Pre 1985 toyota SFA diesel Swaps

1stgenoverland

Adventurer
I noticed that there are quite a few people on here interested in doing diesel swaps into their stock pre 1985 toyota 4x4s. I know that I sure am. So I figured one thread to hear about different options available would be wise.

So first, Toyota Diesels, which are the most reliable, have the best power and torque specs, Easiest swap and easiest to modify. Which ones are best for overlanding and have the best hwy performance. Can a 3b diesel be made to fit?

Cummins Diesel, 4bt and 6bt....Why or why not. Can you make a 4bt quiet. Does a 6bt fit in the pre 85 toyota SFA, Do you need a lift kit to make the engine clear the axle...How much do they weigh?

Mercedes Diesels, 612 and 617...Does the 612 have enough power or is it pretty slow, Does it weigh more then its worth, How easy is it to modify to get more power. 617, To long, to heavy, does it clear the axle?

Vw Diesels, Light weight yes but are they good on the hwy pulling a much bigger vehicle they they were designed for. Reliability?

Other good diesels not mention just list them off with your opinions on reliability and performance and ease of engine swap.

Well thats all. Hope to clear some stuff up for people. After all...arent we all drooling over the possibility of a diesel swap :drool: :smiley_drive:

randito

The Mercedes OM617 is the new trendy swap to do and for good reason. 4x4labs just started making an adapter to mate it to the W56. There are some fitment issues with the front diff which I'm not totally clear on and a thin electric fan is required as well. If you search OM617 on here or mud, you will get multiple write ups.

The VW swap has also been done and ACME? sells and adapter for the W56. Personally I'd be a little more hesitant putting a small diesel that is meant for a small, light car into a significantly heavier truck (especially if set up for overlanding).

3B, I'm not too sure about, but with a proper adapter it would be great, though maybe a bit heavy. 4bt and 6bt I really doubt. Even in cruisers it seems that many people go with a 4bt and then decide that it's not for them after many thousands of dollars.

1kzte is supposed to be a great engine, but initial cost and parts supply many be somewhat prohibitive.

If I had the time and space, I'd be doing a Mercedes swap. Legendary durability, initial cost is very low, parts supply is great, runs well on bio or WVO and the engine was designed for a vehicle that is about the same weight as my truck.

1stgenoverland

Adventurer
I will be doing the om617 swap in the next year to my SFA 4runner...It would be cool to get some other ideas for people who want to do the same or simular swaps into there SFA toyotas

STAGE 2

Adventurer
I will be doing the om617 swap in the next year to my SFA 4runner...It would be cool to get some other ideas for people who want to do the same or simular swaps into there SFA toyotas

I would avoid the mercedes engine. As someone who owned one of these, its fine in a sedan, but I wouldn't ever want one off road. Its much heavier than the 22r engine, but there isn't any payoff with torque or fuel economy. So all you are doing is adding a massive amount of weight to your rig that is more complicated, drastically more expensive to operate and likely the same performance (or worse) than what you started with.

1stgenoverland

Adventurer
I would avoid the mercedes engine. As someone who owned one of these, its fine in a sedan, but I wouldn't ever want one off road. Its much heavier than the 22r engine, but there isn't any payoff with torque or fuel economy. So all you are doing is adding a massive amount of weight to your rig that is more complicated, drastically more expensive to operate and likely the same performance (or worse) than what you started with.

Being a mechanic myself I was skeptical about the idea of putting this engine in my 4runner. After much research however, I have found it to be a very practical offroading solution. Yes it is 180 lbs heavier then the 22re but coupled to a toyota 5 speed, it will produce 30+ MPG's with loads more torque. Also the options for modifying the engine to produce HP and torque are endless. Being that it is a freer revving diesel too, it will not be such a tractor as some diesels are. It is also one of the worlds most reliable engines too. So really, I believe for an overlanding vehicle, it is a most excellent choice to make. With 4x4labs making a conversion kit already it is even more possible.

STAGE 2

Adventurer
Being a mechanic myself I was skeptical about the idea of putting this engine in my 4runner. After much research however, I have found it to be a very practical offroading solution. Yes it is 180 lbs heavier then the 22re but coupled to a toyota 5 speed, it will produce 30+ MPG's with loads more torque. Also the options for modifying the engine to produce HP and torque are endless. Being that it is a freer revving diesel too, it will not be such a tractor as some diesels are. It is also one of the worlds most reliable engines too. So really, I believe for an overlanding vehicle, it is a most excellent choice to make. With 4x4labs making a conversion kit already it is even more possible.

The torque numbers for the turbocharged merc engine is 180ft lbs. A 22re puts out 142 ft lbs. That amount might register on the butt dyno if the weight was the same, but adding on 200 lbs and I really think you're going backwards. Thats especially since the hp numbers are almost identical. More importantly, once peak torque is reached, thats it. These things just die on the top end.

As far as mpg, the sedans get anywhere between 24-28 mpgs with mixed driving. Thats with a 4 speed tranny and 3.07 gears. You aren't going to be getting anywhere near 30 with 4.10's even with a 5th gear.

As I said before, if massively better fuel economy or massively more performance could be had then a swap makes sense. But thats not what you have here. Its no guarantee that you will get any better mileage and the extra power will likely be eaten up by the nearly 200 lbs of extra weight. Dont get me wrong, I really like these engines. I owned 2. They are fantastic for what they were designed for. But when you take a low revving diesel made for a crusing sedan and put it into a 4wheeler you are asking it to work in an environment that it wasn't designed for.

And most importantly, the cost of replacement parts will kill you.

Unorthodox

Id say the VW is a better option than the Mercedes, you would be losing engine weight, and producing more torque on the low end and the economy might be decent, it is supposed to give you 40mpg highway in the sedan and the weight difference chassis to chassis isnt tooo far off the cut would probable be more in aerodynamice. Just my 2c.

Now if somebody made a timing gear set instead of the belt, that would be ************.

1stgenoverland

Adventurer
keeping with Gas is a good idea but that poor little 22re just doesn't have the power to pull a trailer over the Many hills in British Columbia. So my reasoning behind the om617 was that it had and increase in torque, power, and economy. I know for a fact that this engine, even though heavier, would prove to be more reliable and better for towing then what I currently have. Also there are easy modifications I could do to increase power and torque. Like increasing the exhaust diameter so the turbo could spool up faster. This also increase fuel economy more because it pushes more air into the engine, increasing the fuel air mixture and decreasing the amount of smoke out the pipe. I won't be putting in 4.10's. That was only and idea. I want to make this truck decent for touring and so this diesel seemed like the best option. My other idea was putting a 3L engine out of a hilux into my 4runner. Smaller increases in hp and torque but reletively the same weight. You can do easy mods to these ones also but they are just not as strong as the mercedes engine. So I guess what Im really going for is more torque for the hills...I don't care much about HP or speed for that matter. I just want to be able to have better economy, reliability, and torque.

STAGE 2

Adventurer
keeping with Gas is a good idea but that poor little 22re just doesn't have the power to pull a trailer over the Many hills in British Columbia. So my reasoning behind the om617 was that it had and increase in torque, power, and economy. I know for a fact that this engine, even though heavier, would prove to be more reliable and better for towing then what I currently have. Also there are easy modifications I could do to increase power and torque. Like increasing the exhaust diameter so the turbo could spool up faster. This also increase fuel economy more because it pushes more air into the engine, increasing the fuel air mixture and decreasing the amount of smoke out the pipe. I won't be putting in 4.10's. That was only and idea. I want to make this truck decent for touring and so this diesel seemed like the best option. My other idea was putting a 3L engine out of a hilux into my 4runner. Smaller increases in hp and torque but reletively the same weight. You can do easy mods to these ones also but they are just not as strong as the mercedes engine. So I guess what Im really going for is more torque for the hills...I don't care much about HP or speed for that matter. I just want to be able to have better economy, reliability, and torque.

If your truck is a 4x4 then you are going to have 4.10's already. If you're set on this engine, thats fine, but at the very least find someone with one of these cars and drive it on the hills so you can see what its like. I'm almost certian that will change your mind.

1stgenoverland

Adventurer
So after reading more information on the om617 swap and reading about tons of other diesel swaps my mind may be changing once again. It appears that the initial engine I wanted to use is far to heavy for the application. So you guys may have been right. Good thing I did my research before diving into such a big retro fit. I am now looking at the much lighter vw 1.9l tdi engine as a possibility.

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
So after reading more information on the om617 swap and reading about tons of other diesel swaps my mind may be changing once again. It appears that the initial engine I wanted to use is far to heavy for the application. So you guys may have been right. Good thing I did my research before diving into such a big retro fit. I am now looking at the much lighter vw 1.9l tdi engine as a possibility.

Why not go with a Toyota diesel? You're in Canada and I see diesel Toyota's for sale there all of the time. You could part out a truck with a diesel or order a half cut from Japan. Maybe a 2L-T, 1KZ-T, or 1KZ-TE.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad