Pre 1985 toyota SFA diesel Swaps

1stgenoverland

Adventurer
Why not go with a Toyota diesel? You're in Canada and I see diesel Toyota's for sale there all of the time. You could part out a truck with a diesel or order a half cut from Japan. Maybe a 2L-T, 1KZ-T, or 1KZ-TE.

Well. The difference is price. I would love to find a nice 1kz-t. Or a 3l-t it's a lot of initial finances to get one of those. That would be my first choice believe me. Volkswagen diesels are more available and easier to get parts for. Because of their availability they are much more tunable as well. Would be easy for me to find a 1.6 vw diesel and tune up the injectors, pump and turbo to get 120 hp and around 150 ftlbs of torque. Or more even. Buying a Toyota diesel I would have difficulty getting parts. Mind you...they are toyotas...reliable. So we will see what comes first

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
The 120hp and 150lb-ft isn't that far away from the 22RE. Are you sure you want to go through all the trouble? I always though the 'RE had some respectable low-end torque.

I've got an 800 lb pop up camper on the back, am over-geared with 31" tires, and used to hitch on the pickup bed trailer to carry compost and mulch (I just sold the trailer). I still end up lugging the 'RE at low revs most of the time and just do some downshifting for the hills.

I'm sure you could tweak the 22re a little to the power numbers that you want. You could also run some smaller-diameter tires to help crank you over the hills.

I know it's slow by today's standards, but today's standards are just ridiculous, IMHO. I think the 22re's a well-mannered little grunter--I'm really happy with it.

Have you considered a 22R-TE? That had 135hp and 173 ft/lbs (wow, I didn't realize they had that much torque).

Last edited:

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Well. The difference is price. I would love to find a nice 1kz-t. Or a 3l-t it's a lot of initial finances to get one of those. That would be my first choice believe me. Volkswagen diesels are more available and easier to get parts for. Because of their availability they are much more tunable as well. Would be easy for me to find a 1.6 vw diesel and tune up the injectors, pump and turbo to get 120 hp and around 150 ftlbs of torque. Or more even. Buying a Toyota diesel I would have difficulty getting parts. Mind you...they are toyotas...reliable. So we will see what comes first

Or you could get a Toyota gas 3RZ from the US with 150hp and 170tq. Load your vehicle with camping gear and tow a trailer, perhaps with mods to the truck that include armor, larger tires, different suspension... well you're in the same disappointing boat you started in. My point being is you aren't really improving your original condition of a lack of power.

I'm just not following your logic... why settle for less power and torque just for the sake of claiming to have a diesel power-plant? I do agree with your premise for selecting a diesel for more torque, etc. I haven't searched but I suspect you have better chances of finding a Toyota, 2L, 3L, 1KZ, or 1KD are far superior than ours in the US. Like you say, reliability is superior with these engines and parts aren't that terribly difficult to come by, if you're patient.

Expedition Leader
Cummins Diesel, 4bt and 6bt....Why or why not.

Tall and heavy, for a hilux or 4Skinner anyway. But don't forget the Cummins B3.3, which looks like an excellent option to me for anything up to and including a 40-series Land Cruiser. One guy here on the Portal even put one in his 60.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
One guy here on the Portal even put one in his 60.

Link in post #19 above ^.

Anyway, I agree with your observation about the B3.3 but subsequent dialog on fitting it in other vehicles has been nil despite additional requests for information. I suspect because its a relatively new engine and it just hasn't been done before. I'd hate to be the test case...

There are other licensing/certification issues for those of us who live in smog testing states/counties in the US who'd like to transplant a diesel power-plant. Depending on your location that could just make the project a subject for the "too hard box."

1stgenoverland

Adventurer
B3.3 wow that's cool! Will be researching that one. As of now...looking more deeply into Toyota diesel but enjoying the 22re. I'm allowing the bank funds to increase. It's becoming more plausible.

Mattm94

Observer
When Toyota sticks that twin turbo diesel from the 200 series in a new Taco they'll have my attention. Until then...

Diesel swaps are mostly a novelty/boutique item, the cost of the swap is almost NEVER regained in a lifetime, and I've yet to see one in person that retained the original fit, feel, function, and reliability of the engine that came in the vehicle. Logic rarely enters into the decision to swap in a diesel. Mental masturbation and self persuasion about the supposed benefits are a slippery slope. I can buy 1000 gallons of premium unleaded and drive over 20000 miles for less than the cost of doing a swap myself and not paying myself anything for the value of my time...

Swaps of engines not sold or serviced in the USA have NO business on a vehicle you have to rely on in the back country of North America, any more than a North American market gasser has any business in the Sahara. If you're truly venturing into parts unknown and less travelled, you want RELIABILITY. Stick with something you can get parts for ANYWHERE. Even a cheap part from a mom and pop auto parts place in BFE can get you home.

JMHO.

1stgenoverland

Adventurer
When Toyota sticks that twin turbo diesel from the 200 series in a new Taco they'll have my attention. Until then...

Diesel swaps are mostly a novelty/boutique item, the cost of the swap is almost NEVER regained in a lifetime, and I've yet to see one in person that retained the original fit, feel, function, and reliability of the engine that came in the vehicle. Logic rarely enters into the decision to swap in a diesel. Mental masturbation and self persuasion about the supposed benefits are a slippery slope. I can buy 1000 gallons of premium unleaded and drive over 20000 miles for less than the cost of doing a swap myself and not paying myself anything for the value of my time...

Swaps of engines not sold or serviced in the USA have NO business on a vehicle you have to rely on in the back country of North America, any more than a North American market gasser has any business in the Sahara. If you're truly venturing into parts unknown and less travelled, you want RELIABILITY. Stick with something you can get parts for ANYWHERE. Even a cheap part from a mom and pop auto parts place in BFE can get you home.

JMHO.

Two issues I need to address. First. By using Toyota diesel parts, you can get pieces from most Toyota dealers with a little search. Being in Canada makes a huge difference as well. Lots of imports, lots of parts. British Columbia imparticular has an excessive amount of imports. For me a diesel swap is not so much a novelty. It's a utilitarian venture to make the most out of my truck for it to be the best it can be. Now issue two. You have a very ignorant world view when it come to north America gassers. Unfortunately that garbage has infiltrated the rest of the world like a bad disease. so repairing a ford in the Sahara probably isn't very difficult at all.

Diesels are proven to be more reliably sound than a gas engine. So anybody going into the back country of Canada would rather a diesel for that reason. Maybe not so in the USA. But that's a matter of opinion. I see lots of Americans on this site doing diesel swaps and can't complain about there choice. Just pick the right engine. Cummins makes small diesels that are perfect for diesel swaps, and there are a plethora of other brands that are serviceable in the USA as well.

For the record. Toyota is smart enough not to put a twin turbo v8 diesel in a Tacoma. That's over kill for the size of the truck. But I could see some power hungry American wanting something like that so they could blow the doors of there neighbour. Realistically the Tacoma will get the perfectly sized d4d 4 cylinder diesel.

Last edited:

Danimal

Adventurer
Two issues I need to address. First. By using Toyota diesel parts, you can get pieces from most Toyota dealers with a little search. Being in Canada makes a huge difference as well. Lots of imports, lots of parts. British Columbia imparticular has an excessive amount of imports. For me a diesel swap is not so much a novelty. It's a utilitarian venture to make the most out of my truck for it to be the best it can be. Now issue two. You have a very ignorant world view when it come to north America gassers. Unfortunately that garbage has infiltrated the rest of the world like a bad disease. so repairing a ford in the Sahara probably isn't very difficult at all.

Diesels are proven to be more reliably sound than a gas engine. So anybody going into the back country of Canada would rather a diesel for that reason. Maybe not so in the USA. But that's a matter of opinion. I see lots of Americans on this site doing diesel swaps and can't complain about there choice. Just pick the right engine. Cummins makes small diesels that are perfect for diesel swaps, and there are a plethora of other brands that are serviceable in the USA as well.

For the record. Toyota is smart enough not to put a twin turbo v8 diesel in a Tacoma. That's over kill for the size of the truck. But I could see some power hungry American wanting something like that so they could blow the doors of there neighbour. Realistically the Tacoma will get the perfectly sized d4d 4 cylinder diesel.

I disagree with two very important things in your post:

1. Diesel being "proven" more reliable than petrol engines. That statement is FAR too broad. And hell, I am an engineer for a major U.S. diesel manufacturer...
2. Cummins makes small diesels perfect for swaps. Their current offering of small diesels are not particularly well suited for light duty use in a passenger vehicle, in my opinion.

Dan

1stgenoverland

Adventurer
I disagree with two very important things in your post:

1. Diesel being "proven" more reliable than petrol engines. That statement is FAR too broad. And hell, I am an engineer for a major U.S. diesel manufacturer...
2. Cummins makes small diesels perfect for swaps. Their current offering of small diesels are not particularly well suited for light duty use in a passenger vehicle, in my opinion.

Dan

For number one. Maybe I was a little to broad about diesels being more reliable. Howerver when I think of reliable diesels I don't think of anything made in america thats for sure. Does that narrow it down enough for you Mr Diesel Engineer.
For number two. There current offerings of small diesels may not be particularly well suited for light duty passenger vehicles but for offroaders and anything running mostly on dirt roads the cummins B3.3 would be impeccable. There is a fellow on here who put one in his 60 series land cruiser and just loves it.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
My buddy has a Supra motor in his 85 4Runner. I was trying to recall the engine model but can't seem to. It has about 200hp, revs to 5k rpms all day long and gets awesome mileage. On a trip last week, the 06 Jeep we traveled with was on a 1/4 tank after a day of wheeling, the 4Runner was above 2/3rds, both with stock fuel tanks. I am guessing he is above 20mpg in the 4Runner with the Supra motor. Considering it is a dirt cheap engine, runs awesome, has plenty of power and gets great mileage....I see no reason to go diesel over something like this.

my 2 cents

esh

Explorer
I am doing an OM617 in a 2nd gen pickup. The Benz is a good combination of cruising power and torque. Parts are available everywhere, including the US and it is a common engine. I would love to do a 1PZ(-T) or a newer common rail Toyota 4 cyl with all the great electronic control, but it gets expensive fast. I have done a 1HZ and turbo in the FJ62, so my expectations are realistic.. an HZ into a 2nd gen pickup is just too much. Lots of complete 300 sedans going for 1500-2500, and the adaptation to a Toyota drivetrain has been worked out. It is probably one of the cheapest and still enjoyable ways to live with a diesel as the Benz motors tend to rattle less like a tractor compared to others motors in that economy swap class of diesels.

Ultimately it depends on what you want. I couldn't find a 3RZ at the price point the Mercedes can be had for (with a bonus body to sell off). No matter what you do, you still have to do about 1000 in small bits and whatever it will run to adapt to a drivetrain.

Would love to do a twin turbo 1VD-FTE one day. :D

I really just like the simplicity of diesels over gas. The HZ has 4 wires operating it. Like that Toyota workhorse (longest run production diesel motor Toyota has ever made), the Benz is used all over the world in harsh conditions, like bush taxi in Africa. That gets points in my book, because I tend to use the trucks in harder environments and far from any population.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl