Project Alpha Bound II: Electric Boogaloo

ab1985

Explorer
Yep, after reading and rereading I just gave up. It will work or it won't - I'll cross that bridge when I get there, or not... :confused:

scramfan01

Adventurer
I was in your old area last week, and thought I would drop by and see your progress. When I realized you had moved, I checked back on here, and saw you have moved back to Nashville. I'am glad you made it out to LBL. I knew you would like that place.

ab1985

Explorer
Moved in August, started a new job, and we're in the process of buying land and building a home (hence the slow progress).

I have had time to do some small things - new brakes all around, plugs/wires, started on dual batteries, and should be receiving a new front bumper this week - but no substantial updates. I'm scrapping my rear storage concept. I don't like the idea of drawers under the cutout area so I'm back to the drawing board. I have a good idea of what I want to do and recently gained access to a cabinet shop for workspace so progress should ramp back up. Doesn't mean I can't get out and have fun, though. :D

LBL was really great. I've found some other local spots. Got out to the Duck River for a night the weekend after Christmas. Hot soup is a must when the windchill dips below 20*.

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
X2 on some delicious looking soup. I've been meaning to make a hot soup while out camping similar to the recipe in the children's book To Market To Market. Looking forward to see your new storage concept and layout.

NM-Frontier

Explorer
A cabinet shop is a dangerous/great place to come up with new storage ideas! Can't wait to see what you come up with.

ab1985

Explorer
AOE Front Bumper

I've been waiting for a sunny day to take pictures of a couple of updates, but I'm not sure that's going to happen anytime soon so excuse the dark shots.

Just before Christmas I ordered an AOE front bumper. I really love the classic look of the ARB bumpers and had every intention of putting one on this truck, but after reading a few accounts of weak spots I decided to go a different direction. I don't plan to beat this truck up, but I'm a fan of going HD wherever possible.

AOE puts out a very, very fine product. I ordered the bare steel version then added a few coats of primer and rustoleum automotive grade black. I tend to go this route with bumpers and sliders vs. powder coating due to ease of touch up. I need to pull it back off to relocate the turn signals and mount a winch, but I couldn't stand to let it sit in the garage for long. I will say one of the most surprising things about this bumper is that you can't see it from the driver seat. I don't love the logo cut out in the front, but beyond that I'm very pleased with this bumper.

015_zps48bdad22.jpg

018_zps13bc23e6.jpg

ab1985

Explorer
Wagon Gear Tailgate Lid

I also recently installed a Wagon Gear tailgate lid. Talk about a well thought-out, high quality product. I smile every time I look at it.

I added stainless latches, locks, and the grippy lid surface. I stand on my tailgate all the time so seemed to be a good choice. I used a grinder/cut off wheel to remove the factory section then laid out 8 s.f. of Dynamat to help with noise and make it easier to see. I have one tote that I use to carry a number of items that I hardly ever use but never go camping without (tarp, wheel chocks, straps, first aid kit, wag bags, etc...). I was able to fit the entire contents into the tailgate - I love finding unused storage space. :D

019_zpsdace3f26.jpg

020_zpsbabdbaac.jpg

021_zpse0ee676e.jpg

ab1985

Explorer
Now that I'm getting closer to sorting out the permanent load profile, I'm going to go ahead and start on the suspension. I spoke to Bryce at Cruiser Outfitters who was extremely helpful and will be placing an order shortly. Hopefully, more updates to come soon...

mph

Expedition Leader
Nice Cruiser...Like like a sweet, functionally rig. BTW...Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters will take care of you:)

Now that I'm getting closer to sorting out the permanent load profile, I'm going to go ahead and start on the suspension. I spoke to Bryce at Cruiser Outfitters who was extremely helpful and will be placing an order shortly. Hopefully, more updates to come soon...

ab1985

Explorer
Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters will take care of you:)
Yep, I pm'd Kurt with a description of what I wanted to accomplish and he recommended that I call and discuss everything. I've had the same discussion with other vendors, and I really appreciate Kurt's shop taking the time to ask questions and lay out options rather than dishing out boilerplate recommendations that felt scripted and slightly off the mark. Looking forward to this next part of the build.

ab1985

Explorer
One of the Rugged Ridge latches on my top failed pretty early on, and I've had it held together with spit and glue for a while so I decided to replace those today. My guess is the latch rattled loose during the White Rim trip and this allowed the threads on the stud to strip. I still think these latches can work, so I ordered up another set and thus time everything was installed with blue loctite.

The old:

The new:

ab1985

Explorer
I ordered tires this morning, and will be placing an order with Cruiser Outfitters on Monday. More updates soon :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater