Post up your drawer/storage system

uber

Observer
been lurking for a bit, gathering a lot of ideas.. finally decided to start my build, figured i'd share my progress. i'll let the pics do the talking..

IMAG0154.jpg

IMAG0158.jpg

IMAG0164.jpg

IMAG0165.jpg

IMAG0173.jpg

IMAG0174.jpg

IMAG0178-2.jpg

uber

Observer
thanks.. sturdy is the key word, as the end result will be a sleeping platform. I also like to hit more aggressive trails, so I needed something that could stand up to a bit of abuse.

Dazrin

Adventurer
Mine isn't nearly as well crafted as many of the setups here, but I thought I would share my setup in my Land Cruiser (93 FZJ80)

The top is 3/4" ACX plywood, sanded and primed w/ Kilz then carpeted with cheap Home Depot indoor/outdoor carpet that is a remnant from what we used for her play house. Not shown are 4 recessed tie down rings in the main section of the top (added after these pictures). The top has three hinged sections - a long wide one at the front that will be a separate storage area eventually (divider board not in place yet) and two sides at the wheel wells that fold up to allow removal.

The frame is a little unusual for a couple reasons. First that I wanted to get the height as close to 11.5" as possible so that the overall height of the platform matched the second row seats when they are folded down and raised to flat. The second is that I wanted to have a built-in rail for a future drawer. The frame is 2x10's on edge notched for three 2x4s width wise that support the top and hinged sections. The 2x4s are about 3/4" narrower than the tailgate so that I can slide the whole platform in and out. The 2x10s sit on 2x6s which will be used as slide rails for a future drawer (using UHMW polyethylene slides) and there will be about 1.5" below the drawer to store a thin table between the rails. It is secured in the front using turnbuckles to connect the floor tie-downs behind the second row seats to lag hooks into the 2x10s. The rear is secured by removing the rear tie-downs and bolting the 2x6 through the floor to the four existing M6x1.00 thread holes. The holes are lined up with the 2x10, so I had to notch the 2x10 to get access. that also allows for the future slides to not interfere with the bolts.

I plan to add a center divider below the hinge for the front section to separate the front storage area and include a locking mechanism (probably a simple cane bolt and eye) below the main area to lock the front storage area. I normally have two car seats in the second row which will prevent the seats from being folded, so if the top can't be lifted it will be fairly secure and hidden.

Finished product works as a double wide bed, uses the second row seats folded and raised with a block of 2x4 to be flat. My daughter loves it!
9400618915_5dfbd0d090.jpg

Carpeted on top to reduce noise and glare in the back window. Not shown are 4 recessed tie down rings on the top added after this picture was taken.
9399308494_2fc1bf26de_b.jpg

With tailgate closed it is about 2" below the top of the tailgate, enough to keep things from rolling out.
9396540539_7fd96aa384.jpg

Top of platform before side hinges were installed. The recessed tie downs are in the main/center section of plywood.
9399308888_0274b805a9.jpg

Frame as I was test-fitting, does not include the middle cross piece yet which was added to have a support at the front hinge and for the side wings to sit on.
9399308232_5eeefb678e.jpg

ckkone

Explorer
Hard to tell in pictures but there is plenty of room. It will actually roll in and out with the fridge lid open, would be nice to have the LoadSpotter but a small Ikea step stool should do the trick.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Finished the first stage of my storage build today. Next up is electrical systems and cargo management, and sleeping deck.
null_zps3ae15540.jpg

null_zpse550c69b.jpg

null_zpsa2b18933.jpg

null_zpsba07f350.jpg

null_zps0367cba3.jpg

null_zps220a2a76.jpg

null_zpsca5324f3.jpg

null_zpsa0f42260.jpg
[/QUOTE]

southpier

Expedition Leader
clean!

what's inside the cabinets? where did you source the hatch doors? any "under construction" photos?

nice job; thanks

taiden

Observer
Hey all, I slurped all the photos from this thread and put it in a zip file. Hope someone finds this useful.

I've never used filedropper before so I hope it works for others. I found it very nice to be able to skim through these on my computer instead of through expo.

Thanks all for the fantastic ideas, I'm going to start working out my storage system for my daily XJ soon.

http://www.filedropper.com/jeepstorageideas

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach