Post up your drawer/storage system

coop74

Old Camping Dude
Seen www.bedslide.com? I've checked them out, they aren't full extension but close enough. They don't use typical drawer slides, but rather they use a pair of rollers fixed to the back of the bed, and rollers that ride in a C channel fixed to the platform at the front of the bed. IMO they eat up a lot of height since the rollers are underneath the platform, I'd mount them to the side.
That is what I want to emulate, all like it seem to have walls on the platform, I want mine to be smooth to the edge so I have a larger flat space. Plus 1k is a pretty steep price.

mezmochill

Is outside
That is what I want to emulate, all like it seem to have walls on the platform, I want mine to be smooth to the edge so I have a larger flat space. Plus 1k is a pretty steep price.

I,ve seen pictures of skate board wheel bearings fastened to plywood one above another with 1 inch of space between them. Then 1 inch steel tube is used as a " runner" between the tubes. Tubing and bearings are cheap.

MotoDave

Explorer

Not sure what you're wanting to do. You can't make the slide out part wider than the wheel wells - so to me it makes sense to have 'edges' to the platform to keep stuff in place. I don't think $1k is bad considering what's involved, but sure you CAN make something yourself cheaper.

The idea mezmochill referred to will work fine, you'd have an upright portion fastened to the ed with the bearings, and the 'tubes' will be fastened to the side of your platform. Don't have to do it drawer style.

I drew this design up a while ago for making drawer slides any length you want using the same principle as the bedslide. It uses cam follower bearings that ride in 2 pieces of C channel, one (inside) fixed to the bed, and one fixed to the drawer or paltform. If you fix it to the side of the platform it'll be lower profile than the bedlide type.
drawer_1.jpg

drawer_2.jpg

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Nice. It's similar to what I want to build. My seats flip up tho but still. You have motivated me to start doing something with mine tomorrow c

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I rather use this and strap it to the back. Allow for quick removal and it's all self contained and it doubles as a table.
Looks pricey
Loadmaster medical case
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430193765.627249.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jeffem62

2004 Jeep Rubicon

I got lots of ideas from this thread. 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. Used 3/4 inch birch. Home Depot did all the big cuts. Used a Kreg Pocket Hole Jig and wood glue. The jig is amazing and easy. Main compartment is 24 inches deep. Front compartment is 9 inches deep and will hold second battery, fuse panel and inverter. Will probable keep it open. Not sure yet if I will do a drawer. Will finish up with carpet and aluminum angle for edges. Overall pretty easy. After reading all 100 +pages of this thread I felt like a carpenter. Entire build cost me $95.00. That includes the jig wood screws and glue.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    523.3 KB · Views: 202
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    526.9 KB · Views: 209
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    527.9 KB · Views: 202

otis24

Observer
I got lots of ideas from this thread. 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. Used 3/4 inch birch. Home Depot did all the big cuts. Used a Kreg Pocket Hole Jig and wood glue. The jig is amazing and easy. Main compartment is 24 inches deep. Front compartment is 9 inches deep and will hold second battery, fuse panel and inverter. Will probable keep it open. Not sure yet if I will do a drawer. Will finish up with carpet and aluminum angle for edges. Overall pretty easy. After reading all 100 +pages of this thread I felt like a carpenter. Entire build cost me $95.00. That includes the jig wood screws and glue.

Very clean build! I too am going to use pocket hole screws and birch plywood.
What length kreg screws did you use?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach