Post up your drawer/storage system

southpier

Expedition Leader
are the outlets accessed from the front of the box?

and is there any type of slide strip under the drawer?

Bennettbf

Observer
The outlets are at the front of the box and are fairly accessible. With 400 watts available, charging Kindles, cellphones and the laptop shouldn't be a problem.

The drawers ride on oak rails inset into the drawer uprights and the drawers themselves have a 3/8[sup]th[/sup]" deep dado running down the sides. It's pretty old school, but given the price of drawer slides longer than 24", it was the only economical choice.

100_0567.jpg

Bennettbf

Observer
We're doing the big tour of the West for the next few weeks, here is the drawer box and pantry box in action outside of Badlands NP in South Dakota:

100_0603.jpg

While the box isn't being employed in this shot, it's been damn handy so far. Glad I built it.

B

Honu

lost on the mainland
for sure love to have my kitchen/chuck setup so I can get to it easy for on the road lunches though :)

looks like a good setup for access that way :)

We're doing the big tour of the West for the next few weeks, here is the drawer box and pantry box in action outside of Badlands NP in South Dakota:

View attachment 169037

While the box isn't being employed in this shot, it's been damn handy so far. Glad I built it.

B

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Built a sleeping platform extension out of birch onto the front of the AO drawers for the 80.

IMG_20130623_141904_683.jpgIMG_20130623_141854_117.jpg

jh.

ambitiose sed ineptum
Built a sleeping platform extension out of birch onto the front of the AO drawers for the 80.

View attachment 169681View attachment 169682

Looks awesome. Exactly the same configuration I was going for but it looks like your footwell was wider than mine. Your fridge appears quite a bit larger. I hinged the front portion to actually sit on top of the fridge when fully extended. Giving it a whirl this week finally.

jh.

ambitiose sed ineptum
I've owned my Disco for about 4 months now, and a sleeping platform has been designed and redesigned in my brain since day one. I removed the back seats as I don't need room for more than me, the girlfriend, and the dog.

I wanted to reserve space for my fridge and create permanent storage, while making a sleeping platform all 5'11" of me could stretch out on comfortably. I took the pics below before adding hinges, which are now installed and work well. Drawers will come sometime in the next few months, but it's usable as is.

I may end up doing a full write-up when completed if it looks good enough and acts as tough as I hope it will - however I am the furthest thing from a carpenter (don't look closely!).

Fully extended (with the hinged front portion down and the front seats all the way forward - this makes for a 78" platform):
View attachment 166163

The front portion now folded back to reveal the small fridge I have. The passenger seat goes back just far enough to not be horribly uncomfortable. I did remove the glove box to add some knee room (not that it could have been opened with a passenger in the seat anyway):
View attachment 166164

Future changes: Obviously add some drawers. I've decided on using bed liner to better match the black interior. First I thought carpet...but I have a dog that loves shedding. Then I thought I'd use a nice stain and lacquer the poop out of it to make it look pretty...but this is also my hunting/skiing/fishing rig and the back will see some abuse. Bed liner seems to be the best option. Also am going to add a power supply to the front of the box that will always be hot. Rails and tie down points will be added to the top.

Thanks for all of the help with ideas....I've read through this entire thread a few times. I'm surprised it turned out almost exactly as I pictured it - but I shouldn't be since I stole a lot from this site. I'm relieved to be beyond the planning phase, and entering the utilizing phase - I've spent far too much time on this site reading and not enough time adventuring.

:friday:

Herculined:

20130629-SleepingPlatform_zpse1c4560a.jpg

20130629-FoldedPlatform_zps2b52ebf5.jpg

green73brc

Observer
pic33.jpg
IMG_20130806_091003_701.jpgIMG_20130806_091030_208.jpg

I read through the entire thread and took a little bit of everything that I liked to put this together.

I dont have any better pics right now but this is the maiden voyage for the system. It was so nice to have on our 3 day trip. The action packer fits in front of the fridge to make a really slick setup.

1 inch Steel Frame Mounted with J hooks to the 3rd row 1/2 seat
.5 birch plywood
.75 birch plywood (for the fridge slide out)
48 Inch Lock in Lock out 500lb slides from ryadon
The actual drawers were put together with pocket screws and glue
The bottom drawer has a top that is always on. It doubles as a work/cook top
Kids hand prints in paint :)

Last edited:

bobDog

Expedition Leader
View attachment 170157

I read through the entire thread and took a little bit of everything that I liked to put this together.

I dont have any better pics right now but this is the maiden voyage for the system. It was so nice to have on our 3 day trip. The action packer fits in front of the fridge to make a really slick setup.

1 inch Steel Frame Mounted with J hooks to the 3rd row 1/2 seat
.5 birch plywood
.75 birch plywood (for the fridge slide out)
48 Inch Lock in Lock out 500lb slides from ryadon
The actual drawers were put together with pocket screws and glue
The bottom drawer has a top that is always on. It doubles as a work/cook top
Kids hand prints in paint :)
Folks do not understand how strong pocket screws are specially if you have a really square table saw. and a little glue is awesome! Actually most folks do not know what pocket screws are! Good way to build.
I tend to hate kid photos but those hand prints are so nice looking! Nice touch.
the bDog

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Looks awesome. Exactly the same configuration I was going for but it looks like your footwell was wider than mine. Your fridge appears quite a bit larger. I hinged the front portion to actually sit on top of the fridge when fully extended. Giving it a whirl this week finally.

Thanks. Looking forward to using it this week. The footwell is a tight fit, but thankfully the better half is short so she doesn't need the seat all the way back! haha.

jeepin_idaho

Adventurer
Folks do not understand how strong pocket screws are specially if you have a really square table saw. and a little glue is awesome! Actually most folks do not know what pocket screws are! Good way to build.
I tend to hate kid photos but those hand prints are so nice looking! Nice touch.
the bDog

Agreed on the pocket screws! I recommend that everyone got buy a krieg jig before starting a building project like this.

Dan
http://the4x4podcast.com

SOFME

Observer
image.jpg

3/4 Douglas
Grade 5 and 7 hardware
Bedliner spray.
Details in my build thread (Okinawa express, pajero io

Forum statistics

Threads
Members