Portland 1222AF Adventures

4x4for9

Hey Ryan how’s the build going? Do you still have both trucks? Any idea how soon you may be selling the other one and for how much? Feel free to pm me if you would like.
Thanks
Nate

rbgerrish

Nee-nuu Nee-nuu!
I'll post a little update on my trucks later tonight or tomorrow, but I'm waiting on the DMV to get me back my titles so I can sell the white one.

rbgerrish

Nee-nuu Nee-nuu!
Hey Ryan how’s the build going? Do you still have both trucks? Any idea how soon you may be selling the other one and for how much? Feel free to pm me if you would like.
Thanks
Nate

Hi Nate! Its been about 5 or 6 weeks into an 11 or 12 week DMV wait. Hard to say, could be any time! Also, it may turn out that I paid the wrong amount by mistake (you have to calculate all the fees yourself), and then I'll have to wait another 11 weeks. It's a covid mess.

Last edited:

4x4for9

Hi Nate! Its been about 5 or 6 weeks into an 11 or 12 week DMV wait. Hard to say, could be any time! Also, it may turn out that I paid the wrong amount by mistake (you have to calculate all the fees yourself), and then I'll have to wait another 11 weeks. It's a covid mess.
Hey Ryan thanks for getting back to me. Keep me posted on the truck, I am interested but like you said, COVID is messing all sorts of things up so who knows.
How hard was the importing process? Was it worth the headache? It almost sounds fun to me to bring one over but maybe I need to get my idea of fun straightened out. Haha.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
It almost sounds fun to me to bring one over but maybe I need to get my idea of fun straightened out. Haha.
Importing and fun have never been used in the same sentence.

Did you fly over to Europe and inspect it yourself, or rely on the photos the seller provided (certainly highlighting the good, 'missing the bad')?
Or if you flew over (post lockdown), to visit a few vehicles, is your German/French/Dutch good enough to do the deal (yes, most speak English, but do you want to negotiate at a disadvantage)?
How did it get transported from Feuerwehrautoburg to the port?
Did the paperwork get done correctly, or will you get hit with a VAT (19-25%)
Did the port decide to load it using a forklift, crushing your driveshafts, the fuel tank, and 2 of the air tanks?
Did it sit on the deck and get salt spray the length of the ocean transit?
Is the arrived port backlogged x-months because of a pandemic/Godzilla attack/labor strike?
Did it arrive with mud on the bumper and have to be shipped back to Europe? Saga here
Are you drive that unknown vehicle that was on a ship for weeks straight home, or 'shipping' a 24 foot/7 ton 'package'?
Certainly do-able. And many have done it. Just pointing out that nowhere is fun in that scenario.

When I bought my 1017AF I 'added' to the value (in my mind) $8000 that it had been shipping and was local to me, and another $5000 (in my mind) is that I could personally inspect it, drive it, talk with the owner, etc. As always YMMV

rbgerrish

Nee-nuu Nee-nuu!

Did you fly over to Europe and inspect it yourself, or rely on the photos the seller provided (certainly highlighting the good, 'missing the bad')?
Or if you flew over (post lockdown), to visit a few vehicles, is your German/French/Dutch good enough to do the deal (yes, most speak English, but do you want to negotiate at a disadvantage)?
How did it get transported from Feuerwehrautoburg to the port?
Did the paperwork get done correctly, or will you get hit with a VAT (19-25%)
Did the port decide to load it using a forklift, crushing your driveshafts, the fuel tank, and 2 of the air tanks?
Did it sit on the deck and get salt spray the length of the ocean transit?
Is the arrived port backlogged x-months because of a pandemic/Godzilla attack/labor strike?
Did it arrive with mud on the bumper and have to be shipped back to Europe? Saga here
Are you drive that unknown vehicle that was on a ship for weeks straight home, or 'shipping' a 24 foot/7 ton 'package'?
Certainly do-able. And many have done it. Just pointing out that nowhere is fun in that scenario.

When I bought my 1017AF I 'added' to the value (in my mind) $8000 that it had been shipping and was local to me, and another $5000 (in my mind) is that I could personally inspect it, drive it, talk with the owner, etc. As always YMMV

Exactly, these kind of things are very possible. Don't forget "having things stolen off the vehicles" or "the German dealer removing the batteries from your truck and then charging you for new ones," or "the truck's drive pulley falling off on the way to the port and needing to source the parts for repair."

My experience was only doable because I used a knowledgeable Export broker in Belgium, and one here in the US. I would not attempt the process without that kind of help. There are A LOT of fees and paperwork and things that can go sideways...

It was worth it for me as I was on a tighter budget and wanted to save a bit of money, and I was not in a hurry. The first ship they departed on actually broke down, and they had to be unloaded and loaded on to a different ship in Spain to continue!

Last edited:

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat

This is THE JUICE. Smartest thing I've read on the forum in a while. Same calculations in my mind should be considered on camper and truck construction. When I value my TIME correctly, the exorbitant prices I see aren't so exorbitant. I've seen rigs occupy hundreds (thousands?) of hours of hard work. Multiply that by your internal demanded income and 50k 100k retail for a rig isn't so crazy.

Reactions: mog

rbgerrish

Nee-nuu Nee-nuu!
In other news, I'll be taking my 1222 to the Sherwood Cars and Coffee event this Saturday, July 3rd! 7am to 10am at Langer's in Sherwood, OR.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach