Pile of parts for my DIY trailer

pixeldzn

Observer
Willman said:
Looking good!...I also just ordered my Lock n' roll hitch as well!!!....

When is this nice pile going to get all welded up and installed??

:Mechanic:

Hopefully getting started next week after work one night.

pixeldzn

Observer
Got a rolling chassis complete last night:

trailer_rolling.jpg

OS-Aussie

Adventurer
Grim Reaper said:
Few things I would look at and change:

Very high loads on the front crossmember with the current design. The rotational forces need to be moved to the main side rails. By tying into the main rails you will take that rotational load off the front crossmember.

Looks like over kill on the floor cross members. Even if you are using 1.5x1.5 angle iron for the floor support you could stand to loose 2 of those cross members. Unless you load the thing full of car batteries you will never have enough load to need that many cross members in the 46 inch length.

I think Grim-Reaper is on the money, I have visions of you and the trailer parting ways on some rough road after the draw bar shears off.

Rezarf <><

Explorer
Everything looks nice!

I think with a few gussets you will be just fine. What are the dimensions of your box?

Keep the pics coming.

pixeldzn

Observer
OS-Aussie said:
I think Grim-Reaper is on the money, I have visions of you and the trailer parting ways on some rough road after the draw bar shears off.

Agreed. There is going to be some gusseting done next time we get to welding on it. Going to triangulate the tongue to the draw bar and the draw bar to the side rails. that will get at least 8 more welds holding the beast together.

Willman

pixeldzn said:
Agreed. There is going to be some gusseting done next time we get to welding on it. Going to triangulate the tongue to the draw bar and the draw bar to the side rails. that will get at least 8 more welds holding the beast together.

Sounds like a good plan!

Keep the photos coming.

:)

pixeldzn

Observer
we've worked on the trailer a couple more times lately. It's hard to take good pictures becuase my buddy's garage isn't well lit.

We added some bracing to the tongue that goes underneath and to the next interior cross bar, cut the expanded metal for the tongue shelf and began welding up the frame for the box.

trailer_build.gif

pixeldzn

Observer
Again, there have been a few sessions in between pics.

Some finish welding, cutting and grinding has been done, and the frame for the box is almost complete. The tailgate comes next.

It's getting closer, for sure!

trailerwbox1.jpg

trailerwbox2.jpg

Joanne

Adventurer
Hey Pixel!

I'm really enjoying seeing the pictures of your trailer build. I like the home-built stuff because it's so personal. It's people's ideas coming to life. I do have one dumb question though. Why the big tires on the trailer? I've noticed them on most of the expedition trailers. Is it because they match the tow vehicle tire size so they could be used in an emergency? Is it "cool factor"? I'm just curious.

Keep posting the pictures! It's a lot of fun to see them. Maybe someday I'll be able to see it in 3D.

Joanne

pixeldzn said:
Decided to build rather than buy due to the fact that I would like a utility trailer that can go offroad rather than a full blown expedition trailer.

Due to cost concerns, I am going to go with a leaf sprung axle for the time being, but I am considering welding shock tabs to it.

60" ABC Trailers Axle
285/75-16 (33") Nitto Terra Grapplers
Cragar 16" Soft 8s
Swiveling tongue wheel
Lock n' Roll setup (not pictured)

Now I need to buy all the necessary steel and get welding.

trailer_axle.jpg

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
The larger tires give you more ground clearance. That’s really important if you have a solid axle across the trailer. Maybe a little less so if you have independent suspension. I like knowing my trailer has at least the same ground clearance as the truck pulling it. An added plus is if the wheels and tires are interchangeable with your tow rig.

RichmondBasin07118.jpg

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
BTW, I didn't want to take away from the primary subject of this thread. The trailer you are building from scratch is sweet! Nice design and I'm looking forward to watching this come together. Nice job!:bowdown:

pixeldzn

Observer
Joanne said:
I do have one dumb question though. Why the big tires on the trailer? I've noticed them on most of the expedition trailers. Is it because they match the tow vehicle tire size so they could be used in an emergency? Is it "cool factor"? I'm just curious.

You are exactly correct.

#1 it is to share spares with my Rubicon

#2 It is for ground clearance should I choose to tow it over a trail at some point.

#3 It looks cool

:costumed-smiley-007:

RunninRubicon

Adventurer
#4 The wide contact patch inables your trailer to traverse that which your tow vehicle just traversed. Those narrow tires you see on Coleman pop-ups make great discs or plows thru sandy river bottoms and most any soft terrain. More then any other reason and that of simple clearance under the axle to match that of your towing vehicle are the rational for use of these tires.

Section 8

Observer
Great plan and photos. I am planning something along those lines, but in order to order an axle, I need to estimate the weight. Of course to estimate the weight, you need to know how much steel... blah blah blah. Anyway, since I don't know what I am doing :rolleyes: but know what I want, would you mind sharing what your tube sizes/wall thickness were for your basic frame, and your intended empty weight / loaded weight?

Thanks alot.

:camping:

pixeldzn

Observer
I used 1/16 wall tubing all around - 2" square for the frame, 1" square for the box, 2x4 for the bumper.

My axle is a 3500 lb axle with 3500 lb springs. I ordered the axle before anything else, actually.

I have no idea what the weight is at this point. Springs are cheap enuf that I can get different ones down the road if it's too rigid or sags.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3