Pre birth of a camper - No laughing!

docka

Adventurer
Full marks ianc, the vehicle looks amazing!
Have you totted it all up yet or daresn't ya?
Best of luck with your inaugural trip.

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
Full marks ianc, the vehicle looks amazing!
Have you totted it all up yet or daresn't ya?
Best of luck with your inaugural trip.

Right on the budget once I leave all of the stuff out that was not included in the original budget. Easy when you know how to do numbers......

All going well on first trip.

Thanks for all the positive comments.

Last edited:

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
We spent the week around the west of Ireland. Findings:
- Fuel consumption was frightening at about 24L/100km. The van wouldn't hold 90kph on the flat either. So I was foot to the floor. I'm hoping there is something wrong. Turbo leak or the like.
- Box is leaking more than I realised. Back to the box maker to get the edge cappings redone.
- The tank gauges (CBE one) are not reading for the grey (incorrectly at 100%) and black (incorrectly at0%) water tanks. Some diagnosis needed.
- I connected the bog up to the hot water supply by accident. Easy fix, but made for interesting flushing!

The rest worked out really well

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
I had the motor checked and the feedback is that it's in rude health but just underpowered. One injector had a historic error on it and there was a very slight drop in turbo boost - Both were addressed. I was also told that the poor consumption was down to me staying in 5th and flooring the throttle!

The guy also said that with the load (I'm at 6000kg), the frontal area and the higher ratio due to the wheel change (4cm radius increase), 4th gear would be the norm to use and only use 5th when on the flat or better.

The bigger wheels are giving me 95kph at 1975rpm while the speedo is showing 90kph (its limited to 90).

Out of curiosity - how does this compare to other's experiences?

I'm now looking at remap options.

Thanks

Ian

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Just read this end to end... fantastic build, love the details and the layout. That is a lot of stuff in that space and it doesn't look crowded.

Your post about the folding steps, and more specifically the ones from Victoria BC Canada...that is about 1 KM away from my house and about 1 block from my Datacenter. lol Small world indeed. Subscribed.

I had the motor checked and the feedback is that it's in rude health but just underpowered. One injector had a historic error on it and there was a very slight drop in turbo boost - Both were addressed. I was also told that the poor consumption was down to me staying in 5th and flooring the throttle!

The guy also said that with the load (I'm at 6000kg), the frontal area and the higher ratio due to the wheel change (4cm radius increase), 4th gear would be the norm to use and only use 5th when on the flat or better.

The bigger wheels are giving me 95kph at 1975rpm while the speedo is showing 90kph (its limited to 90).

Out of curiosity - how does this compare to other's experiences?

I'm now looking at remap options.

Thanks

Ian

My U500 with a 906LA:
http://www.unicat.net/en/info/TC49compact.php

Does about 26-28L/100km. It probably has less frontal area than you but weighs twice as much: about 12000kg.
If you intend to travel up to 95kph then 1975 rpm is perfect, it is only a 2200 rpm engine. Transplanting a 906LA could be difficult due to the additional length. On the other hand a 924LA is the same size but puts out up to 218hp and 810 N-m.
Does your engine struggle to get up to 95ph in 5th?
At some point I may have my ECU remapped to advance timing. The North American version is timed at 14 deg BTDC but the Euro versions are 18-19deg BTDC which gives better economy (also more NOx).
Also - your 285s are 14% taller than 215/75R17.5s. If you have not taken that into account in your odometer readings then your consumption is about 20.6L/100km - somewhat better.
By the way, if you can't tilt your cab how can possibly contemplate an engine swap??

Charlie

Last edited:

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
Engine swap would be too extreme for me I think.

I calculated the L/100km via the satnav - so the wheel diameters didn't come into it.

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
I too just found and read all the thread, having done two similar builds in the past I can really appreciate the work involved. Well done.

andylod

Tea Drinker :-)
Ian

My van is lighter at 4500kgs and my gearing is slightly higher (62mph at 1950rpm) .... When i was towing my 3.5ton trailer (8 ton train weight) i had a similar problem getting out of 4th gear ..... now with the engine remap it pulls it brilliantly, is more economical and is so much more relaxing to drive .... dont hesitate it will transform you truck :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy