Project “Polar Bear”: 1989 V2500 Suburban

Redneckwheeler

unbelievably nice interior and body for the price. Great find, man! Putting an 8.1 engine is going to be super strong (very bad gas milage, though). All the stuff you say is wrong with it is very easy to replace/fix. Should be an awesome truck.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
unbelievably nice interior and body for the price. Great find, man! Putting an 8.1 engine is going to be super strong (very bad gas milage, though). All the stuff you say is wrong with it is very easy to replace/fix. Should be an awesome truck.

Thanks!

You’d be surprised….there is a big misconception that a large engines gets worse fuel economy compared to a small engine. It all depends on who is driving! LOL

I’m actually on the first full tank where I am taking tank to tank MPG readings and I can tell already it is doing much better on fuel with the big 8.1L over the little wheezy TBI 5.7L. The poor little 5.7L had to work its tail off to propel this tank whereas the 8.1L pretty much just lugs around at low RPM’s like no big deal. I’ll have the complete tank to tank MPG figure in about another 2 weeks once I run this thing dry. I’ve already done a decent 100 mile round trip towing a K5 on a trailer and been running it all over town for over a week where it is still on ¾ tank. Sure, I could drive it like a weed whacker and blow the fuel economy down to single digits but driving it civilly can easily turn 12 to 13 MPG if not a bit more. We’ll see! The best tank I ever got with the 5.7L was only 11 MPG. Even if it come out to be 10 or 11 on this first full tank I still have 3 times the power! LOL

Colorado_Outback

Adventurer
Even if it come out to be 10 or 11 on this first full tank I still have 3 times the power! LOL

I wasn't too concerned about fuel economy when I started the 8.1 swap but after riding in the Polar Bear yesterday I'm not worried about it at all.
The power and torque more then makes up for it! Especially when you consider over all cost and reliability.

I cant even describe how beastly the 8.1 with the Howell tune is, its going to make my tiny tires spin like crazy haha.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Larry,

do you have any info on the Workhorse 8.1 harness? is there a part # for that setup? I'm debating a swap into a 90 3500 silverado tool truck with a 4 speed.

thanks

Yes, but a Workhorse harness would not do an engine swapper any good as cost of an OEM harness would be unrealistic for any project plus you would end up chopping out 50% of the unneeded circuits from the harness. A person would be much better off buying a $600 high quality stand-a-lone harness from a supplier like Howell Engine Development for a much easier, cleaner and more economical swap.

A person really needs to do a lot of research before ordering a Howell Harness to determine what exactly is needed to be wired in (auto trans, VSS, electronic throttle or not, EGR or not, ECM controlled alternator or not, ECM controlled starter motor, A/C…..blah, blah, blah). Lots of options that need to be figured out before placing an order. I order mine very basic as I do not like the ECM to control anything other than the engine. The starter motor, A/C, alternator, gauges, etc. are wired just like they were originally plus I am running manual transmissions and cable driven speedos where VSS is not needed.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Yes, but a Workhorse harness would not do an engine swapper any good as cost of an OEM harness would be unrealistic for any project plus you would end up chopping out 50% of the unneeded circuits from the harness. A person would be much better off buying a $600 high quality stand-a-lone harness from a supplier like Howell Engine Development for a much easier, cleaner and more economical swap.

A person really needs to do a lot of research before ordering a Howell Harness to determine what exactly is needed to be wired in (auto trans, VSS, electronic throttle or not, EGR or not, ECM controlled alternator or not, ECM controlled starter motor, A/C…..blah, blah, blah). Lots of options that need to be figured out before placing an order. I order mine very basic as I do not like the ECM to control anything other than the engine. The starter motor, A/C, alternator, gauges, etc. are wired just like they were originally plus I am running manual transmissions and cable driven speedos where VSS is not needed.

Seriously Larry you got to be the most knowledgeable guy on GM vehicles! Cool that you are always ready to help out here on the forum!:wings:

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
So everybody is always asking about fuel economy on these 8.1L’s…..we’ll here is the first full tank with the stock cam report. It took a while to run a full tank through it as it was down for several weeks waiting on a reman NV4500.

367 miles / 34.991 gallons to fill it back up today (full to very top of the neck where it spills out) = 10.4888 MPG.

Again, the best tank I ever got with the TBI 5.7L was 11.2 or something like that. This first tank was a mixture of everything except off-road. I towed this K5 West to Canon City (~50 miles) which is all up hill in the wind (the wind always blows from West to East on the Hwy 50 corridor), lots of highway driving from the outskirts of town into town, probably more hot-rodding that I should have done but it got ********** footed around as well. It is hard to drive something like this without whipping on it once and a while as it bring such a big smile on my face to ride in a big vehicle that flat hauls ***.

With that, I’m pretty happy with 10.5 MPG as I know it will only be better on long distance trips driven consistently. Can’t beat 3 times the power for a .5 MPG penalty. And the other reality is, the guys running high dollar late model fully emissionized diesel trucks are barely getting 13 to 14 MPG on a good day. I consider the engine swap (and especially the move back to a stock cam) a win!
24281491831_abd2de5cb8_c.jpg

Now I have some little penny annie things (add second battery, isolator, winch bumper & winch) to get done to prep it for the trip to Overland Expo then our annual desert trip in June. The Polar Bear and K10 both are going on Desert Trip 2016. The purpose of taking the Burb to OX16 is a shakedown long test drive before it goes on the desert trip. Should be fun to see how they do side by side

njtacoma

Explorer
So everybody is always asking about fuel economy on these 8.1L’s….367 miles / 34.991 gallons to fill it back up today (full to very top of the neck where it spills out) = 10.4888 MPG.

Again, the best tank I ever got with the TBI 5.7L was 11.2 or something like that.
With that, I’m pretty happy with 10.5 MPG as I know it will only be better on long distance trips driven consistently. Can’t beat 3 times the power for a .5 MPG penalty.

Wow, That makes me rethink those 2000-2005 suburbans with the 8.1L engine! I keep looking at 6.0's thinking I'm going to get better mileage, but maybe it isn't enough to care about...

Of course, I look at the 97-99 suburbans with the 5.7 as well, maybe a 7.4 won't be that bad.

I really like this build! Good Looking!

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Who is going to drive the Suburban and where is the desert trip this year?

A work buddy and his wife are flying out to join us from Chicago where he will be piloting the Suburban for the week. Terence was actually my copilot on our first Desert Trip in 2009. Not worried about his driving skills as he is South African with military experience and also did extensive off-road validation for GM South Africa (Delta Motors). He already knows if we get into any spots where he doesn’t feel comfortable I’ll drive it. Should be a great time.

Wow, That makes me rethink those 2000-2005 suburbans with the 8.1L engine! I keep looking at 6.0's thinking I'm going to get better mileage, but maybe it isn't enough to care about...

Of course, I look at the 97-99 suburbans with the 5.7 as well, maybe a 7.4 won't be that bad.

I really like this build! Good Looking!

Thanks! Yeah, those 2000-2006 are the last of the good Suburban’s...GM might as well killed off the Burb in 2007 and especially in 2014. The new ones are dead to me. I’d overlook the 6.0Ls for 8.1L for the engine as well as the better rear axle. 6.0L GMT800 Burbs only had the 9.5” semi float rear axle. All big block Burbs and Avalanches got the 10.5 full-floater. The older GMT400 Burbs were a better rig all the way around over the GMT800. The L29 454 isn’t quite an 8.1L but it is the next best thing. L31 5.7L’s aren’t quite a 6.0L either but the body, electrical and overall vehicle I feel are more robust than the GMT800’s. Problem is finding a nice clean ole 400 rig that isn't totally haggered out

njtacoma

Explorer
My ideal would be a '99 2500 with a bad trans, so I could put a 5 speed into it regardless of engine...

I am finally serious about looking, thought I wanted a van, but want 4wd more (swaps are expensive) so Suburban it is.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
My ideal would be a '99 2500 with a bad trans, so I could put a 5 speed into it regardless of engine...

I am finally serious about looking, thought I wanted a van, but want 4wd more (swaps are expensive) so Suburban it is.

That is a good plan!

ChevyPit

Observer
That is a totally cool suburban, with the 8.1 you have enough power. I've never had an 8.1 but keep hearing that it's a big powerfull/reliable engine, and not toooo bad on mpg.
I have a 97 (350, 4X4, 3.73, and 285/75r16) and gets me around 14 mpg. Also have a 98 (454, 4X4, 4.10 and 285/75r16) and gets me 12 mpg. Both normal driving.

justcuz

Explorer
A work buddy and his wife are flying out to join us from Chicago where he will be piloting the Suburban for the week. Terence was actually my copilot on our first Desert Trip in 2009. Not worried about his driving skills as he is South African with military experience and also did extensive off-road validation for GM South Africa (Delta Motors). He already knows if we get into any spots where he doesn't feel comfortable I'll drive it. Should be a great time.

Thanks! Yeah, those 2000-2006 are the last of the good Suburban's...GM might as well killed off the Burb in 2007 and especially in 2014. The new ones are dead to me. I'd overlook the 6.0Ls for 8.1L for the engine as well as the better rear axle. 6.0L GMT800 Burbs only had the 9.5” semi float rear axle. All big block Burbs and Avalanches got the 10.5 full-floater. The older GMT400 Burbs were a better rig all the way around over the GMT800. The L29 454 isn't quite an 8.1L but it is the next best thing. L31 5.7L's aren't quite a 6.0L either but the body, electrical and overall vehicle I feel are more robust than the GMT800's. Problem is finding a nice clean ole 400 rig that isn't totally haggered out

Sounds like your friend is very skilled and the 241 t-case reduction should make it a very stable platform.
I suspect the crawl ratio of the Suburban is actually better than the truck correct?

What criteria is your assessment of the GMT400's vs the GMT800's based on? I'm interested in your professional assessment of both models. Do you feel the bodies were thinner and the wiring smaller or more complicated? I think the 800's frames were stronger since they are completely boxed.
I have both a 1993 and a 2000 K1500's.
The 1993 feels heavier and more solid on the road, but I like the 5.3 engine performance and love the 4 wheel disc brakes.
Chevy really got the brakes right on the GMT800 vehicles, I have owned mine for over 10 years and just now am I going to install new brakes.
Our 1999 was horrible on front brakes, something in GM's brake setup was horribly wrong, I knew others with the same problems. I suspect the rear wheel cylinders were too small or the proportioning valve was wrong. It would go through front brakes every 30 to 40 thousand miles.
My 2000 just passed 270,000 miles and the 1993 has 264,000 miles, both have been good vehicles.

Last year we bought a 2015 Suburban for my wife. I bought the tow package so I could have the 2 speed T-case.
As an off roader I can't say, my wife won't let it see anything other than a dirt road for now.
However it is solid and reliable so far at 13,000 miles. It's an LT with few options, 4wd, tow package, tow hooks, second row buckets and cargo shade. We got 21.7 mpg coming home from Prescott last December, I generally drive 10% above the posted speed limit on highways.
I know it does not have traditional steel bumpers and I am kind of pissed the only lube joints up front are on the tie rod ends, but it does come standard with the 9.5 semi-float (a big improvement over a 10 bolt you have to admit) and the 6 speed trans.
I was curious about the tow package gear choice of only 3.42 gears but when doing the math realized a 6 speed with 3.42 gears equals the same first gear combo/ torque application as a 4 speed with 4.56 gears. (4x3.42=13.68 and 3x4.56=13.68)

When looking at the cost of cars and crossovers, combined with the fact we keep our cars a long time and I get the GM employee discount through my Mom, it was easy to justify the Suburban purchase.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3