Pintle vs Lock&Roll vs Max Coupler

MountainD

Adventurer
About Lock-n-Rolls service--they sent me my hitch and coupler and when I got around to installing them, I noticed I screwed up the rise I needed. Know what they did? Exchanged it right away, sent me out the correct one that I should have ordered without question or charge and were great to me. I have 0 complaints with either the design or the owners.

I am naturally a nice guy so that goes a long way. I rarely get bad customer service from folks---I can't speak to anyone else's experience, but mine has been extremely positive.

JPShooter

Adventurer
I am naturally a nice guy so that goes a long way. I rarely get bad customer service from folks---

Some years ago when arriving at Ft. Knox on a new assignment, one of the guys in the unit was telling me how horrible the folks at Housing were. "Be ready" he said, "for nothing but a hard time and rude people".

I was amazed at how nice the folks at Housing were, and very helpful!

Turned out of course that the guy who "warned" me was just one of those people who couldn't seem to get treated very well where ever he went.

An old saying...... "You catch more bees with honey" is worth remembering. Sounds like MountainD knows all about that too :)

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Some years ago when arriving at Ft. Knox on a new assignment, one of the guys in the unit was telling me how horrible the folks at Housing were. "Be ready" he said, "for nothing but a hard time and rude people".

I was amazed at how nice the folks at Housing were, and very helpful!

Turned out of course that the guy who "warned" me was just one of those people who couldn't seem to get treated very well where ever he went.

An old saying...... "You catch more bees with honey" is worth remembering. Sounds like MountainD knows all about that too :)

I was amazed at how the folks that made the Max Coupler treated me very kindly, answered numerous questions and supplied tons of info in emails long before I bought their product. In contrast the Lock N Roll folks were grumpy and pretty much claimed that they never had a failure like mine (a proven lie) so the gross failure must have been my fault. The word warranty was not even in their vocabulary.

So I guess if someone has a bad experience with a company that someone is at fault for not giving the bees any honey even after giving those grumpy, stingy old bees lots of money.

Robert Bills

Explorer
I cannot speak for anyone else's experience with Lock N Roll, only my own.

I have owned Lock N Roll hitches since 2007. All of my questions were answered promptly and professionally when I purchased my first one; customer service was excellent two years later when I wanted to purchase spare parts; and the company was responsive and treated me fairly when I subsequently upgraded to the current design. I have no complaints about the company, its products, or how they have treated me.

I like the Max Coupler design, and might have gone that direction if they were readily available when I was first considering a multi-axis coupler. However, after observing through the years that it is easier for me to hitch my trailer on uneven ground than friends' trailers equipped with Max Couplers, I am glad that I have what I have.

6btEX

Observer
I have no experience with the max coupler, but I liked my Lock N Roll so much on my small trailer I have added it to my current build.
It is easy to couple it in just about any situation, its quiet, and there are many options for just about any tow vehicle or trailer.
I was almost going with the max coupler, but was impressed with all the options Lock N Roll offer. I have multiple tow rigs and trailers so it made sense to me.
I have had no issues with the product or the service.

TacoDell

Adventurer
'cuz i haven't posted here since 2011 :D

Max Coupler is built for the serious off roader ;)

The MC's up or down angle articulation can be increased slightly, dependant of Max C's mounting position, and if yer not skeered.
My 1st prod. 6000lb MC has proven it's strength/reliability to me and it's still going strong.
I'd imagine MC's 11,000lb coupler is likely more then I need-want, but looks more HD no doubt.

* increased approach/departure angle/inverted hitch mount...
the Max C can be mounted 180* upright or downward on the hitch's tongue
so there's a couple mounting options.

more 'cause I may not be around to contribute again in as many years ;)

what it does...

https://youtu.be/pibS4xWF19M

https://youtu.be/-PkPNmaq1r8

https://youtu.be/0YXqv08F04A

https://youtu.be/c6BjCnI511I

carry on

Last edited:
I've tried all the rest and now use the best. The ARK XO off-road coupler by Ark Corp. I got lucky and got their sample on the last day of the SEMA show last year. They will soon be shipping these to their Illinois warehouse where they sell their XO off-road trailer jack out of in the USA (I have the XO jack too on my trailer)

It is the most user friendly and if you look at the pictures and info in the links, you will soon realize why.

http://www.arkcorp.com.au/p/3417/xo-xtreme-off-road-coupling
0004098_xo_coupling_35t.jpeg

0004095_off_road_jockey_wheel_490.jpeg
0004225_off_road_jockey_wheel.jpeg

I'll dig up some pictures of my trailer with both of these products on them for you to see them installed on someones rig.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I've tried all the rest and now use the best. The ARK XO off-road coupler by Ark Corp. I got lucky and got their sample on the last day of the SEMA show last year. They will soon be shipping these to their Illinois warehouse where they sell their XO off-road trailer jack out of in the USA (I have the XO jack too on my trailer)

It is the most user friendly and if you look at the pictures and info in the links, you will soon realize why.

I'll dig up some pictures of my trailer with both of these products on them for you to see them installed on someones rig.

Timely product pimping for a tired thread, LOL. Please do post up more. I am wondering how this version of a ball hitch will fare.

Jim

JPShooter

Adventurer
The one thing I see as the XO's downside is the way it mounts to the trailer.

A two inch tube that can easily slide into a receiver and get pinned is a great advantage to both the LockNRoll and the Max Coupler designs, as I see it at least.

Swapping out the tow vehicle end from a ball to either a LockNRoll or Max Coupler unit is a very minor issue, and seems to be the main selling point of the XO unit.

Perhaps the design of the XO is something that is more in line with the way trailers are built in Australia, but here in the U.S. I think most trailers that this is marketed for will have a 2" receiver tube.

That's my take, for what it's worth.

Pimping.......LOL. Here are some of the pictures I said I'd post. This trailer was built in my driveway specifically for multiple day overland trips. Both the XO Coupler and the XO Jockey Wheel (trailer jack) were the perfect additions. Both have given me great service both on and off road. The coupler is just as easy to hook up as a normal 2 1/2 ball coupler but it articulates smoothly and like crazy too.

Here are a few pictures of the trailer on display at the 7th Overland Expo in 2015, the 2016 show had the RTT mounted on the top.

ARK Extreme Off-Road Coupler.jpg
Display9.jpg
Display18.jpg
Display19.jpg

You posted before you saw the pictures. The XO coupler is mounted to 2" hitch stock, just like the American competition. The beauty of the design is that it can be mounted several different ways including directly to the front of the hitch or using 2" stock like I did so it can be removed or made longer or shorter by sliding it in or out of the receiver that runs from front to back of the trailer. The coupler is mounted on a 3ft piece of stock so I can easily change the tongue weight by adjusting the length of the hitch. The XO coupler doesn't give up anything to the Max Coupler or the LNL. It's easier to use and articulates like crazy off-road.

MY HITCH IS BETTER THAN YOUR HITCH!

Neener Neener.....,

Well everyone has their own opinion of what they like and don't but it's kind of hard to pass judgment on a particular product unless you've actually had hands on experience with that product.

I've had the opportunity to use all three so I can make an objective comparison.

If you look at the history both the Max Coupler and the LNL have both had their share of issues, some have been fixed, others, maybe. In its long history of use in Australia, there haven't been any issues with the XO Coupler which speaks volumes. And the Aussies have some of the best off-road trailers in the world.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad