• Yes

Votes: 134 82.2%
  • No

Votes: 29 17.8%

• Total voters

mkitchen

Explorer
I love sleeping in the Truck

Something about hearing the rain while in the back of the truck just makes for a great day/night. I have done the same in a tent and have not enjoyed it. We can sit up and read, play a board game or just watch it rain. We have done two week trips and have totally enjoyed the time out. The only problem with camping out of the truck is I always come up with something that I want to build in or add to what I have. If I keep this up, it is going to become the Winchester Mystery Truck.
Mikey

Octotat

Observer
I sleep inside my 95 Grand Cherokee. Push the front seats forward (rears are removed) and it's enough room for my 6'1 length. For comfort I got a 4" thick queen size mattress topper (2" memory foam, 2" soft) that I cut to fit the space exactly. Sleep like a baby. I don't use a platform, it's added weight, uses space and reduces headroom. I just put everything that can get wet outside or under the truck, and anything that must stay dry goes into the front seats for the night.

When it's time to move, I roll it up with sheets and blankets still on and bungee it into a roll. Then I load everything back in behind it. This process has been working like a dream for me. Takes about 10 minutes to go from fully loaded to ready to snooze.

I use it a lot for overnight off-road trips, so a van wouldn't fit the bill for my use. The trails here are pretty tight and lots of overhanging brances for a 4wd van.

I unload it after the trip and it's back to a daily driver!

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Years ago we were on one of my annual trips to Colorado for a couple weeks...and it rained and rained and rained...we were going kinda kooky...can't even stand up inside and stretch...all of our clothes were soaked before too long, no where to hang them to dry either. I started looking for a Wildernest immediately after that trip.

That's pretty much why I ended up with a FWC. Flying solo + dog was easy in a TJ. Add another [human] body to the mix, & things got a bit more complicated.

We also have a side awning with walls that makes a changing room and rain escape/shade, that really helps.

I did that for a while too. Major help - but still ended up with a camper.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Yes!
2014_0301_150724AA_zps2f7ce8ac.jpg

2014_0301_152816AA_zps4df9ca04.jpg

And also, NO!
livia and 4runner_zpspzrgsfnl.jpg

Wife and I tried sleeping in my '04 Tacoma with a shell, but she hated it and we were both uncomfortable.
Now I do sleep in my vehicle if I'm on a solo trip. If it's the wife and I we take the T@B, pictured above. Much more comfy for both of us.

fourstringfletch

Adventurer
This photo illustrates just how much water vapor your lungs produce overnight. If you're sleeping inside the passenger compartment, pack a window chamois. When the sun hits your windshield later that day, you'll regret not wiping the windows when you woke up.

I've slept under a topper a lot and really enjoyed it. Friends woke me up one night at 4am to say they were headed to lower ground because they couldn't sleep in their ez awn rtt. I had no idea a blizzard had moved in, and then slept peacefully for a few more hours. This experience, and the wildernest that I watched get shredded on a windy day in lockhart basin taught me that too much fabric is not wise. My favorite nights are spent sleeping on the roof of the topper, with the option to retreat inside only when necessary.

Only have done it once but next summer I plan on it all the time, the 6' box is just long enough for me

Clutch

<---Pass
That's pretty much why I ended up with a FWC. Flying solo + dog was easy in a TJ. Add another [human] body to the mix, & things got a bit more complicated.

Still debating on a FWC, I really like my Tacoma's... but can't make the payload numbers work on my calculator. I never read about any catastrophic failures, so it must be ok??? Though I really don't wan to deal with a bunch of systems in a full fledged camper, recently went through my stuff and reduced it down...no more chuck box, I only really want to boil water and that is it, single burner back pack stove will do.

Being able to stand up is key for my wants/needs.

Last edited:

NODNARB

Observer
64ee9258b5d6707236bab6566e621250.jpg

Here's my solution to a small 4x4 but wanting to sleep two adults. :)
Sets up in just a couple minutes, much more comfortable than a tent, and letting it idle for 20 minutes before going to bed with the heater cranked is pretty nice too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven