Pre 1985 toyota SFA diesel Swaps

blakeape

Adventurer
I'm bumping this thread back to the top to hopefully re-spark some interest and debate. I too want to build a diesel Toyota. I recently found a truck that I sold on Craig's List in 2009 and bought it back. It's a 1990 2wd Toyota extended cab with a bad 22re head gasket. I love this truck and affectionately call her "white lightening". I also own a 1997 Dodge Ram 2500 with a Cummins on 37's that I run a 2 tank, heated veggie oil system on. I filled it last night with diesel for the first time in 3800 miles after a trip to the King of the Hammers race in California. 29 gallons of diesel over 3800 miles is 131 mpg (plus a lot of basically free veggie oil). That was mostly towing in a truck, trailer, wheeling rig combo of about 17,000 lbs. I love my Dodge and am not selling it, but don't really want to drive a 7500 truck on really expensive tires every where I go. I would love to SAS and diesel swap ole' White Lightning and build an approximately 25mpg truck that can also run veggie oil. I like the OM617's and am intrigued by the Isuzu 4bdt series also.
I have also considered taking my wife on a vacation to Australia or New Zealand in a year or 2 and just buying a 4 door factory diesel Toyota 4x4 and legally importing it. In 2015 a 1990 with a 2.8 diesel would be legal with the 25 year old import rule.
Please keep the discussion going.
Thanks
Jake
Here's a pic of White Lightening and my Cummins doing what she does!
P5230126_zpsb9fee4d7.jpg
IMG_0921_zps598be176.jpg

jds0912

Adventurer
I'm bumping this thread back to the top to hopefully re-spark some interest and debate. I too want to build a diesel Toyota. I recently found a truck that I sold on Craig's List in 2009 and bought it back. It's a 1990 2wd Toyota extended cab with a bad 22re head gasket. I love this truck and affectionately call her "white lightening". I also own a 1997 Dodge Ram 2500 with a Cummins on 37's that I run a 2 tank, heated veggie oil system on. I filled it last night with diesel for the first time in 3800 miles after a trip to the King of the Hammers race in California. 29 gallons of diesel over 3800 miles is 131 mpg (plus a lot of basically free veggie oil). That was mostly towing in a truck, trailer, wheeling rig combo of about 17,000 lbs. I love my Dodge and am not selling it, but don't really want to drive a 7500 truck on really expensive tires every where I go. I would love to SAS and diesel swap ole' White Lightning and build an approximately 25mpg truck that can also run veggie oil. I like the OM617's and am intrigued by the Isuzu 4bdt series also.
I have also considered taking my wife on a vacation to Australia or New Zealand in a year or 2 and just buying a 4 door factory diesel Toyota 4x4 and legally importing it. In 2015 a 1990 with a 2.8 diesel would be legal with the 25 year old import rule.
Please keep the discussion going.
Thanks
Jake
Here's a pic of White Lightening and my Cummins doing what she does!
View attachment 147333

Sorry no input, but JESUS that taco is huge! what are those 44's? Build thread?

upcountry

Explorer
I know diesel is trendy right now, but I guess I just really dont understand the need to do a swap to diesel?

I have never had a dislike (well, lets say I didnt hate) of any of the powerplants Toyota put in my various Toyota vehicles over the years.

But, if you looking for something different, and your into spending time wrenching instead of driving, I can understand.

I just dont see that anyone "needs" to do these swaps. Just rebuild the factory powerplant and calll it good. Way less head scratching that way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl