Partner Stoves?

Sawyer

Adventurer
curious why the snow peak baja did not work out for you ? did you need two burners or ??

Yeah... with my wife, two kids, and often finding myself cooking for friends as well, I just felt we really needed a two burner stove.

I've had mine on a wooden picnic table before... it doesn't seem to transfer that much heat, or enough to scorch the wood.

I'll bite... what is the "McMaster-Carr Spresso mod?"

Thanks! And yubert pointed you to what I was referencing....

Honu

lost on the mainland
Sawyer thanks
(our 3 year old named Sawyer)

if you had two of the stoves would you have been happy or would it have been a fuel juggling thing ? did you find the fuel consumption to much on the cans etc.. ???

just curious as I started using the baja and like it so far still have a coleman I can use and love the IGT not sure if I want to convert something to the IGT or just convert the baja to propane to save carrying more fuel kinds :)

any thoughts ?

Sawyer

Adventurer
Honu,
I have mixed feelings on the Baja. It is built really well (everyone knows that... It is a SnowPeak). I didn't really pay super close attention to fuel usage because I also used the canisters for other things like the torch to start fires. I also didn't really feel like I had a ton of control over the flame. It put out a decent amount of heat... But, I struggled getting the flame low enough to simmer things. So, I don't know if two would have made me happy or not. And While I really like the snow Peak IGT set-up... I have always been a little conflicted about it. For one, I don't really like having to carry all the canisters, parts, etc. I also like a grill with a cover. I have always used either my Weber Smokey Joe or Go Anywhere. Neither of which are convenient to use with the IGT set-up. About the only hing I do like about the Snow Peak IGT set-up is the quality and craftsmanship, and L-shape configuration that brings everyone around for a more community style cooking experience. So, since I can't get what I want out of the SnowPeak IGT, I am working on designing something similar that offers more flexibility to use non-SnowPeak products. It will hopefully have adjustable legs so I wont need different legs to set up for different needs, fold up smaller, Etc.

I am headed camping the next two weekends. So, the partner will get a good break-in and I will know if I have finally ended my search. Then I will have a hard look at my grill set-up and decide if I will stay true to my charcoal roots... or make the switch to a good quality gas grill.....

Now to figure out exactly which nut inserts I need to work with the SS adjuster Spresso showed....

Honu

lost on the mainland
Sawyer :) thanks

yeah I can see the Baja is a bit touchy on the low from my limited use of it !

I also like the gather around and cook idea which is why I am switching to it
in my digging on snow peak stuff I came across a Korean or Chinese site where someone had snow peak knock off stuff and it had adjustable legs ? was kinda a cool idea

1958901118.jpg

1958901116.jpg

not sure if you ever saw this I did ?
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/77054-Snow-Peak-IGT-tweaks-a-gas-grill-amp-more

but the magma grills for gas are very nice and they have lots of cool mounting options etc. might get the brain going a bit for ya :)
the magma grill quality is snow peak level if not in some ways nicer ?

I hear ya on the charcoal and the gas and why my idea was to have both
often for kids hot dogs and burgers for us I might not want to start the charcoal etc.. also the cool down if its lunch leaving the hot charcoal or stopping by the road on a longer trek for lunch etc.. is where gas has advantages IMHO

so the idea of the two together I think is a nice combination

post up your ideas etc.. when ya get them going for sure :)

Last edited:

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Magma Marine Kettle II kudos

^^^ Over the years I've bought and used several propane and charcoal grills for our motorized off-road forays (including Solaire, SnowPeak BBQ Box, Weber, etc.). Each of them had more "low" points than the "high" points would outweigh.

But after vacillating back/forth for a couple months I finally bought a Magma Marine Kettle II (smaller of the two sizes offered) this past winter and have gotten substantial grill time here at home and a few weeks of camping this spring.

I do believe my search for near perfection in a portable grill is over. I fabbed a mount so I could quickly attach it to my tri-pod, like all the others that came before it, and it just works wonderfully. I like the round shape...I found a pizza stone that fits it perfectly and with a little flame from a torch it actually does a decent job on pizzas too!

The Magma II can be used as a burner for pan cooking too...but so far with the Partner Steel dual burner we always haul along I haven't had to use it as a burner.

Sawyer

Adventurer
Well the initial weekend ru with the Partner Stove worked flawlessly. This thing is amazing!
It fits great in my new chuckbox:
9h1f6u.jpg

Friday night my wife and I celebrated our 5 year anniversary. For dinner, I cooked up a pork tenderloin with a raspberry chipotle sauce, some polenta medallions, and an organic Kale salad with an sesame salad dressing, and some red wine.... We were very happy:
bet1tf.jpg

The one thing this trip did finalize for me was to switch to a propane grill and will be picking up one of the Magma grills this week...

Honu

lost on the mainland
good report back on the stove :) and nice looking dinner !! and if you got to go camping and she was cool on your 5th :) sounds like a wining combination for sure :) great meal camping and anniversary :)

Sawyer

Adventurer
Thanks Dan! Now just to get my espresso skills down.... Grasshopper must grab the pebble from the hand....

Honu - It really was a great combo.... she planned the trip and I planned the meal.

tacolex

Observer
Another source, one that I have had good luck with.

Cheaper than the one sold by AT. But has less BTU's.

AT sells a "Cook Partner steel stove" while River Connection sells a "Partner Steel stove"

http://www.riverconnection.com/burner-partner-steel-camping-stove-with-wind-screen-p-26.html

Just ordered an 18" stove from Bill. Had me a little confused here but Bill says they are the same stove with the same output of 10k btu. Can't wait to add this fine piece to my rig :)

tacolex

Observer
Got my stove the other day damn ups gave it a beauty mark before I could even break it in. Can't wait to test it out next weekend!! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342659351.503908.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1342659363.641293.jpg

Last edited:

Cee-Jay

Sasquatch
Got my 22" two-burner model w/ wind screen and stand about two weeks ago. I ordered directly from the manufacturer back in May...so it took a while to arrive. I wasn't in a hurry, but they told me I'd get it in about 7 days, so it was a bit disappointing that it took so much longer than originally forecasted.

I'm very impressed with the unit... very solid, lighter than I expected and clearly made to last. I'm hoping the knobs will break-in after more use... right now it's hard to get the flame adjusted precisely because the knob doesn't turn smoothly... when I release with my hand it will turn back a bit as if it's sticking. Also, it would be nice to have dots painted on the unit above the knobs to help with consistent adjustments levels (in certain light, it can be hard to judge by looking at the flame because the flame is hard to see).

When I purchased the stand I was told that one stand works for both the four and two-burner models. At the time, it didn't compute in my little brain that this meant the stand I purchased was going to be twice as deep as my two-burner stove. Still, it's a very nice stand and it came in an ultra tough canvas bag. I think I'll cut a piece of wood to fit the empty space for use as a counter. If the stand were narrower it probably wouldn't be all that stable on uneven ground anyway.

Overall, I'm impressed with the quality and care that's going in to this product.

Last edited:

kai38

Explorer
On this past weeks camping trip two friends had the Partner camp stoves. I really like them and will be replacing my Coleman this summer. They were running the stoves off of 10lb propane cylinders. I have a 5lb tank but don't always have the room to bring it. Will the Partners run off a 1lb cylinder? I noticed the hose that comes with them is for bulk cylinders, but does anyone make a different hose?.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk