Project “Polar Bear”: 1989 V2500 Suburban

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Larry, What bumper are you running on the back?

It just a factory GM step bumper from a ’73-’87 truck. The rear frame sections are different between trucks and Suburban’s so I had to make my own bumper brackets. Step bumpers don’t appeal to everyone but I am happy with the way it turned out.

WhiteEvo

Observer
It just a factory GM step bumper from a '73-'87 truck. The rear frame sections are different between trucks and Suburban's so I had to make my own bumper brackets. Step bumpers don't appeal to everyone but I am happy with the way it turned out.

Looks great! I may go that route.

WhiteEvo

Observer
It just a factory GM step bumper from a '73-'87 truck. The rear frame sections are different between trucks and Suburban's so I had to make my own bumper brackets. Step bumpers don't appeal to everyone but I am happy with the way it turned out.

Larry, do you happen to have any pics of the rear bumper brackets that you made?
Thanks!

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Larry, do you happen to have any pics of the rear bumper brackets that you made?
Thanks!

Here you go. I made a template out of cardboard then transferred it to flat plate steel. No holes were drilled into the frame or bumper, just used existing holes in both then lengthened the side brackets about an inch.

11737224344_4a577bc79b_c.jpg

11737107973_826e864270_c.jpg

NMC_EXP

Explorer
Larry

First, I am impressed with your Suburban. Enough so that I have been scouting CL. Should I come up with one, there will be an '86 M1009 CUCV on the market. The CUCV has been my DD for a few years now. Nice vehicle but tough for two tall people to sleep in the back and hauling a sheet of plywood is out of the question (those are the justifications I plan to use with the bookeeper).

Secondly, when I was a kid back in the 60's my family lived in Littleton. Been away a long time but it looks like later this year I'll be moving to Canon City so we'll sort of be neighbors.

Maybe we can link up sometime.

Regards

Jim

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Larry

First, I am impressed with your Suburban. Enough so that I have been scouting CL. Should I come up with one, there will be an '86 M1009 CUCV on the market. The CUCV has been my DD for a few years now. Nice vehicle but tough for two tall people to sleep in the back and hauling a sheet of plywood is out of the question (those are the justifications I plan to use with the bookeeper).

Secondly, when I was a kid back in the 60's my family lived in Littleton. Been away a long time but it looks like later this year I'll be moving to Canon City so we'll sort of be neighbors.

Maybe we can link up sometime.

Regards

Jim

Thanks Jim! If you’re moving to the area I can keep my eyes out for a Burb for ya. If I had an extra Burb laying around I’d do some trading with you for that M1009 as I’ve always wanted one of those. Come to think if it, it seems there was a Burb of this generation in Canon City a while back for not much money that looked like it wouldn’t be hard to bring it up to standards. It had a nice body, decent interior, solid body but the paint was baked. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for it for you.

That is neat we’ll have another member close by. Carlyle with the sweet RAM 5500 with the Alaskan camper lives in Canon as well.

Drop me a note once you get nestled in. Carlyle and I have been trying to carve out time in our schedules to meet for the past two years. Maybe we could all meet up sometime.

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
There's been a couple Burbs roaming or parked in Canon. Heck we even had a really Clean 91 1/2 ton burb come through the dealership I work at there in town a few months back. I'll keep an eye out too.

Hi Larry

Thanks!

Well, if it is any consolation, I know another guy from another forum that went from a TH400/32 spline 205 in a ’88 crew cab 4x4 to a NV4500/205 (reused his OEM tcase) and he did NOT have to rework the driveshafts at all. With yours already having a TH400 means the tcase behind your TH400 would already be the right 32 spline to mate to a NV4500. Aside from the trans tunnel work all you would need to do is install the pedals, clutch master and slave, which are not difficult. Half the battle is finding a ’85-’91 square body style hydraulic “pedal box” as they call it where you get the clutch pedal and brake pedal in one assembly. Luckily, my burb already had the hydro clutch pedals as OEM equipment. This assembly also has the rods for the hydraulic master cylinder mount. I went through that swapperoo on my ’78 K10.

Go for it! Life is too short to live with a gas hog automatic trans, and one without overdrive no less.

If you are seriously considering this I know a local salvage yard with at least 4 more ’85-’91 trucks with hydro pedals in them. Lemme know and I can PM you their phone number.

Hello Larry, I have been following your posts very closely and you have the same exact Suburban that I have except for the hydro clutch pedal setup, I'm dropping my TH400 and install a NV4500, the problem is that I am having a hell of a time trying to
find a hydro clutch pedal assembly here in Montana. Could you please help I noticed in this post you might know where some are. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Todd

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Hello Larry, I have been following your posts very closely and you have the same exact Suburban that I have except for the hydro clutch pedal setup, I'm dropping my TH400 and install a NV4500, the problem is that I am having a hell of a time trying to
find a hydro clutch pedal assembly here in Montana. Could you please help I noticed in this post you might know where some are. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Todd

Hello Todd,

I saw a thread somewhere else where you were looking for hydro pedals. Those pedals are hard to find these days. Luckily my Burb was a factory manual and already had them but I was in your boat a few years ago when I did the NV4500 in my K10.

There is a yard near me in Canon City that I know has at least 2 or 3 trucks with hydro pedal boxes still in them. I believe one even has hydroboost brakes too with the correct brake pedal if you are looking to do hydroboost while you are at it. The problem is one of the yard owner's died a few months ago and the other brother closed the yard on 12-31-13. There are probably a thousand or more old and late model trucks just sitting waiting their fate. Either someone will buy the yard and reopen it or the current owners will bring in a portable crusher and start liquidating before long. That would be horrible news as this yard is stuffed with more trucks than any other yard I know of in CO. Trucks from the 50's through current model.

It's been killing me with this yard being closed. I'm doing a manual to auto swap on a '93 GMT400 and have been combing the yards for parts which has been a huge hassle going from yard to yard for bits and pieces. What you going through with pedals is what I went through for several weeks trying to find an '88 to '94 tilt automatic steering column. The yard in Canon was always a one stop shop and had everything! With them closing is tearing the ******** out of me.

I always keep my eye out for squares with hydro pedals while I am out as one of my buddies needs a set for a '75 Jimmy too. I'll keep you posted if Canyon Truck in Canon City reopens or if I find a set on my journeys.

You might want to look at CL in Alaska (of all places) as there are a lot of square body crew cabs up there that ran sticks. Good chance to find hydo pedals there.

Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven

Members online