Post your RAM mounted gear!

carbon60

Explorer
(I originally wrote most of this as a response to another thread, but then I thought I should start a new one.)

I am quite satisfied with my current setup, though the ergonomics could be improved:

IMG_0019_2.jpgIMG_0020_2.jpg

The gear is an iPad 2 in an Otterbox Defender case and the control head for the Kenwood TM-V71A transceiver.

It's all RAM: seat bolt plate, flex arm, etc:

- RAM Mount Plastic Rail Base for Aluminum Flex Rod (RAM-B-309-5U)
- RAM Mount Plastic Short Arm B-Socket (RAP-B-201U-A)
- RAM Mount Diamond Plate with 1 inch Ball (RAP-B-238U)
- RAM Mount Universal 10 inch Tablet Mount Tab-Tite Cradle (RAM-HOL-TAB8U)
- RAM Mount Cradle Plate Vehicle Floor Mount 1.0 inch Ball (RAM-B-316-1-238U)

Some of those part numbers are actually "groups" of RAM parts, to make ordering simpler. You end up receiving everything seperately as a big pile of black bits. (Can be somewhat entertaining to figure out.) I find that some of RAM's choices are not ideal. For example, a kit might include the specific mount for a device (i.e. smartphone), the arm and the suction mount. But RAM makes a few different grades and lengths of arms, plus a couple strengths of suction mount. So, in hindsight, I would order the specific parts that I want.

Also visible in the photo is the mount I use for my iPhone:

- RAM Mount Universal X-Grip Locking Suction Cup Mount (RAM-B-166-UN7U)

And a mount for the not-visible DeLorme inReach:

- RAM Mount DeLorme inReach Lite Suction Mount (RAP-B-166-2-DEL2U)

The inReach mount, in hindsight, is not sturdy enough. I might have to upgrade that.

What other RAM mounts do people use? Post your photos!

A.

BrianTN

Adventurer
Here is my console:
Photo%20Aug%2017%2C%2017%2008%2039.jpg

For the most part I like it, but it will wobble some, likely due to the mud terrains.

Last edited:

BrianTN

Adventurer
I like how it can be customized. Right now it is setup as: CB, pocket, cup holders, cigarette plugs, and two rows of switches. Eventually the pocket will be switched to a ham radio and smaller pocket. My console is the longer version, with I think 19" of space to fill up.

I have the base bolted directly to the floor with the stock console bolt locations so I didn't need their brackets. Which is great because they don't offer them for the Tundra. A U shaped piece then bolts to the base, and the console unit bolts to that U shaped piece. This piece has multiple choices for height in front and rear to allow a slope if desired or pretty flat. With the mud terrains it does shake some, so I made some brackets that fit on the outside of the U piece. This did help a lot, but hasn't eliminated the shake entirely.

Looking back I do like it, and would probably go a similar route if I were to do it again.

BrianTN

Adventurer
A picture when I first installed the console, with my 897 on the front, which is no longer in the truck:
IMG_3631.jpg

Some close up of switches installed:
IMG_4131.jpg

I can get other pictures if you would like them. Some may be posted in my build thread somewhere.

Last edited:

lugueto

Adventurer
No pics but I mount a handheld GPS (Garmin 62s) using a suction cup mount, I just stick it to the windshield and remove it when not in used.

On my previous car I had no cupholders so I used RAM's swivelled cup holders using the same suction cupo on the windshield. I also had a 1" ball drilled to the dash where I stuck the same GPS.

Boost Creep

Adventurer
also run a seat mount with the x grip for an ipad mini. i found it was a bit wobbly so i too made a brace for mine to hold it steady

035_zps5cd942c6.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad