Ozark Overland Rally (The beginning) March 28th-30th

BBailey

Explorer
The "ideal" time part if the OOR was by far the worst part of the Event. With no clue as to route, there was no way to even approximate an average speed which meant no way to figure time.

Even with 2 broken trackbar mounts and taking two horrifically difficult trails, the Garrett Overland team still finished hours ahead of the "ideal" time.

Would hope that next time there is a more objective way to judge the event.

Our biggest problem was not doing enough pre-event planning. But it's tough to do when you've never been to the area before. We also had a major GPS fail in day 1 though that ended up costing us very little actual time as we worked out the issue before checking in at the first waypoint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBailey

Explorer
based on the winning team's name, they were local and probably did not have to use a map much. That is just a guess. For the rest of the teams, Did you have to drive at higher speeds to make up the time? I'm just not sure how the whole "ideal time" worked? I hope to be there myself next time to find out!

I'd wager everyone used a map, if for no other reason than to identify the waypoints as we were only given lats and longs. Doubtful even locals would have been able to identify the waypoints without a map or GPS.

jlandon

Get Dirty.
The "ideal" time part if the OOR was by far the worst part of the Event. With no clue as to route, there was no way to even approximate an average speed which meant no way to figure time.

Even with 2 broken trackbar mounts and taking two horrifically difficult trails, the Garrett Overland team still finished hours ahead of the "ideal" time.

Would hope that next time there is a more objective way to judge the event.

Our biggest problem was not doing enough pre-event planning. But it's tough to do when you've never been to the area before. We also had a major GPS fail in day 1 though that ended up costing us very little actual time as we worked out the issue before checking in at the first waypoint.

Yep, we recognize this now. The first run is for teething issues, we are evaluating some other methods of timing or scoring. The USFS required us to limit our average dirt speed to less than 20 MPH. It was far lower than that.

Our day 1 took 9+ hours and averaged ~10 MPH. It was long, technical, and tiring.

Day 2 was 9 hours and we stayed on known good trail. Technical climbs for most of the day.

Day 3 took 2.5 hours and we hit 3 checkpoints.

It took us 20:08 overall.

When we were sitting at Checkpoints during the Rally, we noticed teams doing out and backs on checkpoints that had through roads to the next checkpoint. Looking back through photos, all top three teams took through roads on most occasions.

As for locals... I knew most of the Team Captains who signed up locally. I purposely chose checkpoints out of the norm for this reason. If they could navigate it without a map, then they deserve the win.

Last edited:

jlandon

Get Dirty.
based on the winning team's name, they were local and probably did not have to use a map much. That is just a guess. For the rest of the teams, Did you have to drive at higher speeds to make up the time? I'm just not sure how the whole "ideal time" worked? I hope to be there myself next time to find out!

The ideal time was set taking the road less traveled and connecting the checkpoints in a logical manner. Those teams that primitive camped and shared their route with me did it almost identically, which was in a loop. We did it clockwise while the majority of teams did it counter clockwise.

We were nervous to give out more information in fear of teams bottlenecking at checkpoints. Our current method prevented it but at the cost of being vague.

Rest assured... I'm dreaming up new ideas by the minute and bouncing them off of people when they warrant it.

XJINTX

Explorer
We too even with 3rd were way ahead of the prescribed time. We were not even closely familiar with the area. I really don't know what would be a fair way to time it??? Fastest would not really be fair or a lot of fun. We, as a team new to the area were enjoying the travel as much as competition. Maybe specific points and times for each day and best average wins? With the amount of teams I'm not sure two different courses are needed but maybe more bonuses.

I really enjoyed the event and no matter what is done for next time I'll be there :) Just will add an extra day or two to enjoy some paddling!!! Be cool to incorporate paddling in event maybe a bonus???

This looks like an awesome event and I'm sorry I missed it. Jlandon, your venue looks like a great spot to do a VOWC-type of scoring system:

http://www.vermontoverland.com/vowc/

The spectators at VOWC had as much fun as the participants.

Feel free to use this format and modify as you see fit. Hope to get down there next year!

Kole

Adventurer
Since this was the first ever event, I'd say it was done as well as it could have been. Now with actual data to review, I'm sure Jayston will have a few ideas on how to improve and throw in some more challenges.

I'm game for some paddling challenges!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77