Overland XJs Unite!

mtbxj87

Adventurer
31b20ca5ee7a4fa3715f6e8c92967dd5.jpg

OwyheeMagpie

Adventurer and Explorer
I'll join in, 2000 XJ, 5 speed, locked F/R with D44 and 4:56s, 2Lo with 4:1 and AA SYE, 33s, bumpers, Warn M8000, Viair OBA, 6.5 RE lift, drop brackets and adjustable uppers and lowers, probably a bunch of other stuff I forgot. The Tepui is the Autana model, I also have a 6x6 Tepui awning waiting to be installed...it was my wheeler turned overland XJ.

JPR4LFE

Adventurer
How are your Hankooks wearing? Mine are wearing like garbage.

I actually really like the Hancook Dynapro MTs on the Cherokee. I do a fair amount of gravel roads, interstate, and air down to 12 PSI nearly every time I am offroad, and they seem to be wearing well. I do rotate often though

F40

Adventurer
I actually really like the Hancook Dynapro MTs on the Cherokee. I do a fair amount of gravel roads, interstate, and air down to 12 PSI nearly every time I am offroad, and they seem to be wearing well. I do rotate often though

I have 32k miles on mine. Regular rotations. Inside lugs wore to uneven heights so they're super loud now. Only happened on the fronts(when they were last on there). May have been a toe issue though. Also lost 2mpg compared to the BFG AT's I had previously.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!

I have the same tires on my XJ, and find them to be a very good all around tire. Mine are wearing perfectly after 5+years and about 35,000 KM. I am sitting at about 50% tread remaining and perfect wear patterns. I have a few small cuts and minor chunking, but nothing out of the ordinary for the blasted rock FSR we have around here.

Mine are starting to harden up and dry out a little from age, so they will need to be replaced in the next year or so. Not horrible, just they way it goes with older tires.

I bought the Hankook ATm for my Jeep WK, and they are also a stellar tire. Rated number 1 last year for AT's and now so popular that they are hard to get a hold of. Lots of OEM using them now.

BNJeepsta

I have been building/destroying XJ's for about 10 years now and while I have an extensive background in Cherokee's, I'm just getting involved in the overland scene. I just read through this whole thread and I noticed a few things. First, all of you have awesome jeeps and it's great to see all the XJ love! Too often people get all wrapped up in wranglers and forget about how good the XJ really is! The second thing I noticed is all of the people running stock/stock style steering. How do you guys live with that?? Even if I could not destroy the stock stuff on the trail, it's a poor design to begin with and can be greatly improved on without breaking the bank. If you drive an XJ with inverted T or WJ crossover steering, you will NEVER want that junk inverted Y ever again. And the last thing I noticed was the amount of people running Rough Country stuff. I know it's cheap and all but, man, there is so much better stuff available. I am in no way trying to knock anyone's rig so, please, don't take offense.

Oh and when I get home I will post a few pics of my jeeps.

Last edited:

BNJeepsta

Wow, I post something and the thread dies....

Anyway, how do I upload pics? I tried and I just keeps saying the upload failed.

mudbutt

Explorer
Wow, I post something and the thread dies....

Anyway, how do I upload pics? I tried and I just keeps saying the upload failed.

When you click reply, a window opens up at the bottom of the page. If you look at the menu bar at the top of the window, click the third icon from the left that looks like a picture in a frame. That will allow you to choose pictures from your computer... HTH...Batarang.gif

FreemansXJ

Here is my 97...

3" Lift
33" KM2's
Fenders trimmed/bumpstops
4.0/AW4/D30/8.25 with an Aussie locker
ORFab front bumper

Keep at Krocks.jpg

Jeep at krocks 2.jpg

John

mtbxj87

Adventurer
This thread is on and off. It falls back then someone finds it. Like an xj, it will never really disappear, don't worry.
Don't get upset over people's steering, Yours works fine right?

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Stock steering on an XJ is certainly not great, and it is really undersized for anything but stock tires... no argument there. I will upgrade one day. Also, no real disagreement on the Rough Country stuff, it is OK for starters, but not that great. I have had a number of issues with mine, mostly minor however. X-Flex joints were crap, they failed at about 10,000 KM. Replaced with Currie rebuildable Johnny Joints...so much better. I will say my RC rear leafs have been good so far, but they are stiff.

I am a big fan of the IRO stuff, especially their Double Shear track bar setup. I wanted to go with their upgraded XJ steering setup, but it uses Heims and they are not legal here for on road use. For now, all my XJ does is sit around and drive me to the store on the weekends, so upgrades are on hold for the time being.

Looking forward to getting out with it more this year, pretty mild stuff however...and trailer towing duties.

:coffeedrink:

BNJeepsta

Stock steering on an XJ is certainly not great, and it is really undersized for anything but stock tires... no argument there. I will upgrade one day. Also, no real disagreement on the Rough Country stuff, it is OK for starters, but not that great. I have had a number of issues with mine, mostly minor however. X-Flex joints were crap, they failed at about 10,000 KM. Replaced with Currie rebuildable Johnny Joints...so much better. I will say my RC rear leafs have been good so far, but they are stiff.

I am a big fan of the IRO stuff, especially their Double Shear track bar setup. I wanted to go with their upgraded XJ steering setup, but it uses Heims and they are not legal here for on road use. For now, all my XJ does is sit around and drive me to the store on the weekends, so upgrades are on hold for the time being.

Looking forward to getting out with it more this year, pretty mild stuff however...and trailer towing duties.

:coffeedrink:

I completely missed this, sorry about that. I LOVE the IRO double shear track bar. I've tried a lot of different track bars and I always come back to them. As for the IRO steering, it's really not worth it anyway. Serious Offroad has really good steering that uses GM 1 ton TRE's and is cheaper than what IRO offers. Honestly, one of the best upgrades i've ever done is the full WJ swap. The brakes are 100x better than stock XJ and the steering is great!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3

Members online