Prices on EP Classified seem to be HIGH!

Oscar Mike Gulf Yankee

Can anyone explain this?

1668018831102.png

Asking $25,000.00 a 1997 with 180,000+ miles. 4x4

1668018831102.png

OR THIS:

1668020020062.png

2008, 4x4, almost 100,000 less mile for $4,999.00 more asking ($29,999.99) ON EBAY

2008 Ford E-Series Van E350 | eBay

Both are empty in the rear.

Seems like a no brainer, 100,000 miles, 11 years newer, nicer interior, Q-4x4, for $4,999 difference.

Are prices higher just because of EP?

Or, are the Authors posting vehicles for sale not paying attention to what they find?

86scotty

Cynic
Econolines are a mixed bag. It's probably the only vehicle popular on this forum besides Jeeps I follow the value of and they are all over the place for a few reasons. The biggest reason is that they aren't made anymore. Past that there was a huge cut-off for some around 2003 when they stopped making the 7.3l diesel. Some people will still ******** gold bricks for those things for some reason.

Going down the list past availability you get in to rust and then further down for most people, oddly, is miles. I would buy a 200k mile E-series in a heartbeat if it wasn't rusty and it fit my criteria. I couldn't say that about many other vehicles. Not even old simple Toyotas.

Furthermore, and sorry for the novel, they are the quintessential van spurring #vanlife before the Sprinter took over and many people have illusions of grandeur over their worth.

None of this has anything to do with Expedition Portal IMO.

86scotty

Cynic
The second van is a good value and should sell quickly (low miles, reliable Quigley, V10, newer body, barn side door, power-optioned cab). The first......illusions of grandeur.

ExpoMike

I would totally go after the second van but ALL "van life" vans seem to be over prices still, thanks to COVID pricing. 4x4 converted ones even more.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
COVID and Vanlife made the van aspect of this expensive, Diesel Brothers made the 7.3 Aspect of this expensive. Prior to both, this would be a 8k van all day.
Pre Covid everyone looking for a truck wanted the 7.3
During Covid, everyone wanted a van.
Prices are coming down but the people that wanted both fads during Covid, paid a price for it. Now that Van Life is decreasing and people have to go back to work, they want what they paid for it, plus the extra for whatever materials they added.

If this wasn't the 7.3 it would be 10k.

In my humble opinion.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Determine the full boat Kelly Blue Book retail for your vehicle. Describe in detail all the crap you added to the vehicle including the full retail price of all that crap prominently listed in your for sale ad. Add the two inflated numbers together. Multiply that number by 1.25 to give yourself 25% of the inflated value to haggle with. Post with pictures of the vehicle listed for sale on the Portal with your Bargain Price!

1st month it does not sell reduce the price. Second month it does not sell reduce the price. Third month it does not sell reduce the price. Fourth month it does not sell reduce the price. Fifth month it does not sell reduce the price. Sixth month it has not sold so you piss and moan about how cheap people are on the Portal for not buying this great vehicle the seller is offering at a Bargain Price!

You ultimately forget about your BS for sale ad for your vehicle you posted on the Portal many months ago. Then in the 10th month after listing your vehicle for sale that has still not sold and somebody brings back from the dead your vehicle for sale ad and posts "Is This Vehicle Still For Sale"?

Welcome to the Vehicle Classifieds on the Portal in 2022.

Last edited:

Explorerinil

Observer
Take full boat Kelly Blue Book retail for your vehicle. Describe in detail all the crap you added to the vehicle including the full retail price of all that crap. Add the two together. Multiply by 1.25 to give yourself 25% to haggle with. Post with pictures of the vehicle for sale on the Portal with your Bargain Price!

1st month it does not sell reduce the price. Second month it does not sell reduce the price. Third month it does not sell reduce the price. Fourth month it does not sell reduce the price. Fifth month it has not sold so you piss and moan about how cheap people are on the Portal for not buying this great vehicle the seller is offering at a Bargain Price!

You ultimately forget about your BS for sale ad for your vehicle you posted months ago. Then in the 10th month after listing your vehicle that has still not sold and somebody brings back from the dead your vehicle for sale ad and posts "Is This Vehicle Still For Sale"?

Welcome to selling on the Portal in 2022.
Valid points! On another note, I got a friend that’s a realtor. He told me that if a home doesn’t sell for “awhile“, he will raise the prices slightly and it will sell. I find that kinda odd.

plumber mike

Adventurer
If thousands of others all think it’s absurd, it really doesn’t matter. They only need one buyer.
And what do they have to lose by trying?

Oscar Mike Gulf Yankee

1668085767061.png

$27,900.00 a 2007, 73,450 miles, bidding ended, and this was a used car dealer! This shows that 1997 at $25,000 really being over priced.

I've never seen a vehicle listed on Portal that I thought was a good deal, all have been overpriced, IMO.

Seems one reason might be because of the overlanding enthusiasts living here on EP. But, you'd think if anyone had a good idea of market value of an "overlanding" vehicle it would be enthusiasts on EP!

Seems the EP contributors who introduce these listings are simply pulling examples out of the blue and adding bling, some have given comparable sales or asking prices that were also higher than what would be considered prudent and marketable.

Unless a vehicle has a "collector" value, all vehicles are depreciating assets.

As pointed out above, adding retail prices of off road bling added to a vehicle, like Baja driving lights, isn't a valid "value add", one exception that comes close would be new tires, but not at the retail price.

As mentioned, you can ask whatever you want for a vehicle, looking for suckers isn't really a good faith offering in the market.

I think a lot of vehicles here are overpriced, but there is the occasional good deal to be found. The flip side is that you're mostly dealing with people who know and care about vehicles. Buying off Craigslist or Facebook can be a total crapshoot, and most sellers can't tell you maintenance history or even basic details about the vehicles they're selling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle