Pics of your VAN! Post up!

DKrause

New project van.

Spent last week completely stripping the interior, installing power door locks, backup camera, stereo, and MaxxFan roof vent. Also, repaired the A/C vacuum so the front and rear A/C blows where it's supposed to do even when climbing hills. (PITA)

Arriving this week, 300LBS of Dynamat sound deadener, insulation, and 4 100w flexible solar panels. Gotta love projects!

IMG_8401-X3.jpg

DKrause

Any pics of your Maxxfan install?

Anything you're looking for specifically? The van is pretty stripped right now, I can get you all the pics you'd like.

Attached are a couple I took while installing.. Cutting the hole in the roof was mostly painless, did it from the top so I wasn't getting hot metal dust raining down in my eyes.

IMG_8380-X3.jpg

IMG_8384-X3.jpg

IMG_8395-X3.jpg

IMG_8383-X3.jpg

DKrause

I went "cheap and lazy", mostly since I live in the desert southwest, where rain is freakin' rare.

I rolled up about a foot of the butyl sealant tape into a ball, and pressed it into the void created by the ribs. Smoothed it flat, then placed the butyl tape around the opening as a double layer of tape. The 4 screws that enter the roof on the angle slope of the rib, I tweaked over toward the center a bit to try to grab the flat part of the steel. Not sure that was worth the effort. Once the unit was mounted, I "blobbed" the 20-year "Lap Sealant" around the fan. Let it harden for a week. I've since run it through a couple angry car washes without leaks. I do not know how long it will last, so I plan on making the ceiling around it easily removable in case I have to remove the fan and try again. But it looks good so far.

IMG_8408-X3.jpg

(Man, only another week, and it's dirty!)

bozwell13

Adventure Dad
Moby ******** (we call him Richard) Duramax turtle top van maiden voyage

208.jpg142.jpg149.jpg2016071195202144.jpg
Rolled up to the ghost town of Bonanza, near Salida Colorado, we really love the Duramax power plant and the turtle top, both awesome set ups. Even with a very high platform and an 8inch thick queen size mattress, the high top allows me (5'11") to sit upright on the bed with a foot to spare above me. The van weighed in at 7900 lbs with nothing in it but the bed frame. I figure loaded with a full tank, 20 gal water, food, 2 big ice chests, camping stuff, the camp kitchen, a family of 4, 2 dogs etc we roared over Wolf Creek Pass (10800ft) at about 5 tons of fun and more like 7 tons with the trailer in tow. I just added tint, bed platform, truck vault camp kitchen, 265/75/16 BFG ATKO tires, I have a 2.5 inch lift, Hella lights and some other goodies next. My wife and kids set me up with my very own footed camo jammies to keep me toasty and warm...

Last edited:

bozwell13

Adventure Dad
That looks like an awesome setup, that high top is a very expensive and super useful addition, you will love the room it adds...

Jo_Duval

Observer
yeah so far we only had an inflatable mattress on the floor and our camping stuff in bins. but its amazing to be able to stand in the van. we had an awesome deal on it almost the price of the hightop itself. the van has about 70 000miles and its suprinsingly better on gas than the Gmc Canyon I sold.

Thanks

GNTY

Adventurer
d420ddf569290187265ab468e7a609b3.jpg
Glacier NP, MT. A beautiful place and a ton of places to boondock.

Great area indeed wanderweg, we were just there over the weekend. So in the spirit of Glacier NP and the Going to the sun road here's ours in the same spot.
28111058600_0cf9b28494_b.jpg
[/url]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach