Please convince me to buy

WantedWolf

1st time poster here, and may I complement the FG owners on a great looking truck. But as they say looks arn't everything. I need her to tow!

I currently run an 01 ram (5.9 ISB TD, 11000#gvw). And pull a 30ft flatdeck gooseneck trailer (25900#gvw).

I love my toyotas and it would be great to dump the dodge for an import
im looking at an 08FG140 cab and chassis, basic options and the 4x4 was mandatory.

But with a 4cyl turbo diesel putting out 155 hp @ 2700 rpm and 347 lb.-ft. @ 1600 rpm, true it has a GVW of 14050# but Im concerned that the engine will slug on hills and with heavy loads.
my ram rated 245 HP @ 4,000 rpm; 335 ft lb @ 3,000 rpm

I would love to here of farmers or contractors uses for there rigs and the weights you all carry even in body job units. I will be hauling a tractors, hay, trucks, you name it.

Thanks in advance.I just found this site and really look forward to reading the archives.

WantedWolf

Oh and another question, from the mitfuso website it sounded like ODBII was just introduced on these trucks in 08, was there another diagnostics system on the previous models? or none at all?

I think if you have an ISB your hp/torque figures are wrong. Try ~600ft-lb@12-1600 rpm; peak hp (~250??)@ 25-2700. Even though the FG is geared at 4.88 for North American versions (5.57 rest of the world), it won't pull as much as a 600 ft-lb 6 cyl Cummins. Is your gearing 3.54 or 4.10? You can figure that given the same size tires (almost true) and same transmission ratios (not necessarily) that with 3/4 the axle ratio your effective torque (= rear wheel pulling power) is like ~450 ft-lb geared the same as the FG.
Remember that due to the relatively numerically high axle gearing the FG has a flat out speed of only 68 mph and perhaps a cruise speed of ~100kph.
In other words, if you like to drive 120 kph empty and really tow 25,000 lb and your truck is a bit challenged by that sort of weight, the FG won't cut it.
At lower speeds and offroad it would probably handle it fine.
I think the power figures you posted are for the 5.7L Hemi.

Charlie

Tree

Adventurer
Truck is fine in the power department. but does not compare to the powerstroke or duramax but for the non lead foot its fine.

Truck has common rail injection, has a really pleasent sound. Doesnt make you want to shut it off to talk like the domestics. It took me a long time to learn how to shift (really early) and is now a piece of cake. it has a switch that puts the exhaust brake on at idle to warm up. it works like a charm.

I have a 9' western with wings (10') and its perfect. The power transfer is awsome, the normal torque converter slipage is not there with the manual, plus low gearing and the torque of the diesel all work together to make the thing unstopable pushing banks of snow. I dont thinnk i have made the tires spin yet. It has more tractive effort than anything i can think of. after driving a cabovers for a long time - when i plow with a regular truck i feel like i am plowing from the rear seat of a bus. the fg comes stock with limited slip in the rear. The drum brakes front and rear work so so.

if you are considering buying one of these consider :

its not a fast truck- if you race around plowing get a pickup. slow and steady with a big plow its works great.

its a lot of work or money to get the dump box on (frame is weird)- fenders mudflaps lights- trailer brakes rear pull plate etc.

you will spill no less than 50 gallons of coffee

dealers are ignorant - they only sell a handful.

its in another league compared to pickups.

the a/c and heaters kinda suck. dealer service for me has been terrible. I now call out of state to have parts mailed to me.

I have an leftover 07 fg swb that I picked up for $33000. For this much truck I think this is a very good deal. The dealer wanted to get rid of it quickly so good for me. I purchased a used fe about 6 years ago and it has never had a problem and I doubt this fuso will have any either. The visibility and turning radius in both is phenomonal(sp). I use the fg for hauling. It has hauled my bobcat and tractor with their attachments like it was nothing. 15 mpg is about my average for both loaded and unloaded. I get lots of looks from other people and I can usually see on their faces they are thinking " what the hell is that!? ". I dont plow and I dont think I ever will but Im sure it is up to the task. Also watch out for the frame it is very flexy and if you dont hook things up right say good bye to the flatbed or whatever you hooked on. I love the exhaust brake that you can use to warm up the truck faster. 5 year 175k warranty. Ok cons now. Very bouncy. Transfer case is a little low but im not doing any rock crawling. Dealers usually dont know much about the truck. Not really a con since it gets good mileage but I would like another fuel tank.

Overall wonderful truck and I am very proud to drive this truck around because its different. Everyone and their mother drives a dodge ford or chevy. Not that their is anything wrong with those trucks I just enjoy my fusos much more. Oh and to the common beleif of parts hard to find, they are not. It took the dealer only 3 days to get a new driveshaft for my 99 fe.

These are from another site that was talking about fgs. We have one and I really enjoy driving it. The only problem I see with fgs is that dealers suck. They are incompetent with these trucks and are just stupid lazy asses. If you do buy one look up on your dealer and see how they treat their customers.

haven

Expedition Leader
Welcome to ExPo, WantedWolf!

Is there something about your Dodge that doesn't meet your requirements? It sounds like you have a great vehicle for an ExPo platform already.

The Fuso FG is attractive for several reasons. The cab-forward design allows more room for the camper than a traditional pickup does in the same overall length. The FG has a tight turning radius, which helps you maneuver. The four cylinder engine has adequate power for ExPo-style travel and is relatively fuel efficient. The flexible FG frame helps keep the wheels on the ground over rough terrain. Fusos sold in USA have a generous warranty. Fuso has a presence in lots of countries overseas, so there's a chance that you can find parts and mechanics familiar with the vehicle in distant lands.

The Fuso FG used to be relatively inexpensive for its capabilities. In the last couple of years the price has risen sharply. The manufacturer blames the strict new emissions control requirements. The relative weakness of the US dollar compared to other currencies probably plays a part in the price increase.

If Isuzu sold its 4x4 trucks here, we'd talk a lot about them, too. We'd love to get our hands on the cab-forward 4x4 vehicles sold in Europe. There are a couple of custom builders who can add a front drive axle to medium trucks. But for now, the Fuso FG is the only new medium duty cab forward 4x4 that's widely available in USA.

Chip Haven

Tree

Adventurer
Chip, I think he wants a fuso fg for work related stuff rather than a expo rig. He probably asked on this forum because this is the only place to get fg information.

WantedWolf

"The Dealers suck" + "Not for a lead foot" now I know Ill fit in around here.lol

Thanks very much for the replys, I need any knowledge I can get on the FG and its kinda tough to find. And I feel a long winded post coming.

Thanks Charlie I did copy+paste the wrong specs I have the 6spd man. and its not a high output so im somewhere in between:
Horsepower: 235 - 325 @ 2900 RPM (varies with model year)
Torque: 460 - 610 lb-ft @ 1600 RPM (varies with model year)

to be continued...

It all depends probably where you buy your Fuso FG 4x4.
My experiences with truck dealer Kearny Mesa in San Diego are excellent.

The Fuso FG is not a high speed truck.
It drives the most comfortable at 50 miles per hour.
Is good for MPG too.

Mine is loaded to its maximum and this means that going up the mountain means shifting gears down and becoming considerably slower than the general traffic.

It is true that heating and AC are not very effective.
I don't use heating but AC only.
When it is above 30º C, the AC is of not much help.
I had the dealer look at it but this is just how Fuso FG's are.

haven

Expedition Leader
A forum participant who uses the name "dontpanic42"
uses a Fuso FG on his ranch in Texas as well as a platform
for a custom camper. WantedWolf, you might send him a
message to ask how the truck performs ranch duties.

Chip Haven

kerry

Expedition Leader
I do use the heat. I thought my system might not have a fully opening coolant valve to the heater core. Perhaps not. Maybe it's just wimpy.
When I purchased my 99 FG in North Carolina I drove it back to Colorado with just a service body and some oil tanks. I had no problem driving 65mph and it kept speed well in the Appalachian Mtns unloaded.

HINO SG

Adventurer
There are some dealers in the east and northeast U.S. that are dedicated to the product; other than that, the level of indifference I've heard about is astounding.

Someone in my neighbor has one as a work truck, said that when it was delivered the dealer handed him the keys and wished him a nice day:rolleyes:.

Sounds like you might need somthing a little bigger, honestly.

there was these guys:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7748

but thier website is gone.

As a Canadian, you're allowed to import relatively new used trucks (15 yrs). Find a four wheel drive variant of a model sold here (UD/HINO/ISUZU) and bring it in!

Last edited:

WantedWolf

Sounds like you might need somthing a little bigger, honestly.

As a Canadian, you're allowed to import relatively new used trucks (15 yrs). Find a four wheel drive variant of a model sold here (UD/HINO/ISUZU) and bring it in!

Hinoranger didnt you read the title, your supposed to be convincing me;)
but seriously thank you for a voice of reason.
I am having a tough time determining exactly what Ill be carrying.
I have yet to carry 25000# with my dodge.

Im currently doing the math with all the manufactures provided # 's to compare what I can load on my trailer after weight ratings are considered.

I have put in over $6000 in parts in the last 6 months to maintain the running gear but the engine is approching 350000km and Im starting to see oil pressure problems. not to mention this truck cannot haul itself up a snowy hill never mind a trailer. (I have bridgestone m+s tires on for winter).
I will be leaving the big hills behind in the spring but my snow load will be doubling so this is a great concern. I dont need to rush up hills with a load but I do need to get up there eventually without to many horns and fingers.

Unfortunatly the farm wont pay the bills for at least another 5 years so I will end up using whatever new truck for "WORK". Logging is very big in our area as is land clearing for crops. I would most frequently haul my tractor or bobcat. Another market I might attack is auction transport but again how could I predict what I would carry? and then theres round bales... and a stock trailer. Snow plowing is a necesity for myself so I might consider making a little from helping others but there is considerable local competition.
What brand of plows do you all run?

I asked the dealer today if he has any local customers willing to talk to me regarding his service and their use of the FG truck. Im still awaiting a reply.

On the new units emisions control system what maintence is there and how much can be preformed by an owner (without diagnostics tools). I read there is a partical filter do I moniter and change or clean this?

i cant remember is there an offset front diff on the FG?

I am kinda surprised by the FRONT and rear drum brakes. Any real benifits to this? my big downside is ease of inspection.

Anyone have problems with the alternator being to light at 100amp? I do like alot of work and backup lighting, as well as winches on truck and trailer. is there a reasonable aftermarket part sector for upgrades to things like this?

Fuso provides a seemingly great warrenty program including a 4 year rust through warrenty, Are the fusos rust magnets like the toyotas?

I too would like a second fuel tank. Easy to do?

Anyone have a pto setup for anything on their FG's

Theres seems to be no rear sway bar, anyone notice a need for one?

I would be very interested in any additional cooling options available to help baby the truck.

Kinda sad to hear the majority owner is Daimler, They sure twisted chrysler.
How long have they had it? Did they mess the FG up by making "assemblys" out of otherwise easy to change parts? This is a sore subject as I paid $480 per side to replace working 4wd hub/actuators because dodge pressed the oil seals into the assembly meaning you cant replace a $20 seal.

The frame looks like swiss cheese there are so many available mounting holes!
I see most owners build up rather then out, It would make a great welding rig.
But I wonder why this fellow had such a hard time? (quote post in red)
"its a lot of work or money to get the dump box on (frame is weird)- fenders mudflaps lights- trailer brakes rear pull plate etc"

Hi HAVEN (Stay away from the ram for expo truck, ive seen it done but with no charactor or appeal like the "odd" head turning units)
If I was building a Utility or expo truck I think this FG would be sold, but I cant limit my towing options, However these trucks seem to hold there value very well and if I later found it was insufficent I doubt it would be hard to sell.

Ill note whats in my garage (or not worthy to be in it lol)
82 fj60, 82 bj42, 87 lj71, 87 4runner, 89 4runner, (in):smiley_drive:
95 f150, 97 f350, 01 ram 3500. (out)

Honestly I do not want anymore american crap, if I bought a new dodge/ford/chevy it would be as a need with no want involved and I fully plan to sell it before it hits 100k. I dont have time now to build my preference 91 ram 3500. Im already falling in love with the FG and not be able to part with it if i get one. I bet you all can tell in my voice that I kinda hope it happens like that.

Thanks again for all the replys and help. I am extremly new to Fusos so dont hesitate to post anything you think of. it wont seem to small or dumb to me:)

WantedWolfSheep

kerry

Expedition Leader
Doug Hackney put a rear sway bar on his FG I think. If you go to his site I think he has a picture of it. The RUF FG Expedition Camper had a hydraulic winch. Don't know if the hydraulics were run by the PTO. Some people have added second fuel tanks. Cooling system seems pretty robust to me although I believe Doug Hackney who is pulling quite a heavy load has written that steep grades can tax his cooling system.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
WantedWolf, Sounds to me , you've already talked yourself into one. That's a long list of questions. Just remember I haven't driven or worked on an FG140 yet, but everything points to them being far more capable in many respects than the older models we are used too.

I would most frequently haul my tractor or bobcat.

FG's and FE's for that matter, are very common here for towing heavy trailers with bobcats, excavators, backhoes, trenchers , etc, etc, etc. Is it going to haul like a Ram or big F-truck? No. But it will still do it easily and for a fraction of the cost due to excellent fuel consumption under load and hopefully lower lower overall repair costs.

Before I worked at Allterrainwarriors I was with a pipeline company operating robotic equipment. We had a fleet of about 70 FE's and about 30 FM's and and another 40 or so Tritons. We used FE's for towing and hauling diggers / mini excavators and big screw compressors. No problem. I'm sure there is a thread on Towing with FG's in this section about 3 or 4 months ago. Have a read of that.

Most of the outback tour operators here give their FG's absolute hell and sell them at around 300,000k's with virtually zero repairs. Although these things are usually very well maintained and regularly checked by mechanics who know them inside out and it sound like guys like that are a little thin on the ground over there.

Some of the companies that do Cape York have their share of repairs but I'll just say that a couple of trips up and down that road will seriously shorten a vehicles life and FG's seem to handle it better than anything else up there or they would use something different.

I read there is a partical filter do I moniter and change or clean this?

Ours don't have the DPD yet but the new Euro IV Isuzu does. My understanding is that it self cleans at regular intervals so every now and then the engine management will dump fuel and fire it up so that there will be a big puff of jet black smoke come out the pipe and it will skip a couple of beats and then return to normal. Or maybe the mechanic was just telling tales. Anyway he definitely reckons they aren't replaced. Imagine the cost of that.

I cant remember is there an offset front diff on the FG?

This should answer that.

3217931384_cfed0a23ba_o.jpg

I am kinda surprised by the FRONT and rear drum brakes. Any real benifits to this? my big downside is ease of inspection.

Maybe there was something about brakes in the FG mechanic interview thread. BTW Hopefully I will get the chance to do a different version of that thread when I head up to Far North Queensland in a couple of months time. I intend to do the same interview with one of the Cape York mechanics.

Anyone have problems with the alternator being to light at 100amp? I do like alot of work and backup lighting, as well as winches on truck and trailer. is there a reasonable aftermarket part sector for upgrades to things like this?

We have often had the original alternators rewound to give a much higher output which works out cheaper and easier than a replacement high output unit however this is usually only necessary for high continuous loads such as big aircon fans in a bus. The loads you are describing would possibly be easily catered for by fitting a dual battery system and running the work loads from a second battery.

Some of our better dual battery systems here will have an alternator isolation switch which can be activated when winching so that the alternator will never see the excessive loads that can result from using an electric winch.

Personally, I prefer the electric / hydraulic winches which tend to bypass fluid as they reach stall rather than expect super high current, but that argument is for another thread I’m sure.

BTW I’ve always considered that the standard battery capacity of the 12 volt FG’s (and the older 24V FG’s) was a massive overkill for the size of the engine. Although we’ve never actually done it or proven this, I think you could almost get away with splitting the original battery bank in half with a good dual battery management system. This would of course depend on your particular loads. Do the math. Also do you run HID work lighting? Way to go.

Are the fusos rust magnets like the toyotas?

Once again, the FG’s are the weapon of choice on Fraser Island. Read the FG fleet mechanic interview for more on corrosion issues. I doubt you’ll be driving your own truck through saltwater like this. Not on purpose anyway.

3127856482_da826ce325.jpg

I too would like a second fuel tank. Easy to do?

Yep. Very straight forward. You might have to move things around a little but I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Anyone have a pto setup for anything on their FG's

Have seen it done off the transfercase. Don’t believe there was an issue with it. In Japan they use these things for all types of really weird jobs.

Theres seems to be no rear sway bar, anyone notice a need for one?

I think Doug Hackney's rear sway bar went in front of the rear diff. Beautiful piece of work too, BTW. They are easy to fit out the rear though. But make sure you actually have a need for this. If you are heavy, have an extra high CoG and don’t need the offroad articulation then sure. Go ahead. I wouldn’t think a work truck would have a high enough CoG to warrant a sway bar though, unless you had a backhoe/excavator on the back instead of on the trailer.

I would be very interested in any additional cooling options available to help baby the truck.

The standard cooling systems are fine however there are certainly a couple of other mods that can be done to help reduce engine and overall engine bay temperatures. Sorry. That’s all I can say there but these trucks are used here in the outback in some really extreme ambient temperatures. We built a fleet of FG buses to shuttle railway maintenance workers out in the central desert regions all year round. 125o to 130oF was common mid summer temperature out there.

No wonder I prefer sailing for expedition travel where you can always jump in the ocean to cool down. Haha.

It would make a great welding rig

Have seen quite a few FG’s set up for mobile welding too. Actually there’s a couple set up for this in the small town where I live. Big diesel DC welder, compressor, oxy bottles, vices, big toolboxes, etc,etc.

I know you don’t get Isuzu NPS 300 4x4 or the FSS 550 & 750 4x4 in the US but have a look at Mickldo’s sig line and check out some of the work trucks that he builds for our utility companies. The older 300’s are very, very similar to the FG’s.

haven

Expedition Leader
"I will be hauling a tractors, hay, trucks, you name it."
"I have yet to carry 25000# with my dodge."
"I would most frequently haul my tractor or bobcat. "

WantedWolf, when you say "haul" or "carry" you really mean "tow," right?

The Fuso FG has a curb weight of about 6000 lbs and a GCWR of 17,000 lbs. So it is rated to tow a 5th wheel trailer that weighs up to about 11,000 lbs.

The Dodge 4500 and 5500 chassis cab models have a GCWR of 26,000 lbs. So they can tow a trailer that weighs 18,000 lbs.

In other words, if you really will have a truck and trailer combination that weighs more than 17,000 lbs, you should stick with the Dodge, or similar versions of the Chevrolet C5500 or Ford F550. All are available with 4x4 and GCWR near 25,000 lbs.

Chip Haven

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk