Ozark Overland Rally (The beginning) March 28th-30th

jlandon

Get Dirty.
J,

Are the routes 'yacht' friendly?

Regards,

BWJ

The checkpoints will be friends with all capable vehicles, of any width. There may be a few stray branches here and there.

The bonus checkpoints will not be recommended for anyone larger than an 80 series or JK.

fishEH

Explorer
This looks awesome and I'm looking into whether or not I can swing it.
Couple questions:
1) what mapping resources would you recommend? Are there MVUM's available to make sure we stay on legal roads?
2) Timing/Scoring. So if I understand this right, you're going to run the "route" and your time will be the base time. Any variance, above or below your time, will result in points lost? Will any points be awarded/consideration given to those that choose a more challenging route? If your "ideal time" is known by the group what's to prevent a team from racing through it and just sitting at the finish line waiting to cross at exactly the same time as yours??

Thanks!! :)

jlandon

Get Dirty.
1) what mapping resources would you recommend? Are there MVUM's available to make sure we stay on legal roads?

A-Most checkpoints will be located on the roads in the MVUM, those that aren't will be on County or State roads. I recommend the MVUM, a good topo, and a regular gps.

I will get you a link to the most updated version of the mvum next time I am on a PC.

2) Timing/Scoring. So if I understand this right, you're going to run the "route" and your time will be the base time. Any variance, above or below your time, will result in points lost? Will any points be awarded/consideration given to those that choose a more challenging route? If your "ideal time" is known by the group what's to prevent a team from racing through it and just sitting at the finish line waiting to cross at exactly the same time as yours??

A-As of now, I will not publish my time until the finish of the event. I will have it on three different GPS units should someone want verification.

Hypothetical- My time was 10 hours or 600 minutes. (1 minute=1 point)

You completed the rally in 11 hrs or 660 minutes. Jose completed it in 9:45, or 585 minutes. You have a difference of 60 points, Jose has a difference of 15 minutes. Jose wins.

My intention is to set a time that is best suited for the terrain at a comfortable speed. I will be in a leaf sprung solid axle vehicle, for what its worth.

I will not provide a set route. Instead, I will provide a list of checkpoints with their respective long/lat given. It is up to a team to develop the route they will follow based on their ability to map.

Last edited:

XJINTX

Explorer
GREAT idea!!!

I am working on a TEXAS team... :)

Will locals have an advantage knowing the trails, markers and area?

Not that we are competive ;) but want a flat playing field ;) :)

jlandon

Get Dirty.
Yes, there is an inherent benefit to having local knowledge. I will even the playing field by noting which of the lines to take on some of the mud pits and water crossings.

A lot of info will be given to the captains of each team.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Jlandon, I would just like to applaud you and your associates for taking the time and effort to scout, organize, plan and implement this event. With the trend in the overlanding world towards pay-to-play events its nice to see a run similar to what was being done when this forum was much smaller and younger. While I won't be able to attend due to conflicts of time, I am enthusiastically watching your Rally evolve. I hope your event kicks some *** and that everyone involved has a great time.

jlandon

Get Dirty.
Jlandon, I would just like to applaud you and your associates for taking the time and effort to scout, organize, plan and implement this event. With the trend in the overlanding world towards pay-to-play events its nice to see a run similar to what was being done when this forum was much smaller and younger. While I won't be able to attend due to conflicts of time, I am enthusiastically watching your Rally evolve. I hope your event kicks some *** and that everyone involved has a great time.

Thank you! I have had a few great people stand by my side over the last year and they deserve to see this prosper!

I have some behind the scenes help right now, mainly with Facebook and social media.

I have a good friend who I have scouted the forest with on numerous occasions helping with the check points. He obviously won't compete!

I have a great photographer who is covering the event free of charge, Scott Brown @ lifestylesinlight.com.

Then my better half has set here and listened to me mull over the details for hours on end and I've only received one eye roll! (that I've noticed)

But, the event will be nothing without participants! I've got 4 registered teams and one on the verge. Let's get some out of state teams though!

CodyY

Explorer
First off: excellent work. Thank you.

Couple ?'s:

A. Bikes allowed? As a team or on a team?

B. Bonus points are described as "all points in the quickest time". Is this essentially a different class or is the transit time to these points considered outside the max 5 cp/day?

3 days@ 5 ea= 15 cp INCLUDING the bonus cp? Sorry for the confusion on my end.

jlandon

Get Dirty.
A. Bikes allowed? As a team or on a team?

As this is time based, I don't see why not. Regular team.

B. Bonus points are described as "all points in the quickest time". Is this essentially a different class

Different class, bikes would make this one impossible to win for non-bikes.

3 days@ 5 ea= 15 cp INCLUDING the bonus cp?

Negative, the bonus check points are additional and any number can be completed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77