Post your Switches

Stan the Man

Adventurer
I need some good ideas of dash mounted switches. I can't decide if I want to run toggle switches or the ARB style Carling switch. It'll be a mixture of on/off and on/off/on for my up coming goodies.

I was thinking mounting my radio head unit in a Tuffy console and then putting my switches in the single DIN space.

robert

Expedition Leader
No pictures handy, but I used an extra set of Hella Toyota switches in my old Taco. I've got some sitting at the house for whenever I get around to hooking up my lights. I like that they light up when they're on so I don't forget.

RallyLights sells them. http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=4975 No affiliation other than I've had good service from them on several products.

Casper

Adventurer
Not sure if they will work for you or not, but I have always loved the "aircraft" style switches. I used them in my Xterra.

IMG_2093.jpg

Not only do I think they just look cool, it is really easy to see when they are on. You can get them in any number of colors as well

Cheers.
Casper

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
I use a Motorola dek system. 6, 3amp switches running into 40amp relays. They control offroad lights,map light,aux battery2,compressor,radios,and other systems on the truck.It also dims with the dash lights and each switch has it's own light to show it is on. As you can see I run alot of radio equipment,these are just the control heads the radios are mounted behind the rear seats. This does not include the control head mounted by the rear view mirror on the upper headliner.

Attachments

• DSC01923.JPG
    DSC01923.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 364
  • DSC01924.JPG
    DSC01924.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
borrego I dig that setup...
off to google how much and where to buy

soonenough

Explorer
Casper - how do you like the RAM mount for your netbook? I've been going back and forth deciding how to mount mine, and that's one route I've considered.

Also, not sure if it bothers you or not, but thought I'd point out that you can find right-angle USB adapters if you don't want that USB cord sticking out across your A/C controls. Something like this (sorry for the huge pic, I couldn't find a smaller one):

rr-aar02t-14.jpg

Casper

Adventurer
Casper - how do you like the RAM mount for your netbook? I've been going back and forth deciding how to mount mine, and that's one route I've considered.

Also, not sure if it bothers you or not, but thought I'd point out that you can find right-angle USB adapters if you don't want that USB cord sticking out across your A/C controls. Something like this (sorry for the huge pic, I couldn't find a smaller one):

rr-aar02t-14.jpg

Thats just sweet, and perfect. Thank you. I didn't even think to look for one of those.

As to the Ram mount I love it. Since it's a "Net book", I didn't have to use a big bulky laptop tray. Just the universal mount and some velcro. I do need to add a "screen holder" to it. On bumpy rouds the screen tends to fold back.

Casper
:smiley_drive:

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
borrego I dig that setup...
off to google how much and where to buy

I picked them up on ebay. Listed under motorola dek. There are two types,one for lights ect the other you need a radio hooked up to it. The top one is just the switch box for goodies, same system the police dept.we had them in our car too,used them for the light bar, alley lights takedown lights and brake light cut off. The two on the right were momentary for shotgun lock release and trunk. The other type ran siren tones PA.ext radio and electric air horn.. If found in good shape they work great and very reliable, never had one fail. The other stuff is of course radios,top is 800mgz,lowband and a Yeasu ft8900r ham and not shown by headliner is VHF. All radios are 110watt 128 ch. the Yeasu is somewhere around 800ch. Switch box model is HLN 1196B made by motorola, You must use relays with each switch or the box will burn up. New they are very expensive about 200.00 ebay about 35.00 for one that is working.370166191095 on ebay right now at 125.00 new in the box and that is cheap.

Last edited:

KG6BWS

Explorer
I picked them up on ebay. Listed under motorola dek. There are two types,one for lights ect the other you need a radio hooked up to it. The top one is just the switch box for goodies, same system the police dept.we had them in our car too,used them for the light bar, alley lights takedown lights and brake light cut off. The two on the right were momentary for shotgun lock release and trunk. The other type ran siren tones PA.ext radio and electric air horn.. If found in good shape they work great and very reliable, never had one fail. The other stuff is of course radios,top is 800mgz,lowband and a Yeasu ft8900r ham and not shown by headliner is VHF. All radios are 110watt 128 ch. the Yeasu is somewhere around 800ch. Switch box model is HLN 1196B made by motorola, You must use relays with each switch or the box will burn up. New they are very expensive about 200.00 ebay about 35.00 for one that is working.370166191095 on ebay right now at 125.00 new in the box and that is cheap.

out of curiosity....what do you use the brake light cut off for??

lance - check out this page, about midway down, several different switch boxes simliar to borregos.

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
out of curiosity....what do you use the brake light cut off for??

lance - check out this page, about midway down, several different switch boxes simliar to borregos.

I do not use a brake cutoff nor is one installed on my truck. In the PD we used it while comming up to a call or down alleys at night with headlights off to kinda sneak around during patrol so as not to burn yourself off to your presents. Kinda stealth mode.

KG6BWS

Explorer
I do not use a brake cutoff nor is one installed on my truck. In the PD we used it while comming up to a call or down alleys at night with headlights off to kinda sneak around during patrol so as not to burn yourself off to your presents. Kinda stealth mode.

gotcha. thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle