Poll- Do you actually sleep inside?

Sleeping inside- Do you/

• Yes

Votes: 134 82.2%
  • No

Votes: 29 17.8%

• Total voters

tymbom

I sleep in the bed of my M1008. I have modified the bows so when I arrive at the campsite I just set them up and pull a tarp over. Unless it's windy, its nice a snug. The wind makes the tarp flap around, but I plan to buy a piece of canvas one day

thebigblue

Adventurer
G-wagen

Yes, have been sleeping inside my 2005 G since the first day:

_CF_0039.jpg

final-open-1.png

more: http://gwagendays.com/vehicle/

wADVr

Adventurer
Maybe this isn't a big deal but those that have sleeping platforms that don't allow you to sit upright seem like they would not be ideal. I sleep in my JKU on the floor with a pad and it is comfortable and convenient. Only for light trips though over a weekend and I don't carry any gear that isn't easily moved. Storage under the platform would be great but I just don't think not being able to sit up would work for me.

wADVr

Adventurer
In my Dodge Ram I slept in the back and while solo was a very nice simple set up. I simply used a fold up cot on the far left over the wheel well and then had my gear set up on the right side and had an isle in the middle. Was great for camping in inclimate weather. I used the truck for everything so building a platform and drawers was not going to work. I hauled everything from engines to appliances to miter saws etc. every day of the week. That all said I'm sure there is a simple solution for sleeping as a couple and do the same thing.

jeffe

Observer
Just traded in my 2 door JK for a JKU Willys and love the fact that I have the ability to sleep in it. I recently purchased a small inflatable mattress and can fit comfortably with the seats folded down (I'm 6'2). Planning on doing a trip to Canada in the near future and staying in my jeep for most of the trip.
cb08709db6e2debd157772d7dc2ef34e.jpg
3d3ce61e7e9a3b97e0fbc4478b879af7.jpg
ecd166cd3df5229f69b4a1051be81cf4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clutch

<---Pass
Which vehicle would you not mind to be trapped in with the wife, the baby, and the dog during horrible weather for a couple days on end?

Single person or a couple that really really likes one another...might be able to do the truck topper or SUV...toss in two other bodies, betcha you'll want to kill each other before long.

If I am by myself, sure no problem I sleep in the truck bed with a topper...even then, with gear, it is tight. Years ago we were on one of my annual trips to Colorado for a couple weeks...and it rained and rained and rained...we were going kinda kooky...can't even stand up inside and stretch...all of our clothes were soaked before too long, no where to hang them to dry either. I started looking for a Wildernest immediately after that trip.

My vote would be a van with a high rise topper, or a pickup with a Flippac or Shell FWC...or similar. 4WD pickup would be the easiest route...no conversion needed, plus can use it for truck things as you mentioned, when not in camp mode.

You, the misses, and kid sleep up top, dog on the bed of the truck...lots of room to move about when opened...compact when closed.

Last edited:

dstn2bdoa

Adventurer
When there was 3 of us, we slept in the back of our Chevy 2500.

We had a cap with a low sleeping platform that I built that let us slide plastic storage containers underneath. Exped Mega Mats are really comfortable. Putting a fridge in the back seat of a crew cab to keep the bed open would be great.

We got a lot of good ideas from these threads:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...e-some-quot-set-up-quot-Regular-Camper-shells

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ur-Truck-Shell-Top-Modifications-and-Add-Ons-!

thebigblue

Adventurer
Maybe this isn't a big deal but those that have sleeping platforms that don't allow you to sit upright seem like they would not be ideal. I sleep in my JKU on the floor with a pad and it is comfortable and convenient. Only for light trips though over a weekend and I don't carry any gear that isn't easily moved. Storage under the platform would be great but I just don't think not being able to sit up would work for me.

Well a G has height enough so I can sit in the lower side, the box is 25 cm. - just about the same height as the rear-seats I have removed. I have been on extended trips, this setup just works, and is the reason to have two different platform-levels. My madras is 180 by 60 cm. - length when lying down is more than 190 cm.

_CF_0001.jpg

_CF_0034.jpg

Last edited:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
1970 Suburban, low sleep platform that just clears wheel wells and gives us plenty of room to sit up.
Then again it is just wife and I inside, kid uses a hammock.
We also have a side awning with walls that makes a changing room and rain escape/shade, that really helps.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Nope. I ground tent. Mountain Hardware usually.

If I need AC and a shower, then I use a travel trailer. Cramped utility bodies and slide in's, don't work for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven