Possible inexpensive winch line extension

njsjeep

Observer
I am looking forward to seeing what happens. I just looked closely at the cable off of my warn winch and it looks like a simple splice, the end of the cable is clearly visible sticking out of the swage. As far as not having a thimble in the eye of the security cable I figured the large diameter of the shackle body or pin would prevent the eye from being kinked.

Master-Pull

Supporting Sponsor
We have it at the shop, looking at the cable initially I would not recommend it for pulling anything over a few hundred pounds. Since we were out of the shop for a week we were playing catch up all last week and will try to look at it this week.

-Alex

Master-Pull

Supporting Sponsor
The guy who wanted to test it no longer works here so I am not sure how he was planning on break testing the cable. I spent about half a hour messing around with it today and I can tell you that it will definitely not hold the weight of a vehicle.

If you need a more inexpensive winch extension then synthetic rope then have a high strength steel cable made with quality ends, or use high quality chain.

-Alex

FlatBlak

Observer
If the guage is proper you could cut the ends off, run a "Molly Hogan" or "Flemish Eye Piece" like above and then clamp it off. Should hold quite a load for the money. I would hook it up and see what it can take before taking it out into the wild and risking injury.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven