Post up pictures of your in-vehicle digs...

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
Hey Kevin, great truck I would be proud to drive that any day.

Just curious where you got your dual purpose cb/fm antenna, what the range is and if you are happy with it?

I also love the coleman camping stove in the drawer! We may have to steal that design!

Back to your regularly scheduled thread!

KMR

Adventurer
Thanks MissR2,
Post #8 in the linked thread shows a photo of the mount. It is in the OE location, I made a custom bracket basically the same as the OE mount, but heavier duty, The little grommet is the OE trim and the treaded rod just pokes up though it.
The reception is actually excellent, I end up running in front or in back when in groups due to the range, and the single antenna in the stock location does not draw any extra attention to the truck.

I saw in your sig link that you have a Bandi mount installed, that is an excellent product and I am sure it will give you good reception, just in case you were thinking about changing it.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
I does give us good reception, although we prefer to use HAM when we can. The FM antenna is pretty much worthless since most of our time is spend on sat radio. Just looking at options for cutting down on the number of things we have sticking off the truck :elkgrin:

targa88

Explorer
Rear view loaded up. On drawer for cooking gear, one for recovery/repair
IMGP0866.jpg

CobbBBQdrawer.jpg

Tooldrawer.jpg

Fullviewofstorage.jpg

Head rest extension for the platform
Headrestextension.jpg

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
Hey Wonk where did you get your tubs? I picked one up today at Lowes for our rear storage but it wasn't quite as large as I was looking for.

Wonkinator

Mornin' Miss R2FJ,

I'm kicking myself for that one. I found them at our local grocery store (Fred Meyer) and figured...."Oh, I'll just get two to see how they work". Guess what? They discontinued them, and I can't find them anywhere. The were call something like "SUV Storage Trays". They work perfect for what I have, but I would like to have a few more so that I could preload them and just swap them in and out depending upon what I am doing.

If I ever find them again, I'll definitely let you know.

Cheers,

Frank

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
Wonkinator said:
Mornin' Miss R2FJ,

I'm kicking myself for that one. I found them at our local grocery store (Fred Meyer) and figured...."Oh, I'll just get two to see how they work". Guess what? They discontinued them, and I can't find them anywhere. The were call something like "SUV Storage Trays". They work perfect for what I have, but I would like to have a few more so that I could preload them and just swap them in and out depending upon what I am doing.

If I ever find them again, I'll definitely let you know.

Cheers,

Frank

Bah! Thats how it always goes, isn't it? Thanks for the info Frank, I'll keep my eye out.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
Well I just finished up my rear storage project. I have never built anything like this in my entire life, no woodshop in high school nothing! Luckily I have used powertools in a limited capacity before so I wasn't totally freaked out.

Anyway, my project consisted of having to build a shelf in the back that would work around our fridge and already mounted powertank/fire extinguisher, and be reversible in case we had to ever carry anything big. I really wanted to take the back seats out since they have only ever been used 3 times since we have had the FJ, but MR. R2 wouldn't go for it. We can't sleep in the back anyway because of the fridge so here is my simple solution. I coated the shelf with Duplicolor roll on rino lining, all in all the project cost about $45 including storage bin.

normal_img_1587.jpg

normal_img_1586.jpg

jbs

Observer
Miss R2FJ said:
Well I just finished up my rear storage project. I have never built anything like this in my entire life, no woodshop in high school nothing! Luckily I have used powertools in a limited capacity before so I wasn't totally freaked out.

Anyway, my project consisted of having to build a shelf in the back that would work around our fridge and already mounted powertank/fire extinguisher, and be reversible in case we had to ever carry anything big. I really wanted to take the back seats out since they have only ever been used 3 times since we have had the FJ, but MR. R2 wouldn't go for it. We can't sleep in the back anyway because of the fridge so here is my simple solution. I coated the shelf with Duplicolor roll on rino lining, all in all the project cost about $45 including storage bin.

normal_img_1587.jpg

normal_img_1586.jpg

Looks good! What is that pack that your Spot is attached to? I like that on the inside of the rear door like that.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
It's called an M-PAC and its made by Springtail Solutions http://www.springtailsolutions.com/ They currently only make products for the FJ but they are working on a similar system for Jeeps, although I'm sure you could integrate this into almost anything with the right connections. Here is a pic of our original set-up:

normal_img_1098.jpg

Once we got the fridge we had to change it up a bit because the packs that came with the rack wouldn't fit anymore. So I purchased some new packs from Maxpedition.com that fit a little better with the new set-up, and moved the old packs to a different place in the truck or just got rid of them:

0224b_1383_general.jpg

0226-1_1011_general.jpg
0226-1(2)_1840_general.jpg

0324b_926_general.jpg

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Question, where did you guys source the carpeting that some of you have lined your sleeping platforms with? I'm looking for something that is low profile that will clean easily. I'm starting my storage/sleeping platform build today for the Tundra.

targa88

Explorer
upcruiser said:
Question, where did you guys source the carpeting that some of you have lined your sleeping platforms with? I'm looking for something that is low profile that will clean easily. I'm starting my storage/sleeping platform build today for the Tundra.

Marine carpet from Home Depot:6x8 roll about $20 for the thin stuff - thicker is more expensive. Used the thinner stuff to line the inside of the drawers/compartments and thicker for the top/outside of the platform.

4wd Vanny

I finished my sleeping platform last week and took it camping to see how it works...

Plenty of room......
KeyHoleFire031.jpg

KeyHoleFire032.jpg

KeyHoleFire023.jpg

The dogs nest while driving.....
KeyHoleFire025.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz