Picture request: Show me your ladders!!!!

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
After a recent trip I decided that a ladder is going to be a must for me.
I'd like to see how others have mounted their ladders to vans and any creative ladder solutions.
Let's see them!!

spencyg

This Space For Rent
Here's mine.

It integrates into one side of the swing outs on my rear bumper.

With both swing-outs closed gaining access to the ladder is very tricky, so this provides a reasonable amount of security as well. The roof rack build which is scheduled for next spring will incorporate the upper part of the ladder. As it is currently configured I can easily gain roof access without the upper portion.

SG

boardrider247

Thanks Spence. In my head I would like to build a bumper with swing outs. But in reality I don't need it. So I think I'm looking for something that will mount on the side of the van. I'll probably end up building and aluminess copy.

Cole

Expedition Leader
I've been thinking about a ladder for my Sprinter so I have a few images saved.

One of my thoughts it that I want to restrict roof access when not in use. So I may build mine inside the rear door.

But....here are some I've seen.

14441680495_d95fb295ef_o_d.jpg

This one is made of 80/20

15167493082_0b7e1c5671_b_d.jpg

14981257290_efa1fb9384_o_d.jpg

Last edited:

boardrider247

Hmmmm I do like the idea of having the ladder inside the back door. I may have to play with a mock up and see if that will work for me.

Maybe something mounted to a pivot on the top of the door frame that tilts out and extends down to the ground?

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Hmmmm I do like the idea of having the ladder inside the back door. I may have to play with a mock up and see if that will work for me.

Maybe something mounted to a pivot on the top of the door frame that tilts out and extends down to the ground?

For that I'd look at 1/2 of one of the Costco step ladders. You could easily hindge it from the top of the door & extend it to the ground when the door was open. Although if you were using a roof top tent, I'd make a receiver that it would conect to above the door, and have it removable... That way when you were stopped you could install it and have a real ladder that you could climb up.

I think I may have that same ladder off my Ford Sportsmobile. Mine locks into the gutter at the top and then only two screws to hold the bottom portion. Really simple but strong. Mine has a rough finish on the rungs which is helpful for traction. I'm in Vermont. Where are you? Would be willing to let it go pretty reasonably.

Bill

Eric3187

Adventurer
I think I may have that same ladder off my Ford Sportsmobile. Mine locks into the gutter at the top and then only two screws to hold the bottom portion. Really simple but strong. Mine has a rough finish on the rungs which is helpful for traction. I'm in Vermont. Where are you? Would be willing to let it go pretty reasonably.

Bill

I am out in texas, good to know about it being a strong setup, unfortunately all my van funds are tied up in the upcoming motor work, dang 6.0's

Cole

Expedition Leader
Not sure why you would ever want a ladder to touch the ground. Its almost always going to be uneven and a different angle than the van. Or simply slippery with mud, ice, etc.

Seems best to make a ladder Thad is stable on the van no matter what angle the van is at!

boardrider247

Not sure why you would ever want a ladder to touch the ground.
Because a vertical ladder like this
14981257290_efa1fb9384_o_d.jpg

Is miserable to use. If it tilted out 15 degrees it would much more pleasant.
I suppose a guy could have it tilt out then hang onto the bumper somehow.

86scotty

Cynic
I've got one too. It's pretty nice. I have a mounted ladder too but that one served me well before it, and it can second indoors to climb up to the top bed, if you have one in your van.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven