Picture Request: Custom Decals/Paintjobs

Cole

Expedition Leader
This makes me miss my KTM...the only two-wheeler I regret selling. :drool:

Nah....just eats tires :coffeedrink:

8515135684_f9ffdfc6b5_b.jpg

Van content!:coffeedrink: This was a few days ago helping "Geek" prep his van for Plasti-dip

15150936322_8416de96f3_b.jpg

ODxxx-XL.jpg

Geek

Observer
It is camo green.
SPRINTER-dip.jpg

I've only done the front 3rd of the van so far. Fingers crossed it warms up enough I can spray some more before full winter arrives (I live at 8000 feet)

:friday:

p.s painting a sprinter is like painting a house :Wow1::D

Last edited:

tgreening

Expedition Leader
What did you use for a sprayer? Is that a flat green or did you mix some glossifier in to give it a bit of shine? I've been agonizing over paint, wrap, or dip. The size of the ambo is a bit intimidating from a dyi standpoint. I like the idea of dip because it's a lot easier/cheaper when you want to change things up.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Ambo wraps are a little bit cheaper to wrap than vans because the sides are flat, making them take less time. Our Ambo was only a few hundred more than our Prius even though it used a lot more material.

Geek

Observer
What did you use for a sprayer? Is that a flat green or did you mix some glossifier in to give it a bit of shine? I've been agonizing over paint, wrap, or dip. The size of the ambo is a bit intimidating from a dyi standpoint. I like the idea of dip because it's a lot easier/cheaper when you want to change things up.

The Camo Green by default is flat. I like the flat finish and did not add any glossifier or anything but you can find photos out there of what the camo looks glossified.

This is the sprayer I used: http://bit.ly/1tywPkv

It is built specifically for plastidip and it is super easy to use/clean.

Here is there video all about it:
https://bit.ly/1qjHwK5

and here is a follow up video they made about how to maintain it (very useful!):
https://bit.ly/1tyxFh3

:friday:

tgreening

Expedition Leader
From a diy stanpoint, 1-10 difficulty scale, whadaya think? Did you buy your dip ready to spray from dyc? I just got that exact sprayer from them, and a gallon of white to dink around with, but havent done anything yet.

I was really liking that camo green but hadn't seen anything from the "real world" till yours. Surface looks pretty smooth in your pic. Are you happy with how it's turning out?

Geek

Observer
This is the dip:
http://bit.ly/1lWQiwy
It is important to buy the "spray" and not just a gallon of dip.
You can dilute your own but it ends up working completely differently - they have a video showing the difference.

difficulty: not bad - but I did work in an aircraft paintshop 30 years ago so I know the fundamentals of quality prep. I could have done it with less prep but I want it to last.
There is a LOT of prep work. I spent 3 days prepping just the front half of the van between detailing/scrubbing/masking/disassembly.

Difficulty: 2 if you've painted before. 5 if you've not done it before. Plastidip is very forgiving as a paint.
Amount of work: 8 (but a Sprinter is huge - so less if your vehicle is smaller).

The Sprinter being 10 feet tall also presents its own challenges :) I did things "right". Removed the grill, badges, side panels, etc.

There is a full write up in my build thread here:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=715683
(warning - the thread is something like 3500 posts long :) )

Some random pics:
IMG_2445-L.jpg

IMG_2535-L.jpg

IMG_2559-L.jpg

Here you can see the difference between the non-prepped paint and the prepped - I literally scrubbed every square inch 3 different times:
IMG_2549-L.jpg

IMG_2558-L.jpg

Turning my workshop into a giant paint booth was its own kind of challenge:
mask-L.jpg

IMG_2551-L.jpg

IMG_2556-L.jpg

This was at 3 coats:
IMG_2579-L.jpg

I put 4 coats on everything and 6 coats on the hood/front fascia where the rock chips occur

Disassembling/cleaning the sprayer after a day of spraying:
IMG_2584-L.jpg

One tip:

I need 9 gallons total.
I ordered 6 gallons to start.
My first order got me "693 dip points". 1 Gallon of Camo Green costs 700 dip points.

That means when I ordered another 3 gallons. I was able to getlike 95% off one of the gallons due to "dip points". Saved me $70! :)

I hope all this helps.
Cheers,
Ed

Last edited:

Geek

Observer
p.s. how this M3 turned out is what sold me on the color :)

M3dip-L.jpg

I'll post more pics of mine when it is done.

ODxxx-L.jpg

Last edited:

jumbo215

Im also a fan of OD green, mine started with a few beers and some buddies wondering how cool would the van look being OD green. Ended with a sunny day about 13 cans of paint. Actually all of the OD green in North Seattle area. Then I had to top it off with a bad *** star

P8070212.jpg

86scotty

Cynic
Nice job! You win the award for Plasti-dip prep. I think most dip users use it just so they don't have to do any of that. Um, like me.

Geek

Observer
Update:

I spent the last couple of days prepping the back half...

ea45c95c86f029272feaff4c97c3c303.jpg

...and finally dipped it this afternoon.

1f82ba0de089ac360c96580809fcbe37.jpg

.mobile

tgreening

Expedition Leader
It looks awesome, but one question. Why did you remove all those trim pieces? One of the "advantages" of the dip is you don't have to. While it costs you in wasted dip, you can for the most part just spray right over that stuff and just peel it off when done. I realize there is time invested in peeling off the unwanted bits, but did you figure it would take more time to peel the dip off the trim, than just removing the trim in the first place? It's not a critique by any stretch, I'm just curious your thought process on it, because I've been wondering the same thing. Mine will be similar to yours time/effort wise because it's an E-350 ambulance and there is a boatload of surface and trim pieces.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven