Post up your drawer/storage system

Heifer Boy

Adventurer
Wood on tape works fine but I wanted to prevent any wear on the wood and finish. Even as slick as the tape is, accumulated dust would quicky eat into the finish.

That's exactly the issue I have had with both my builds. My drawers are a lot larger than yours and when I have a full load of camping gear, a full kitchen, fridge and water on board they are very heavy. They slide ok but definatly wear down the wood and kilos of bulldust after an outback trip doesn't help one bit. I got around it by occasionally applying a silicon spray to the wood where it was wearing and it made a big difference to how easy it was to slide the drawers. It dosen't stop the wear of the wood although my current setup is better with expoxy finish but still not great.

I was thinking in the future if it became a problem I could inset 3mm aluminium strips for the runners to slide on. This UHMW tape is a much better idea and not one I have ever heard of or seen before. So thanks for posting up your build. You have helped me a lot for future projects.

I knew I had a justification for subscribing to all these forums...

Woodsman

Adventurer
Re: UHMW tape

You can also buy UHMW in strips and angles of 1/8" and 1/4" thickness. The advantage being that a strip gives you an allowance which permits countersinking a screw and an angle gives you this countersinking allowance and prevents friction along the sides.

Also, as far as the wood goes, the old furniture-makers' standard for lubing drawers is to use wax on the bottom edges of the drawer (such as what you buy at the grocery store for canning or lubing wood screws). Anything liquid generally doesn't last long or just makes a mess.

Heifer Boy

Adventurer
You can also buy UHMW in strips and angles of 1/8" and 1/4" thickness. The advantage being that a strip gives you an allowance which permits countersinking a screw and an angle gives you this countersinking allowance and prevents friction along the sides.

Never seen this is Oz but it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I just got my runners cut 10mm thick at a plastic suppliers from 20mm sheet stock and drilled and countersunk them myself.

Also, as far as the wood goes, the old furniture-makers' standard for lubing drawers is to use wax on the bottom edges of the drawer (such as what you buy at the grocery store for canning or lubing wood screws). Anything liquid generally doesn't last long or just makes a mess.

That's ok too but I'm talking about my drawer slides weighing about 50-80kgs each when full so nothing will stop the wearing of the wood. Epecially when it's all mixed with dust and grit. UHMW on UHMW seems a much better plan.

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
my drawer system on the works....

I decided to make my own and this is what came up with...

IMAG1556.jpg

IMAG1551.jpg

IMAG1555.jpg

IMAG1534.jpg

IMAG0537.jpg

IMAG1703.jpgIMAG1704.jpg

Still gotta put a slide out table on the driver side drawer and locks......

These are ubber quiet and can hold up to 500@ fully extended...at 42"

Last edited:

SilverBullet

Explorer
Best $6.00 I even spent...
IMAG0009.jpg

IMAG0010.jpg

All I had to do was give it a good cleaning. Needs rebuilt or re-carpeted some time, but works fine for now.

Woodsman

Adventurer
Finally finished the drawer unit for my FJ Cruiser.

Sized to sit about the same height as the side shelf in the cargo area and width allows for two mounted side by side although I have a fridge mounted on the right. I will also be working on some other variations including fridge slides and camp kitchens in the near future. A set of 80 series drawers is in the background. I will be installing those later today.

FJDrawer.jpg

Woodsman

Adventurer
Couldn't get out of the shop to install these today but here is a setup for an 80 series Land Cruiser. The side wings still need to be fitted. I'm shopping for a beater 80 for use in fitting custom setups.

Features:
1) 250 lb capacity 36" drawer slides
2) Two dividers in each drawer adjustable in 32mm increments (more can be added)
3) Stainless paddle latch / slam latch with tamper-proof stainless fasteners
4) Hinged side wings which open to allow storage along each side
5) A folding sleeping platform which, when folded and not in use, fits easily between the rear seat back and the drawer units
6) Drawer interior sized to allow one quart oil bottles to stand up and exterior height provided a nearly flat sleeping surface with the sleeping platform resting on the folded seat back

80seriesdrawersclosed.jpg

80seriesdrawersopen.jpg

Uglyduck

Adventurer
Woodsman, are the 250lb slides less expensive than the typical Accuride HD slides? I imagine so, I think they'll suit my application well.

Woodsman

Adventurer
Thanks for the compliments. I'm looking forward to producing a stock line for common rigs, custom units and some pullout camp kitchens.

I'm in good shape on having an FJ to fit but I really need an 80 (even if a non-runner) to fit to. Also, a good friend/neighbor has a 4th gen 4Runner which I hope to borrow for fitting later this summer.

Woodsman, are the 250lb slides less expensive than the typical Accuride HD slides? I imagine so, I think they'll suit my application well.

Yes, much less expensive. I've worked out pricing of less than $30/pair on them which is just ridiculous (good that is) IMO for a 36" slide. Of course, the average guy buying one or two pair will pay more. I've also worked out great pricing on the KV lock in/lock out slides which go up to 60" length.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater