Pics or Diagrams of RTT Mounted On/In/Over Truck Bed Wanted

I am looking for pictures of how you guys and gals mounted your roof top tents on your truck beds. I don't have a topper and I don't plan on buying one. I'm looking for mounting options for a RTT on an open truck bed. Thank you.

Bjorn

ColinTheCop

Adventurer
Mine started here, but ended up on the roof as when I lifted the rear bed cover it caught on the rear roll bar.

Drive+077.jpg

Drive+079.jpg

Drive+081.jpg

It fitted straight onto my Mountain Top cover as the cover has a rail around the edge.

Drive+032.jpg

Thanks ColinTheCop. Those are the types of pictures I'm looking for. Anyone else? Store bought or homemade anything goes...

Bjorn

Greg,

That's a very nice RTT holder. Do you have any pics on how it attaches to the bed? Did you design it yourself? If so... Why did you curve the support beams? Does it add strength or is it just for a little flash? :) How much room is there between the cab and the rack? You have flexed the truck... does it come close to touching with the frame twist of the box? Sorry for all of the questions.... I'm looking for a Winter project.

Bjorn

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I'm running the new Bakkie system from Equipt, first one in the states I beleive though he has more in stock ;)

Have had it on a couple of trips thus far, with another planned this weekend. I installed it late last month in prep for the annual "Outlaws Run", we spent 5 days bombing through Southern Utah including a time shattering 4.5 hour night run from Hanksville to the Dollhouse via Poison Spring (takes 6-8 usually). The Bakkie didn't skip a beat, though I must admit I was slightly worried about the aluminum over such rough terrain. So far so good :cool:

ARGH!!! Just tried to attach pics to no avail :REOutShootinghunter

EDIT: I'll host them to my site

DSC06371%20(Medium).JPG

Fall_Exploit%20(17)%20(Medium).jpg

Fall_Exploit%20(43)%20(Medium).jpg

Fall_Exploit%20(135)%20(Medium).jpg

Last edited:
Hi Kurt,

Thanks for posting those pics. I have a plan in my head for the rack I want to build. It would incorporate a RTT, side awning, and Canoe rack... I have a friend down the street that owns his own welding company so that helps. I have a rough sketch drawn out but would still like to see how others have done it. Thanks again.

Bjorn

viatierra

Explorer
Thanks Bjorn!
I remember going through some of the same questions. I had a very simple design that I took to a local fabricator. He added the flash since he "didn't want it to look like a painter's rack". The styling matches elements of the truck and I really like it. I just measured the space between the cab & rack: 1" in the center, 2" by the doors due to the roof slope. I'm not much of a rock crawler, but I've flexed it out several times with no problem. I should make a point to get out and notice how close it gets. I posed this same question to DesertDude who has the same kind of rack. He hasn't had any issues with 1" spacing either. The fabricator I used was a little concerned with stability from side to side and I thought there might be vibration on the front piece when I use the lights... but it is proven to be real solid. It is attached by bolting onto the adjustable tie-down tracks that come from Toyota. I'll find a picture and attach it here in a minute.
olympiccop2002 said:
Greg,

That's a very nice RTT holder. Do you have any pics on how it attaches to the bed? Did you design it yourself? If so... Why did you curve the support beams? Does it add strength or is it just for a little flash? :) How much room is there between the cab and the rack? You have flexed the truck... does it come close to touching with the frame twist of the box? Sorry for all of the questions.... I'm looking for a Winter project.

Bjorn

viatierra

Explorer
by the way, I like your idea for incorporating the other features... especially an awning. I've been thinking about a clever way to add one on. Look forward to checking out what you come up with.

amortgage6

mounting a RTT

I have an Autohome Columbus and I use a Thule Pro rack to Mount it on. Its all aluminum very sturdy , height adjustable and sits on top of your bed rails and attaches with bracket (no drilling) $500 new you still have full use of your truck bed and about 48 inches of clearance

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy