Post Pic's of your Jeep

Lucky j

Explorer
Ok, these are great shots and nice country!

But 1000 miles in a weekend on that kind of road? Are you driving 24 h /day?? Just did 400 in 3 days at about 40 m/hr 8 hours a day on much faster looking road than this.

But again, need to plan a trip in your neck of the continent!

1000 miles like this last weekend:

7617b36daa81f77e178dacc553579217.jpg

.mobile

Geek

Observer
Total was over 1000 miles. We left Thursday morning and got back Sunday night.
80%+ of the trip was dirt - perhaps 65% of the time we were on 2-track (the majority of each day).
A couple of hours on 2 lane blacktop at the start and end of the trip... total time on interstate was 6 miles :D

I had more 2 track planned but we ran short on time :(

Great group of guys - our objective was to explore and cover ground and that is what we did - we ran for 12+ hours each day.

Everyone had a minimum of 10 gallons of aux fuel and we did have to refuel ourselves in the middle of nowhere.

OldGorePass-1895x1053.jpg

nowhere3-1895x1066.jpg

Climbing-1895x1002.jpg

Some obstacles took more time than others (something like this being over 100 miles from the nearest town made it more interesting if you got stuck! :) ) :
stock2-X3.jpg

stock1-1895x1066.jpg

stock3-1895x1062.jpg

Refueling ourselves on the top of lookout mountain in Moffat County (see the yellow hoses siphoning from our aux tanks):
Refueling2.jpg

Last edited:

Geek

Observer
Pictures are great! Love the simplicity of your setup. You have me thinking about a soft top. Do you have any photographs of your camp setup? Thanks for sharing.

Camp is pretty simple - a chair, a tent, and a sleeping cot. I tried an "instant tent" this trip and it was awesome. I had my tent setup faster than you can tie your boots up :D I traveled for 30 years on motorcycles so the 2 door jeep seems huge and I find myself bringing things I don't need like 2 full sized bed pillows :D

I use a tailgate table as a kitchen:
IMG_6173-XL.jpg

I have a drawer enclosure in the jeep that really helps in space usage.. then I just pile crap on top of it:
IMG_6141-XL.jpg

Rotopax water jugs just happen to fit perfectly beside the enclosure (you can see the corner of one (bottom left) in this pic):
IMG_6139-X2.jpg

When I travel with my wife I use a queen sized air mattress instead of the cot - 4 season tent on this trip (we have a bunch of tents) and an REI folding table if she wants more cooking space:
AirportB-1895x1066.jpg

...but even with the two of us there is plenty of room:
TheGreenRiver-1895x1066.jpg

My jeep setup is pretty bare bones / simple and I like it that way.
When I want "more comfort" I happen to also have this thing: :D
Fruita18-1.jpg

So it really depends on what the purpose of the trip is.

I hope this helps :)
cheers,
Ed

Last edited:

Geek

Observer
You have me thinking about a soft top.

I absolutely love the soft top (I run my hard top in winter but remove the freedom panels as often as I can :D ). The entire reason I bought a jeep was to be able to remove the top and get sunburned, smell the cow ****, freeze my *** off, etc :D My next purchase will be soft doors so that I can take them off on a long multi-day run and store them in the jeep with me.

At the end of the day I feel like I was outside and actually experienced the place I traveled through as opposed to watching it go by in a window.

The one penalty of running multiple days with the top off?
IMG_6347-XL.jpg

... there is some work to do when you get home :D
IMG_6343-XL.jpg

Mile High Guy

Outstanding trip photo's Geek!!!, and nice choice with the Tank Hard Rock Rubi... Looks like you are in good company...

Refueling2.jpg

Just curious are your Maxxtrax strapped directly to the AEV tire carrier, or just strapped on with the trasharoo? That extra fuel, and tire carrier setup is high on my list, but gotta complete the breakin first :) The stock tires were amazingly grippy at Moab, I'll have to wear the factory set out before I change anything there... Keep the pics coming, they are great!

Last edited:

Geek

Observer
On a whim I tried using some rox straps and it turned out to work well!

455213496acaed4386a03825c2f4a6d2.jpg

dd4fb943b628a77cc70eac01e0d966a5.jpg

They're mounted to the spare and then the trasharoo just drapes over the entire thing

39ccb825010c3a93c7f253b24b9cdd15.jpg

.mobile

JCDriller

Adventurer
I absolutely love the soft top (I run my hard top in winter but remove the freedom panels as often as I can :D ). The entire reason I bought a jeep was to be able to remove the top and get sunburned, smell the cow ****, freeze my *** off, etc :D My next purchase will be soft doors so that I can take them off on a long multi-day run and store them in the jeep with me.

At the end of the day I feel like I was outside and actually experienced the place I traveled through as opposed to watching it go by in a window.

The one penalty of running multiple days with the top off?
IMG_6347-XL.jpg

... there is some work to do when you get home :D
IMG_6343-XL.jpg

haha I love the GUM stimulator. Don't forget about your dental hygiene even while off-road.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Mr I am just sick with envy. The wife and I want to move relatively soon and I'm all about this. She on the other hand being a born and bred concrete jungle city girl wants to move someplace like Tampa, and go camping on the weekends. In Florida?

I might end up missing that girl....

Camp is pretty simple - a chair, a tent, and a sleeping cot. I tried an "instant tent" this trip and it was awesome.
...but even with the two of us there is plenty of room:
TheGreenRiver-1895x1066.jpg

My jeep setup is pretty bare bones / simple and I like it that way.

So it really depends on what the purpose of the trip is.

I hope this helps :)
cheers,
Ed

Last edited:

Lucky j

Explorer
That is a lot of driving.

I got to say, that I got my first jeep and now my TJL just because I wanted to bring s dog and a gf on adventure motorcycle trip. So yep, also got a jeep.

And my jeep looks like yours after a many days out there. Already have the soft door and do not care much about windows. So in with dirt and dust! :) :)

Presto88

Adventurer
That's my kind of trip. I've toured by motorcycle quite a bit and have trouble traveling with other people because I always want to keep moving. It's just not in me to ride for 5 or 6 hours and call it a day!

I am seriously jealous of that setup and that trip!

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020

Thanks Geek,

Love the simplicity of your Jeep, setup, and your attention to detail. Oh and now I remember your sprinter build thread. I am sure you have seen them, but I have had fantastic luck with the MSR Dromedary water bags for easy of storage and use. Thanks again for sharing.

Shapeshifter

Restless Adventurer
Just got back from a week in Moab. Saw a double rainbow while towing the Jeep there from Vacaville so our luck on the trail was good!

Trails explored:
Cliff Hanger
Fins & Things
Hell's Revenge
Baby Lion's Back
Car Wash Hot Tub
Poison Spider/Golden Spike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater