post your Suburban pics

BigTex

Observer
Been talking about a camper for years. Pop up, truck camper, travel trailer, 5th wheel.... Never could get my wife on board. Lately she's become a foodie, and was not too keen on vacationing, and eating out every meal. She also likes the thought of sleeping in her "own" bed as opposed to hotel beds. All the sudden there is an interest in bringing your own food, kitchen, and bed with you. Since she and the two kids haven't ever been in a camper, we decided to rent one to see how we liked it, even though we didn't have the "own" bed part, we at least got to dry run the RV lifestyle. Long story short, we'll have been home from the trip a week tomorrow, and signed papers on one yesterday.....

Here's the rental unit, Let the good times roll!

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv3%3C4%3B%3B%3Enu%3D9844%3E%3B67%3E257%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3C834%3B3%3B7348nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv3%3B899%3Enu%3D9844%3E%3B67%3E257%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3C837%3A347348nu0mrj

dieselfuel

Adventurer
My new West coast find, 1991 V2500 5.7 4L80e, soon to be an LQ4 6.0, It's being delivered this Friday from SOCAL

ooh, that's pretty! congrats that's gonna be a great truck. the paint looks really good, i'm jealous. sometimes i wish i had gone with a 6.0 instead but i really love my 5.3 swapped suburban.

I picked up this '87 V20 from a guy in Sacramento about a year ago. He couldn't get it to pass smog so I got it for $850! 1 temp sensor later and the idle dropped and it passed smog with flying colors. Since then I've only tossed on some 33" BFG's, an ORD 4" kit and that's about it. I think it has some lower than normal gearing because I've been to Hollister Hills a couple times and it's a monster.

Plans include a 14FF, 4-speed trans of some kind and since I want to make it a proper overland truck a roof basket, roof tent and rear drawers. I absolutely love this thing.

View attachment 276825

awesome find! nice video too, looks like a cool place to go wheeling.

Last edited:

Renntag

Adventurer
Not many 98/99's or later years in here!

I see decent representation of the GMT400 and newer burbs, I personally find the 1991 and back to the beginning to be the most interesting. Expedition prep a 1966 burb for major wow ! (All personal taste). I have owned several GMT400 burbs and like them. The newer burbs are luxurious. The old stuff is just rugged and adventure inspiring. All personal taste. :coffeedrink:

tvismr2

Here's my '99 burb that I traded my high mileage '05 Camry with my parents to get (which then went to my little brother) about a year and a half ago. I found this Suburban for them and talked them into buying it 10 years ago. I fell in love with it the first time I saw it. Now it's mine :)

It's taken my wife, 5yo daughter, and myself on many road trips and adventures in the short year and a half I've had it. We've recently decided that we liked exploring and camping so much that we've made other vehicle changes in our household and sold our '99 Tacoma TRD and '03 IS300 and replaced them with a '10 F250 6.4 FX4 quad cab short bed (cabover camper coming soon) and a '01 Jeep XJ. Upon getting the F250 we had decided the Suburban was gonna go.... But then we took it camping again 2 weekends in a row and we've decided it must stay :D. We're going again in it this weekend haha

Anywho,

Rev. Chuck

Here's my '99 burb that I traded my high mileage '05 Camry with my parents to get (which then went to my little brother) about a year and a half ago. I found this Suburban for them and talked them into buying it 10 years ago. I fell in love with it the first time I saw it. Now it's mine :)

It's taken my wife, 5yo daughter, and myself on many road trips and adventures in the short year and a half I've had it. We've recently decided that we liked exploring and camping so much that we've made other vehicle changes in our household and sold our '99 Tacoma TRD and '03 IS300 and replaced them with a '10 F250 6.4 FX4 quad cab short bed (cabover camper coming soon) and a '01 Jeep XJ. Upon getting the F250 we had decided the Suburban was gonna go.... But then we took it camping again 2 weekends in a row and we've decided it must stay :D. We're going again in it this weekend haha

Anywho,

Travis you are drunk, go back to the MR2 forums :p

tgdoumit

Adventurer
here's a pic of my 88 high sierra 2500 3/4 ton suburban "MOBY"

this is my second suburban.
i picked it up about a week ago after shopping for the perfect rig to slip a 6bt cummins into. i am partial to suburbans for some reason and i think my engine choice would be a great addition.
the previous owner kinda snookered me on the deal i think but i was really most interested in everything but the engine.
when i bought it, it drove and ran really well. at lower speeds. he told me it had a small oil leak and a little miss in the ignition along with a welded exhaust manifold.
well, the exhaust leak is what it is, the oil leak was pretty bad and the miss was improperly gapped plugs and one that had the side wire contacting the electrode.
the distributor was loose enough to rotate halfway home (90 minutes) and strand me for a while and then it overheated after i got going again. when i got close to home (after cooling down) near midnight, i noticed a smoke haze trailing behind me.
well, i really wasn't in it for the engine but i was still disappointed. i know if someone who didn't know cars bought this thing with more expectations would have been crushed... i hadn't had this kind of experience buying a rig and i have done it a few dozen times...

well, i made it home and went straight to bed.

that weekend i decided to address some issues. the tbi was deleted for one. i am in the process of getting parts for reinstalling in the next project that this engine will power.
the po changed out the intake manifold and dizzy along with a q-jet carb?????? why????
the plugs, well, i gapped them at 0.045 and the rig seems much happier
i pulled the intake and oil pressure switch looking for leaks and boy did i find em.
the manifold was installed with used gaskets and they didn't use enough silicone nor did they clean it well beforehand. it looks like they discovered the leak on the rear of the intake and tried to dam it up... fools...

theres other little things I'm going to address like the 4/5's blocked radiator...

on the good side, it had everything i wanted pretty much and those worked great. it really is in good shape and the engine stuff is all easy to fix. i plan on driving it for a while before i do the diesel swap as it is a fun and solid ride. it will be reliable transportation by the end of the week. this will hold me over while i accumulate the other needed parts for the swap.

i started a thread for the build. stop on by and check in once in a while. i will probably have a thread somewhere for the 84 grand wagoneer that will get the 5.7 tbi when i pull it out of the gmc.

tim :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven