Portrait Shots (show us your best)

More photos... now that I'm sort of making a hobby business out of it.
615674_112762122211166_959366561_o.jpg

133586_112761525544559_1921765405_o.jpg

242096_112761255544586_764547304_o.jpg

472216_112761625544549_274516477_o.jpg

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I love the big pics. Not wild about the kid with the helmet in the storm drain. In a PC world, I hate the idea of kids running around wearing helmets just because. And then on the flip side, playing in stormwater pipes is a pretty bad idea. Photographically, the image is great! It's just the editorial side of it I don't care for. Otherwise, I think those photos are terrific, lots of emotion and character in them. Fun stuff!

I love the big pics. Not wild about the kid with the helmet in the storm drain. In a PC world, I hate the idea of kids running around wearing helmets just because. And then on the flip side, playing in stormwater pipes is a pretty bad idea. Photographically, the image is great! It's just the editorial side of it I don't care for. Otherwise, I think those photos are terrific, lots of emotion and character in them. Fun stuff!

Haha, yeah, well the pipe goes under a bike trail in the middle of a field (shallow ditch) draining what might build up in a very shallow area (think of a bridge over no water sort of thing.) Anyways, not to trying to be too defensive, I agree under 99.8% of circumstances that's a no-go. Bike helmet is because, well, they rode their bikes to the park to get their pics taken! I really try to capture, whomever I'm photographing, for who they are. I haven't gotten to the point where I want to do studio work (nothing wrong with that) or really do the super posed shots. I give general direction, but I try to catch them doing stuff naturally, as it should be. It's worked out well. For example:
_DSC3366.jpg

_DSC3288.jpg

And airing down the tires...
_DSC3250.jpg

My point being, I was basically shooting photos of the kids doing what their parents would let them do naturally at this park. was successful and no one was hurt except for falling in a patch of stickers.

Clark White

Explorer
First time doing a portrait shoot and using a defuser. My best friend just got engaged and asked if I would do their engagement photo's, so even though it was way outside my experience range, how could I say no to my best friend or such a pretty girl...no less when they are one in the same?

ISO500, 85mm, f2.5, 1/400sec

ISO500, 85mm, f2.8, 1/800sec

ISO500, 85mm, f1.2, 1/4000sec

ISO400, 85mm, f2.0, 1/60sec. Needs more DOF as his face is out of focus but hers is perfect

ISO400, 85mm, f1.2, 1/160sec. Again, DOF with his face slightly out, and wish I had a solid backdrop

ISO400, 85mm, f2.0, 1/60sec

Opinions? I wouldn't have chosen that color background given a choice, but since I don't have a studio yet beggars can't be choosers. Any advice on how to improve next time, and especially on changes in editing for these would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Clark

Thanks!
Clark

nwoods

Expedition Leader
So here are comments from someone who has NOT shot anything like this on purpose. Take it for what's its worth:
Image 1 is not very flattering for her IMHO. Image 2 and 3 are terrific, Image 5 is well composed, Image4 and 6 need some creative cropping to work for me, and yeah, desperately need a new background. Mork from Ork's egg habitat in the left of Image 2 is rather distracting also

Kacey

Observer
First time doing a portrait shoot and using a defuser. My best friend just got engaged and asked if I would do their engagement photo's, so even though it was way outside my experience range, how could I say no to my best friend or such a pretty girl...no less when they are one in the same?

Opinions? I wouldn't have chosen that color background given a choice, but since I don't have a studio yet beggars can't be choosers. Any advice on how to improve next time, and especially on changes in editing for these would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Clark

Thanks!
Clark

Your using my favorite lens. Kinda surprised you have one since this is your first portrait session.
Looks like their eyes are little soft in many of the images. Easy to do shooting @ 1.2 - 2. You can split a hair with that lens at 1.2. It's a challenge to shoot that shallow with two people. The more you use this lens the more you will like it!
Here are a few I shot the other day with my 5D mark II and 85 1.2

F 2.8, 1/125th sec, ISO 100
i-fK9McwF-XL.jpg

F 2.8, 1/125th sec, ISO 100
i-6qxpj4x-XL.jpg

F 3.2, 1/160th sec, ISO 100
i-xjCjhbh-XL.jpg

F 4, 1/200th sec, ISO 100
i-dtPrxVs-XL.jpg

This one was shot with the 24-70 2.8L
F 2.8, 1/200th sec, ISO 100
i-QDKhjWD-XL.jpg

Last edited:

Kacey

Observer
Thanks you guys.
Aaron, I mostly upload to private galleries for the people/portraits I shoot.
Clicked on yours.... You have some awesome shots!

Clark, your link leads to some very nice shots as well. I'm new here
When I get more time I will really spend some time looking at past threads.

Thanks for the comments on my pics.

phxtoad

Adventurer
IMG_6218a.jpg

Riley in front of Bob Odegaard's P-51 "Stang" this last weekend. Maybe some day she'll pilot it. She likes horses...

RIP Bob!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk