paying for used vehicle from an individual?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The best transaction I had was when I sold my Cherokee. We both banked at Chase, so we walked into a branch and did an account to account transfer. No money or checks exchanged hands, and I had instant proof of funds.

Same here. Bought my current truck we sat at the bank and seller had an account there also. Just stood at the counter together and moved funds. Bought another car for grandpa a few months back same program. Its the only way to do it. Sold grandpas old truck, seller and gramps did the money gig at the bank. Those were all over 10k deals. My LC was cash in an envelope but that was 7k. No big deal. NO CHECKS!

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I've done plenty of deals with either cashier's checks or money wires. Never had an issue.

On occasions when I have sent someone out of state to purchase and pick up a vehicle, I'll send them with a cashier's check for maybe 80% of the amount and cash for the rest, in case the vehicle is not as represented but still worth purchasing but at a lower price.

And as others have said, you do the transaction at a location (like a bank) where you can get the title notarized and everything checked out and be safe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design