Pile of parts for my DIY trailer

pixeldzn

Observer
Decided to build rather than buy due to the fact that I would like a utility trailer that can go offroad rather than a full blown expedition trailer.

Due to cost concerns, I am going to go with a leaf sprung axle for the time being, but I am considering welding shock tabs to it.

60" ABC Trailers Axle
285/75-16 (33") Nitto Terra Grapplers
Cragar 16" Soft 8s
Swiveling tongue wheel
Lock n' Roll setup (not pictured)

Now I need to buy all the necessary steel and get welding.

trailer_axle.jpg

Willman

Welcome the ExPo!!!

Very nice!!!!:clapsmile

Are you going to install elec. brakes on your trailer?

Keep us posted on your build and would to see your design!!!

:chowtime:

pixeldzn

Observer
Here's my plans:

No plans for brakes at the moment, but the axle does have the bracketry for them should I choose to add them later.

TRAILER.jpg

RunninRubicon

Adventurer
I like you schematic. I purchased a CJ-7 4-leaf suspension w/shackles, shock mounts, front and rear frame mounts and U-bolts from 4WD.com for $440. They have a heavier 6-leaf pack as well. (same price). This all came in a kit and made for SOA or SUA arrangement easy to install. The springs are 60" long. One foot shorter then my trailer's length. I added Monroe air-shocks with a 10" travel, added rubber dampeners to stop any possible bottoming out action and got a soft supple movement. My original leafs were the stock 30" style and though rated for 2000lbs, they were very stiff and rough riding. Short of an Adventure Trailer's air-bag A-frame independant suspesion for three times the money, I think you'll like your outcome.
Your deminsions show a tongue 70 inches in length. I use 60" though yours may ultimately pull easier. I find that a 60" tracks close to my rear wheels through most tight trails and between trees. Also backs up very easily.
Best of luck as it looks very promising.

Willman

pixeldzn said:
Here's my plans:

No plans for brakes at the moment, but the axle does have the bracketry for them should I choose to add them later.

TRAILER.jpg

Nice!!!!

:Mechanic:

Rezarf <><

Explorer
I am in the process of doing the same thing.

I am excited to see your results and the progress on the way!

Drew

Renrag

Observer
pixeldzn said:
Here's my plans:

TRAILER.jpg

New here. Been lurking a bit lately. I built this trailer over the winter
http://jeepshots.com/users/mike/trailer/2007_0312_095702(1).JPG
I'm posting up now because I see you are building one to similar proportions. I ended up adding two jerry cans to the front just to get it to trail well. Even after the axle allignment it wouild weave back and forth for lack of tounge weight. I'd suggest figureing out how to build more tounge weight into it. Move the box forward or make it longer in the front.

mikE(unsolicited advice it worth what you pay for it)

pixeldzn

Observer
Renrag said:
I'm posting up now because I see you are building one to similar proportions. I ended up adding two jerry cans to the front just to get it to trail well. Even after the axle allignment it wouild weave back and forth for lack of tounge weight. I'd suggest figureing out how to build more tounge weight into it. Move the box forward or make it longer in the front.

Where'd you get the box you used for it? That's what I originally wanted but couldn't really find anything like that.

As for the tongue weight, I plan to put a box of some kind on the tongue over the expanded mesh, and when not full of gear I will put something like a bag of sand in it.

Renrag

Observer
pixeldzn said:
Where'd you get the box you used for it? That's what I originally wanted but couldn't really find anything like that.

As for the tongue weight, I plan to put a box of some kind on the tongue over the expanded mesh, and when not full of gear I will put something like a bag of sand in it.

Home built. I spent way too much time on it. All started from flat sheet. I built a die to bend the corners then went from there.

mikE(helps that I have a 6' brake)

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Few things I would look at and change:

Very high loads on the front crossmember with the current design. The rotational forces need to be moved to the main side rails. By tying into the main rails you will take that rotational load off the front crossmember.

Looks like over kill on the floor cross members. Even if you are using 1.5x1.5 angle iron for the floor support you could stand to loose 2 of those cross members. Unless you load the thing full of car batteries you will never have enough load to need that many cross members in the 46 inch length.

Attachments

• TRAILER.jpg
    TRAILER.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 157

Rezarf <><

Explorer
Agreed, but with proper gussetting, you would be fine to run the draw bars of the front corners... AT does it IIRC?

Can't wait to see this come along.

Drew

Rezarf <><

Explorer
Renrag said:

Very Cool Trailer mikE!

I would love to see some shots of that thing, how about starting a new thread?

Willman

pixeldzn said:
Here are some updated pics of the parts pile:

trailer_parts_3.jpg

Close-up of the lock and roll hitch setup:

trailer_parts_2.jpg

Looking good!...I also just ordered my Lock n' roll hitch as well!!!....

When is this nice pile going to get all welded up and installed??

:Mechanic:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3