Pics of your VAN! Post up!

kccourtney

Observer
Unsupervised in Zion

So cool to see people gettin out in their rigs. I love seeing all of the camping from different areas. Me and three friends somehow all got a pass for the same weekend and used it wisely. Did a couple good slot canyons in the park and rode ourselves silly.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 128
  • FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    310.5 KB · Views: 125
  • FullSizeRender (3).jpg
    FullSizeRender (3).jpg
    553.3 KB · Views: 110
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0519.JPG
    IMG_0519.JPG
    331.9 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0520.jpg
    IMG_0520.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 91

Richey144

So cool to see people gettin out in their rigs. I love seeing all of the camping from different areas. Me and three friends somehow all got a pass for the same weekend and used it wisely. Did a couple good slot canyons in the park and rode ourselves silly.
Wow great looking rig!

bozwell13

Adventure Dad

man, that rig is a bruiser, wish the wife would let me lift Richard that big...

Petrolburner

Explorer
Finally got my bumper from WeldTecDesigns painted in POR-15, polished the aluminum skid plate and replaced some of the skid plate hardware with stainless steel. Now I just need to wire the solenoid, mount the aluminum fairlead for the synthetic line and spool it on. I almost needed it yesterday when I whipped a U-turn just before the photo and got crossed up in some loose sandy stuff. Some back and forth driving got me out without resorting to my traction boards or airing down. Maybe it wasn't that close after all.

13445706_10101225180151663_1685331692542903943_n.jpg

tgreening

Expedition Leader
If you didn't topcoat that por-15 with something it'll turn color. It's not made for direct UV exposure unless you use their top coat, or some top coat of your choice.

Accrete

Explorer
great looking bumper! And I agree w/the above post on the top coating of por-15. Great stuff, but left alone a project (painted w/black por 15) faded to grey in under a year even in our PNW.

Thom

Petrolburner

Explorer
If you didn't topcoat that por-15 with something it'll turn color. It's not made for direct UV exposure unless you use their top coat, or some top coat of your choice.

Yeah I didn't know that until I looked into it. I did regular black POR-15 for a base coat and then two coats of POR-15 brand's silver top coat. The top coat didn't leave nearly as nice of a finish as the regular stuff. The regular black looks like it was dipped in glass and the top coat is more of a chalky matte. We'll see how it holds up. I bashed it with some sage brush and it's fine so far.

jdharrin

Observer

That is a sweet rig, what bike rack is that? That is exactly what I've been looking for assuming the door can handle the weight when open.

DylanBCS

I scrolled through this whole thread over the past couple days (this lead to browsing several build threads:coffeedrink:) and I'm extremely inspired after all that! So it's time to post mine.IMAG0078_1.jpg
I've had this 99 e350 5.4 for a little over a month now and I love it! It was a motovan when I bought it, so the stickers were the PO's sponsors. I've been tackling basic maintenance and a few rust issues before I start an interior camper build (which will be accompanied by a build thread:wings:).

kccourtney

Observer
That is a sweet rig, what bike rack is that? That is exactly what I've been looking for assuming the door can handle the weight when open.

Jdharrin,

Thanks, I actually fabbed that from a cheap van door ladder. I cut the rungs off, spaced out the sidebars to just the right width, welded two Yakima crossbars to it, and had it powdercoated. There's no problem with the weight while the door is open but to be honest this was the first trip I used it for heavy mountain bikes and its a little much for the door. The top of the door tends to vibrate alot while under way because the upper door hinge is only halfway up the door so it's a lot of leverage. It works sweet for road bikes or light Xcountry bikes though. I also had another tray style rack on the front but recently had to cut off the front receiver to get my UJOR hangers on. Just gonna have to wait for the coffers to fill back up and get a HNC front bumper with hitch.
Oh, and another thing to consider is to make sure you mount the cross bars on nice and high. Even though is a PITA to get the bikes on there, it preserves your departure angle. I didn't do that (but I just make sure that my bike is the one that's mounted facing down (higher) ; )

hyperboarder

Adventurer
Jdharrin,

Thanks, I actually fabbed that from a cheap van door ladder. I cut the rungs off, spaced out the sidebars to just the right width, welded two Yakima crossbars to it, and had it powdercoated. There's no problem with the weight while the door is open but to be honest this was the first trip I used it for heavy mountain bikes and its a little much for the door. The top of the door tends to vibrate alot while under way because the upper door hinge is only halfway up the door so it's a lot of leverage. It works sweet for road bikes or light Xcountry bikes though. I also had another tray style rack on the front but recently had to cut off the front receiver to get my UJOR hangers on. Just gonna have to wait for the coffers to fill back up and get a HNC front bumper with hitch.
Oh, and another thing to consider is to make sure you mount the cross bars on nice and high. Even though is a PITA to get the bikes on there, it preserves your departure angle. I didn't do that (but I just make sure that my bike is the one that's mounted facing down (higher) ; )

Thanks for the explanation, adding another ladder to my junkyard hunting list. What tire carrier are you using?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad