Pile of parts for my DIY trailer

Section 8

Observer
Thanks alot. That goes along way toward estimating things. I am going to try a Torflex axle, but you bring up a good point about springs, maybe that would be a better approach....

Thanks

:camping:

mixedgasdiver

I've been watching your build and am very interested. I'm just curious, any estimate on the cost of the trailer it's self not including camping type accessories?

Thanks,

Rob

pixeldzn

Observer
I'd say I'm at around $1200-$1400, including new tires and rims, lighting, all the steel, and misc trips to Home Depot and Ace Hardware.

I haven't been real diligent about tracking the receipts. (Not sure I wanna know exactly how much it cost!!), but I do know that the major items add up to around $1000.

BTW, it's nearly complete. All welding is done, needs some finish grinding and sanding. Also needs a skin and a floor for the box. The wiring is done, but just good enuf to tow it home from my buddy's house - needs to be fished inside the tubing and generally cleaned up. Also need to do things like make cables for the tailgate, paint, etc.

Will post new pics tomorrow.

Section 8

Observer
I'd be really interested to know how you did the tailgate hinges.

Right now I am thinking of using Weld-on Hinges (thats the actual trade name): [URL="http://www.guden.com/display-wh3.asp[/URL]

But I don't think I am strong enough with the force to get them aligned straight, and stay straight while I weld them so the tailgat opens smoothly. I see a tailgate that I can't open, but empties my trailer on the highway.
:oops:

Thanks.

:REOutCampFire03:

pixeldzn

Observer
I just used grade 8 bolts with nylon washers inbetween the box and the gate.

I'll make sure ther's a detailed pic of it when i post next.

pixeldzn

Observer
The trailer is nearly complete! It only needs it's cedar decking floor installed.

trailer_painted_1.jpg

trailer_painted_2.jpg

Jered007

Congratulations, I want one! :drool: Would probably cost less than adding the rear and roof racks that I've been eyeing. (gotta love the cargo room in jeeps)

pixeldzn

Observer
Some more pics, with the trailer in tow behind the Jeep ...

trailer_tow_front.jpg

trailer_tow_side.jpg

trailer_tow_rear.jpg

And a close up of the Lock-N-Roll Articulating Hitch setup ...

trailer_coupler.jpg

pixeldzn

Observer
Got the wood floor cut, routed, and drilled today. I used 1x6 cedar decking board. I had to route out a relief for the tailgate so it could swing without hitting the floor, and also route out the reliefs for the tiedowns in each corner. Now I have to pull the boards back out, sand them, and apply a few coats of spar varnish.

trailer_floor_wood.jpg

CodyLX450

Adventurer
No fenders?

Ive seen a lot of broken back windows from rocks thrown up from the trailer...and altho you don't have a glass back window, you might not like the rock dings and paint chips.

Any fender plans?

Looks pretty good!

pixeldzn

Observer
Yep, I plan on fenders and a lid before I tow it any distance. I have some prefab fenders, but they don't quite fir right with the 33's, so I am going to get some diamondplate bent to the right size instead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal