Pics of your VAN! Post up!

vwhammer

Adventurer
Bruce Vanner!

Well its Friday and I am sitting at home having a beer or two... or three.... Maybe more?

Anyway I thought I might as well show my new ride.
Maybe I missed a more suitable location for introductions but, given my new purchase, I figured this would do.
I bailed on my problematic 99 Discovery and picked a slightly less problematic 85 seven passenger VW Vanagon.
My wife has affectionately dubbed it Bruce Vanner. (incredible hulk reference)
Given my plans for transformation from milquetoast to monster that's what I am rolling with; hence the post title.

It's not much to look at in its current condition but like most people on the forums I have some serious plans.
These plans start out small with some simple repairs to make it reliable so I can start using it for some trips.
After some more research and some design work it will eventually end up with a 4wd system of my own design as well as a few select upgrades.
I will save the details of the transformation for another thread so without further ado here is my pile of style.

Its not in terrible shape: Its running and drivable and only has 81,000 miles.

More to come...

Last edited:

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
I too joined the frey of 1985 2wd Vanagon Tin Tops recently! I wanted one of these things since high school (got impatient and ended up with a bug instead) and its an itch that just wouldn't go away so I figured why not now? I found a pretty clean van with working a/c and a diesel conversion in California. I flew out with the new pup, met up with Suntinez and the Adventure Duo, and drove it home with some stops along the way. Overall its a pretty solid van, needs new brakes and a few maintenance item, but so far I'm very happy with it. I'm averaging 26mpg, and on my return trip from Buses By the Bridge last weekend I got 30mpg. We are still getting to know each other, but it should be a long and happy relationship!

20140103_132458.jpg

20140117_131414.jpg

IMG_20140108_151027.jpg

ihatemybike

Explorer
Nice lookin tin top! Keeping it stock?

I follow the blog of a guy who has spent the past year-ish modifying one for him to live in full time. Camper conversion, lots of solar, Ford Zetec engine, lift, bed liner paint job.
www.tosimplify.net

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
Thanks! The photos make it look better than it is...a few dings that need repaired and its in need of new paint on the roof and a few other spots, but overall good shape, no rust except on the dings. :rolleyes:

If you mean stock as in turning it into a Westy or Weekender, then yes, I do plan on keeping it a plain old tin top passenger. I wanted a tin top specifically because I wanted the larger bed (2 of us and a dog) and didn't want to mess with all the systems and extra weight. But I'm in the midst of chasing an oil leak, a new suspension upgrade and a few other goodies to make it more comfortable. Will be installing a dual battery for a fridge that Suntinez has been so kind to let me borrow for a moment. My whole theory with going this route was "less is more" and I'm trying to get back to the minimalist roots I once had.

freako

My 2009 Chevy Express AWD

1528453_10201106711366081_1012376769_n.jpg

2009 Chevy Express AWD van with Stabilitrak. 130k miles. No rust and was maintained very nicely by previous owner. Like new. I painted the rims black satin. A great vehicle we use to pull our 17 foot travel trailer with.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3