Post up your drawer/storage system

RgrBox

Adventurer
Like many I have pulled ideas/inspiration from this thread, so thought I'd post up my 'completed' system as a contribution to the thread. (we know it's never really done.)

Requirements were pretty simple, flat deck to securely hold the crates for my dogs or peli cases, maximum use of the space for storage in drawers and over wheel wells, and storage for items like camp table, camp chairs and long guns.

So 1" square tubing (16 gauge wall) used to build the skeleton. Then skinned with 22 gauge sheet metal. Aluminum drawers with 125lbs. slides with misc hardware. 1/4 plate used as backer for the Mac Tie downs. Grade 8 hardware used to secure the elements together and to the tub of the truck. Cut and fit some inexpensive indoor/outdoor carpeting as liners for the deck and drawers. An upholstery shop trimmed it up as I don't have a sewing machine.

As you can see in the images, there's the base piece, drawer system which goes on top of the base, plus two wheel well storage elements. The last piece is open storage for now, but I want to replace it with a tank of some sort to hold water. I just haven't settled on the idea - AT like tank, build one out of Aluminum or Stainless, carry bladders, or something else..... I need to review this whole thread again. Some of the fold down nozzle ideas were pretty slick.

For cost, some material was pretty reasonable like the 1" tube @ $14 a 20ft stick. On the other hand, the T-handle latches were expensive.

For time, it took me well over 40 hours easy, as I'm not the fastest.

Like most projects, after your done you realize there's some things you could have done differently/better, so if anyone goes down path of a project like this, I'd be happy to provide some insight.

WOW.. that looks great!!

Snagger

Explorer
Some of these systems are truly inspirational and inspired.

I Have two storage boxes in the back of my 109, behind the second row seats and in the position that would be occupied by the bench seats in a 109/110 station wagon. I still need more, and had been leaning towards the Mobile Storage Solutions long Defender drawer, but seeing some of the ideas, I'm now considering making a box-section steel frame that will bolt to the inboard edges of the wheel arches with opening lids level with the wheel arches (like the MSS drawer), similar in concept to many systems on here. That would allow me to to use the space above the chest to accommodate my dogs or other loads, and would also allow access to the removable floor panel for fuel tank access.

My Waeco fridge may fit behind the first row cubby box, between the foot wells for the second row seats, but if not, it'll have to go near the back door in place of one of the existing lockers. By making my own steel frame and using partial span lids, that will allow the fridge to sit on the wheel arch and first 1/5 of the chest, and I'd be able to fit cargo rails on the fixed sections to tie loads down, unlike with a pre-manufactured chest system.

The MSS drawer has a lot of good points, but I'd have to modify the top panel for fuel tank access (I wouldn't fit it as is because the wholething would need to be removed any time the top of the tank needed work, like fuel lines), and of course, any drawer looses a little volume through the bottom skin and floor clearance as well as the side walls and rail spaces.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
here's mine- cheap and cheerfull

12mm plywood screwed and glued, no slides no catches, no wasted space
two main drawers and 2 side lift up panels.

the fridge will get a slideout too when I get around to it !

DSC_3837.jpg

DSC_3838.jpg

DSC_3840.jpg

DSC_3839.jpg

TNxterra

Observer
you guys have some of the most incredible storage systems. Right now I'm using a couple of bucket boss bags and an action packer.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
For you guys that have "sleeping platforms" with your storage drawers, how much headroom are you getting away with?

I ask because when trying to design my own drawer system, I quickly figured out that if I used "normal sitting up" height as my headroom target, I had to have pretty short drawers!

BirfMark

Observer
I don't recall how much head room I have exactly. I remember my drawers are taller than most, at somewhere around 14". I think most of the Land Cruiser guys run their storage systems at about 9 or 10" tall.

I figured I spend most of my time lying down on the sleeping platform, not trying to get dressed or sitting up. If I do have to get dressed, I can do so outside of the rig. Also, deeper drawers gives me that much more storage space to secure gear. I decided to forego headroom in exchange for storage area & the little sacrifice of headroom/comfort.

DesertBoater

Adventurer
I've just got a cab-high cap on the back of my Tacoma, and my drawers are based around milk crates...they've got just enough space to slide in on top, and a little bit of framework underneath to support them on the bottom...so my platform is about 14" high. I cannot sit up inside, but can be on my knees to put a shirt or something on...it's not a lot of room, but I'm used to sleeping on boats, so it's about the same. I don't mind it, but I know a lot of other folks do. If I had to guess I'd probably say that i've got about 24" of headroom. Does that help?

Cheers,
West

southpier

Expedition Leader
along those same lines, and not so off topic as to start another thread ...

what does everyone do with their tailgate & hatch lid when bedding down for the night?

the tailgate tent seems okay for mild conditions, but to be able to use the tailgate space without getting rained on, is there a plan? i have thought of plywood "wings" and a back door, but someone must have dealt with this before.

i'm not that innovative!

Mtn Mike

Observer
along those same lines, and not so off topic as to start another thread ...

what does everyone do with their tailgate & hatch lid when bedding down for the night?

the tailgate tent seems okay for mild conditions, but to be able to use the tailgate space without getting rained on, is there a plan? i have thought of plywood "wings" and a back door, but someone must have dealt with this before.

i'm not that innovative!

I have a tarp that spans from my Yakima rack, over the tail gate, to a couple of tent poles. Not eligant, but cheap and it works.

Greggk

ZombieSoldier
All i have to say is this an epic thread for me... i have been searching around for ideas to do this same type of thing, and this was linked to me from another forum. Some of you have some elaborate setups compared to my simplistic idea i have in mind, but they are truly great designs! thanks, Greggk

Greggk

ZombieSoldier
btw have y'all found that a drawer setup or a lift top setup to be better for these? this is my biggest conundrum right now.. :bowdown:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues