity, boxes on both sides would work. I have the boxes on one side so that a canoe or my kids surfboard can be carried on the other side. Also note the shovel and axe carrier - ax is in the garage.

A taller box by the same manufacturer is offered, or other size boxes could be used. The boxes are bolted on, and lock (or used to, lost the keys!) The boxes hold an amazing amount of stuff and are wether proof - or at least they have never leaked for me, no matter the conditions. IIRC, L 35.5"x W 12.75"x H 6.5" $130/ea, here's a link: http://www.google.com/products/cata...=X&ei=NucgTqmgD-610AHf0NihAw&ved=0CFkQ8gIwAQ#

The larger boxes are L 35.5 in. x W 14.75 in. x H 15, which I think it too tall.

DSCN0536.jpg

DSCN0539.jpg

DSCN0540.jpg

DSCN0542.jpg

JPK

Last edited:
The Uptons drove around the world in a CJ5! Loren is probably 6'3" and Patty is about 5'10". They where able to sleep INSIDE the vehicle.

0014.jpg

-Treat it like backpacking. Build your load out around set container sizes. Then you only get to take what fits in the containers.
-Try and keep all the gear below the top of the tub. If you still need more space ONLY very light stuff like a bedroll, a pillow, etc can go above the tub line.
-If people can do world class expeditions on motorcycles, man up, and take less stuff. The less stuff the lighter the vehicle, the lighter the vehicle the happier you will be.
-Don't hang stuff off the back of the vehicle. Its not worth the change in vehicle dynamics.
-Don't use a roof rack. Honestly, its the worst place to put weight and add air resistance.
-Accept the fact that most SWB jeeps are NOT well suited to taking more than two living things. ( two people OR one person and a dog OR one adult and a kid ) ( the exception being the JKU vehicle, I think it makes a good platform for 3 living things )

This is great advice... I like to plan my adventures around the quantities of water, food and fuel I'll need for each leg of the trip... I treat everything else like a little luxury... but admittedly I miss some of those little luxuries.... the kayak, the bikes, the grill, the awning and the foldable chairs, the gazebo.... :)

SheepShagger

Just came upon this thread, Ive just bought a TJ Rubicon, not the longer wheelbase unfortunately so I'm very limited on room but I am looking at building a trailer. Some great advice and Jeeps on here.

no expedition advice but I was curious is the golden eagle that you are driving form the factory like that? How is it equipped? MY first jeep was 77 cj-7 golden eagle

Attachments

• jeep golden eagle5.jpg
    jeep golden eagle5.jpg
    528.6 KB · Views: 49

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader

I think this is the best advice I've ever seen in this forum.

I drove my bone-stock TJ 40,000 miles from Alaska to Argentina without a single mechanical issue - and I genuinely believe it's because I had hardly any gear and thus the Jeep was very light, and not working hard. The engine, suspension and everything else were just rolling along, not "stressed" from being overloaded.
I had less stuff than some motorbike guys I encountered.

The one modification I did make was to build a very basic storage box in the back to keep my stuff safe with the soft top, and it was awesome.

http://theroadchoseme.com/jeep-tj-storage-box

-Dan

Warhead

Adventurer
I also have a TJ, I can fit most of my stuff in a backpack/cooler/medium sized tool bag for a few days travel with no problems with space.
I do plan on picking up a off road trailer/RTT at some point though

MOguy

Explorer
Here is what I have done. I got rid of the center console. That thing is a waste. its has very little useable space. I can pack almost as much into an ammo can and the place an extra bag on top and end up with much more storage area. I made a shelf up front. It is made from a bed rali cut to size and a heavier wire shelf. I can carry a couple rifles, clothes jackets or whatever else up there. I added another mounting point for my hitch hauler to get it up and out of the way and allow me to open my tailgate while it is attached.
lock%20box_zps4r1xo1pj.png

0317174326_zpsttwo7dkc.jpg

af261a3c-11b3-48da-8ba5-71109698260a_zps52aad8e4.jpg

IMG_1567%201_zpsxvxplteq.jpg

mtbxj87

Adventurer
I dig the ammo box console MOGUY. I might have to do that to my xj. I could add a lock to keep the crackers from stealing my stuff again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater