Picture Request: Custom Decals/Paintjobs

Geek

Observer
Under the trim is where Sprinters often begin to rust as they hold water.

Many UK owners pop the trim pieces and rhino line / seal underneath.

My primary goal in dipping is to keep the notoriously ****ty paint protected.

Cheers, Ed

Ps from a time point of view, it takes 30 seconds to pop the panels off if you have the right tool. Even if there wasn't a rust issue I would likely still remove them as dip spraying is way easier as you wouldn't have to try and edge them.
Anywhere there is a junction or gap you spend quiet a bit of your spray time trying to get good coverage into the gaps without getting any runs. The "edges" of my removed panels are all perfect... Because there was no edge :)
.mobile

Last edited:

Geek

Observer
Gloomy skies do not make for the best photography but I had to snap a couple of photos of the finished product here in my neighborhood this evening before it got dark

GoldenGateSprinter-FR-XL.jpg

GoldenGateSprinter-RL-XL.jpg

tgreening

Expedition Leader
That looks awesome. You did a bang up job on that. When my ambo is ready I think I might swing by your place and have you whip another one out. :) I just can't make up my mind about the color.

Geek

Observer
Acheateaux:

Assuming you already own a spray system, 400 rolls of masking tape, 30,000 feet of plastic, etc... :sombrero:

The camo dip is $70/gallon.
I think black dip is cheaper - like $60.
Pearlizers are more expensive.

It will take between 6 and 9 gallons depending on how much you put on and what size your Sprinter is.

More detailed information:
Sprayer I used: http://bit.ly/1tywPkv
Spray gallons I used: http://bit.ly/1lWQiwy
Other colors: http://bit.ly/1qo6Cl2

BTW: I highly recommend tape & drape.. it saved me a huge amount of time!:
http://bit.ly/1mEwvm3

Tip: I lucked into this:

Because of the amount of dip I used I ordered it in two batches.
My first order was $693 which gave me "693 dip points" from DYC.
Then, when I went to order 3 more gallons, it turns out 1 gallon of camo is 700 dip points - so I basically got a gallon for free by ordering mine in two orders (although shipping obviously cost more in two orders).

Hope this helps.
:friday:

cheers,
Ed

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
GEEK

Great job on the Sprinter! We are considering have a shop do ours. How is the maintenance and resilience of it so far?

flightcancled

Explorer
Have to ask: you put a ton of time and money into prep an dip, why not just paint or bed-line the Sprinter?

My plan for my ambo has been to go with grey and black Raptor bed liner which would require 2 coats and probably 4 gallons totaling $500+ with a free sprayer. Sounds like you are in for $700+ in dip plus a sprayer to do 3-6 coats on a sprinter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Geek

Observer
Because I can easily remove my dip and in an afternoon restore the van to its easily resellable (and more valuable original) "cargo van white color".

Cheers
.mobile

... Get a few quotes on quality (or *******ty) paint jobs on a sprinter - minimum $2,000 if your neighbor-in-law sprays it in the driveway. The dip is much cheaper and removable.

ADVANTR

What's up guys, I have enjoyed reading this thread. Was psyched to see other people using plasti-dip on their vans. I just started screwing around with this product the past couple of days so great timing on this thread. I had originally planned to wrap the vehicle with vinyl. But after realizing it would be 2500+, I was not exactly too psyched about it. I think I could come up with a better use of that cash. (surf trips, winch, downpipe for my WRX, sexy panties for the fem...just to name a few things) Also, I thought about tackling myself, but I don't really love body work. Everyone knows it takes LOTS of time to do it right, and you may still get it wrong.

Here I am including a picture of some recent testing with the plastidip. Just wanted to get a feel for it. Will likely be adding some red/orange and other types of designs over the next couple of weeks. There is certainly a bit of a learning curve....so happy it is easily removable.

IMG_4324.JPG

I will update with a few other pics in the future as we screw around some more with it:bike_rider:

why3zx

Observer
A word of caution about dip, and doing an insane prep job before you dip. Two years ago I did the same thing on a couple of front truck bumpers, insane ammount of prep and sprayed them with Dip, 6 coats, looked great for about 9 months, then started to rock chip, really bad to the point of being pretty much a negative to the looks of the pickups. Well at this point plasti-dip DOES NOT just peel off, it is stuck and looks like either harsh chem or sanding to get it off, pretty much going to say goodbye to the finish on the bumpers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven