Pickup vs. suv

HotrodSmurf

Observer
I was hoping someone with a 80 land cruiser would chime in. I have been looking into them a lot recently. Seems perfect, except for my aversion to toyotas. They might just be sweet enough to overcome my pride. I6 engine, solid axles, a REAL frame. Local car lot has one i'ma go drive it tomorrow if I can stop staring at the sas'ed bronco next to it.

:rolleyes: "Did you guys not read his original message? His budget is $8k."

Yes, I read it. :oops: The mention about the Suburban was not about the year but rather about an SUV option. I am guilty of not being grounded in time, though. I consider anything with OBD II to be newer. :sombrero:

HotrodSmurf

Observer
Sorry I skipped over why I don't like my wj. its a limited with the overly complicated v8 and a billion gizmos. The driver side blend door crapped out beginning of winter leaving me with no heat till I attacked it with duct tape, it doesn't get that good of gas mileage for its size, it is next to impossible to fix in my driveway, 4 high is just one wheel drive, 4 low isn't really low at all (quadratrac) and I haven't heard anything good about the 4.7 since I bought it. I've talked to a few chrysler mechanics that say they are trash.

I want something like the 92 f150 I traded in on the jeep. regular cab, short bed. Stock height and 31s it went anywhere I pointed it, just dug a few trenches with the receiver hitch. And removed the airdam with a rock. Simple to work on as far as efi goes, enough power to get it done with a 5.0. True part time 4x4. I know the jeep can be built to be better but I just don't like it enough to spend more money on it, and.i don't really trust it. If you really want one go for selectrac and the I6. That'd be a pretty good setup.

6x6pinz

Adventurer
When the kids were young we did the chevy AWD astro (worked better than I thought on mild muddy trails) and a Dodge Durango 4X. The SUV was nice but I have always had a pickup in the drive. The family did not fit in the pickup so that was only when I went alone. I fixed that later with a crewcab F350. All that said I would look at an SUV for your needs. Should not be too difficult to find a lightly used 4X suv in your price range. You can always get what you want once the family settles into its new "normal". You might find the kids don't care for the trail rides as much as you do and more time is spent at soccer fields or dance classes than you currently think will happen.

NH Moto Expo

Adventurer
Had a truck and while I liked the fact that I could put "dirty stuff" in back what I didn't like was all of the dust back there. If I could only keep it dust free in the back I would get another truck, but I like an SUV better for hauling dogs around to hunting areas.

I am a Ford truck lover but I bought a 1997 Yukon for your exact same situation. I had lots of highway trips with newborn and I have two smaller breed dogs. I bought it because:
-GM 350 is uber simple and cheap to repair, not alot of aftermarket but there is enough power for most
-has a reasonable abount of towing capacity
-it can do broddy's in a normal city street
-easy access to the baby's car seat, my wife at 5'2" has a little trouble reaching in for the boyo but she can use the running board if she needs
-the SLT is about all that is needed for creature comfort, the suburbans had rear HVAC but you can add that to the Yukon or upgrade to the Burb if you find you want it
-the Yukon is way smaller than the Burbs
-the rear windows are 100% child proof since the only come down about 8" because of the shorter rear doors
-I added floor brackets for a third row seat and now can tote 8 people easily
-for a small family of 3 all of you can sleep in the rear cargo area if you fold down the 2nd row of seats
-the cost of replacement parts is uber-cheap...junkyards have lots of 1988-2001 GM trucks and suvs.....a good indicator of parts costs is a window regulator or ujoint repair
-I paid $5000 for my Yukon with 145,000 miles and I have seen them with upwards of 200k on this exact drivetrain in lots of different platforms
-we get 12mpg in town and 16mpg on the highway, which is the same as we got with our 2002 Explorer that I was cramped in when I drove
-the cost for Liability and PIP for 12 months was $474!!!!! Way cheaper than any other vehicle we had quoted
-If you found one with the 6.5L Diesel you could be better off than the gasser but IMO it isn't worth the added problems the 6.5L Turbo engines had, a buddy has a $7000 6.5L engine in his 1995 Dually crew cab that might blue book out at $5000??? So if the 350 craps out under my ownership I will rebuild it or find a junkyard pullout and keep it gas
-I have a large dog crate that fits in the back of the Yukon perfectly so the doggos can get trashed in mud and the interior stays clean
-I can lay the second row seats down and load enough tooling to rebuild a log truck engine, short of the sky hook!

Cons to the mid 90's GM SUVs:
-4L60E is not the strongest (however it is old enough that it can be repaired to bulletproof with aftermarket support, and it is worth repairing)
-the rear door windows don't go down all the way (built in child saftey)
-Not a Ford but the Centurion's are hard to find
-Axles are not the strongest for big tires (these chassis are very common for SAS and easy upgraders)

I would deffinatly go with the Yukon again since everything that the Suburbans have over the Yukon can be added to the Yukon except for the monstrous curb size. I plan on eventually adding a rear space heater if it ends up being needed as well as upgrading the front bucket seats to ones out of a Chevy Equinox that has leather and heat, the seats from 1997 are comfortable but nobody considered seat back support utill after 2004 apparently.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Oh, I forgot one more point on the truck vs SUV issue: Assuming you are buying used, it's my experience that a truck is more likely to have been heavily used/abused (either as a recreational vehicle or as a work truck) whereas an SUV, especially a late model one, is more likely to have been a "soccer mom mobile" and never left the pavement.

bushnut

Adventurer
I'm for the Nissan Pathfinder(wd21 or R50)...just a little bigger than an XJ, cheeper than a 4Runner. selectable 4x4 with Lo range. good approach/break over and departure angles. 80ish cubic ft. of storage. reliable if somewhat sluggish engine (no speeding tickets!). Very user serviceable. Fuel milage is average.(nobody buys a 4x4 for it's fuel economy) most have been used by soccer moms so are in good shape. If you live in the RUST BELT there are some issues but it's easy enough to find a good one.

Bdiddy11

Adventurer
My wife and I were in a similar predicament... truck vs. SUV but more as a daily driver scenario. We really liked the 4door crew cab Frontier. On paper the interior (05+) dimensions are better than the 4 door Tacomas, of any generation. They are cheaper as well. We also looked at a crew cab F150 as space is abundant and we can always use the pickup bed... we also looked at SUVS since most trucks get crap MPG. Being that this vehicle would be my wife's and baby hauler we looked at something a little more fuel efficient.

We ended up getting a 2013 Jeep Patriot. I know a lot of people hate on them, but it's more of a DD than it is expo vehicle. I'll be selling my XJ and getting a full size Montero for weekend warrior/DD/overlanding and bigger family hauler.

My wife had an XJ and I really wanted more interior space since we're planning on having a second child. The biggest issue was fitting at least 2 car seats, one rear facing and one forward. I didn't want to buy a vehicle that we'd have to swap out in a few years or whatever due to no space. The MPG for a somewhat "off-roadable" rig is good. We got the Freedom Drive 1 so we're getting roughly 21/22 city and 25ish freeway.

I know a Patriot is probably out of your budget, but if you want longevity for a growing family, a biggerish SUV might be the way to go, like some of the suggestions here or look at the full size Montero. IFS and solid rear axle so it rides a little smoother, more spacious interior than an XJ, good/great off-road capability depending on what you like to do. Pretty decent on gas considering size/dimensions (14/18ish), within your price range for pretty much any generation Montero.

You can get Monteros with a stock locker so you wouldn't have to do many mods $$ for awhile to enjoy the outdoors. You'd be good to go in stock form with decent tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy