Project "Autonomous" F-350

rayra

Expedition Leader
what an evil trap I've fallen into.

sure. I'll see if my cheap-*** sewing machine can handle that stuff. Doesn't look like it will be a problem. The idea is a suspension system for a better seat, correct? Not sitting directly on that stuff, strung on a tubular frame, right?

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
what an evil trap I've fallen into.

sure. I'll see if my cheap-*** sewing machine can handle that stuff. Doesn't look like it will be a problem. The idea is a suspension system for a better seat, correct? Not sitting directly on that stuff, strung on a tubular frame, right?

Yes, the same way mastercraft, etc. make them.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Well I can think of several different ways of rigging the strapping on the tube frame, but most are sup-optimum in terms of strength. The strongest stitching method wouldn't work with a closed-loop seat frame, can't stitch the stuff on the frame. That grommeted system pictured above is a way to work around that constraint.
BUT, the strapping could be stitched off-frame IF the tube framing is designed in a manner that unbolts in halves, akin to a bolt-in segmented roll cage. IF the frame tubes could be unbolted removed, the sewn strapping could then be slipped on / woven in place. And the frames slipped and bolted back together and back into the overall seat structure. That would make the webbing portion much easier to accomplish.
And the bracketry / clamps that hold the tubing frames would have to be placed to not interfere with the strapping, match the spacing of the strapping.

PM me and we'll talk about the particulars. I'm running back and forth between Temecula and Lompoc, out of Santa Clarita, the rest of the year. Swinging by your place can be arranged on either end of the Temecula runs. Aint that far out of the way when I swing thru the Wrightwood area / 138/18. Or you can mail me a couple 4-5' long strips of that webbing to start experimenting with. I can bend up some EMT conduit as a mockup frame to work from.
in fact a seat panel hoop could be done in a big 'C', joint at the back bottom in a supporting clamp, and the strapping can be slid on and woven on thru that gap.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Are you going to install a bum cooler?

Thinking about it. The AC was not working on my last trip to the desert. My cloth seat got soaking wet driving to Vegas.

Well I can think of several different ways of rigging the strapping on the tube frame, but most are sup-optimum in terms of strength. The strongest stitching method wouldn't work with a closed-loop seat frame, can't stitch the stuff on the frame. That grommeted system pictured above is a way to work around that constraint.
BUT, the strapping could be stitched off-frame IF the tube framing is designed in a manner that unbolts in halves, akin to a bolt-in segmented roll cage. IF the frame tubes could be unbolted removed, the sewn strapping could then be slipped on / woven in place. And the frames slipped and bolted back together and back into the overall seat structure. That would make the webbing portion much easier to accomplish.
And the bracketry / clamps that hold the tubing frames would have to be placed to not interfere with the strapping, match the spacing of the strapping.

PM me and we'll talk about the particulars. I'm running back and forth between Temecula and Lompoc, out of Santa Clarita, the rest of the year. Swinging by your place can be arranged on either end of the Temecula runs. Aint that far out of the way when I swing thru the Wrightwood area / 138/18. Or you can mail me a couple 4-5' long strips of that webbing to start experimenting with. I can bend up some EMT conduit as a mockup frame to work from.
in fact a seat panel hoop could be done in a big 'C', joint at the back bottom in a supporting clamp, and the strapping can be slid on and woven on thru that gap.

I knew you were the man for the job. I don't have the webbing yet. I know there will be some work done to get the tension right. It might need tension adjustment on the fly. The webbing I got might be too stretchy, time will tell. I want lightweight, cool seats that fit me and my needs. Have not found that on the market yet. The seat portion will also need some padding but I could see the backrest being only webbing.

rayra

Expedition Leader
without padding you'll really have to artfully shape / curve that perimeter framing to keep it away from your shoulders and neck. And bottom of your spine. The whole top arch will realyl have to be wide and lay back at the top. The horizontal straps at the shoulders will have to take the load and bear up under anything, to keep you from cracking a neck vertebrae on the tubing.

have to do a lot of design fiddling to get that. Some EMT and a wheeled adjustable pipe bender would make the design process a lot easier. Then execute the final in something like Cromoly.

Just doodling ways to frame / suspend the webbing in a way that keeps the back bottom framing the hell away from the lumbar / coccyx areas.

suspensionhomespun01_zpsgf07iaso.jpg

The frame really needs to be more like this old design, nothing to strike your *** on

toptenslingchairs09.gallantandjones.jpg

patoz

Expedition Leader
Heck yeah, two of those lawn chairs in the cab, drop your cooler in between them, and you're good to go! :rally_guys:

Wilbah

Adventurer
Ha! I had a buddy who while having his seats redone used a milk crate for a few weeks. I suggest not going in that direction....just sayin' haha :)

rayra

Expedition Leader
How about using a factory bucket seat frame / bracketry, amended with tube steel and webbing. Essentially retrofitting suspension strapping in place of the original internal structures. You could even re-use the seat upholstery if you do it right. Adding some poly bushings in the mountings, packing in some high density foam etc. Gut out the factory seat to its essentials, build it back up with tube framing for the web strapping.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Mike, here's something for your 'bag-o-tricks'!

This is PVC Patio Furniture cushions and sling replacements. You can buy the bulk materials as well. The nice thing about these is they use a stranded poly fill instead of foam, so they will not absorb moisture and if they do get wet they will dry almost instantly.

b2.jpg

Fabric...

a_yellow_a.jpg

http://www.patiopvc.com/

I have slept on this stuff before and even that is not bad, so it should be OK for a vehicle seat too.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
How about using a factory bucket seat frame / bracketry, amended with tube steel and webbing. Essentially retrofitting suspension strapping in place of the original internal structures. You could even re-use the seat upholstery if you do it right. Adding some poly bushings in the mountings, packing in some high density foam etc. Gut out the factory seat to its essentials, build it back up with tube framing for the web strapping.

Cheaper and more custom to make my own.

Mike, here's something for your 'bag-o-tricks'!

This is PVC Patio Furniture cushions and sling replacements. You can buy the bulk materials as well. The nice thing about these is they use a stranded poly fill instead of foam, so they will not absorb moisture and if they do get wet they will dry almost instantly.

b2.jpg

Fabric...

a_yellow_a.jpg

http://www.patiopvc.com/

I have slept on this stuff before and even that is not bad, so it should be OK for a vehicle seat too.

Nice materials Pat. I checked the website, they have some nice fabrics there!

Chet6.7 had the same idea I had for a bum cooler. When you crank up the AC on most cars and trucks it just freezes your hands. I want to mount the ducts where they will do more good; cooling your head and your body. I have a vintage air kit in my storage that was for a different project. The outlets can be mounted anywhere, so....

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater