Votes: 14 7.5%
  • Can't quite get ya head around it...

Votes: 42 22.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Keyblazer

Adventurer
Awesome info!
Now I know that, I will most likely go with a normal shower tray and toilet, with a Blackwater tank.

xped

Adventurer
Some info on your brakes, replacement rotors are expensive. About $150 each last time I checked. Also these fulltime 4x4 setups have wheel bearing problems, keep them greased. They are none adjustable and do not like big tires. I'm running the same size as you and no problems yet. I have had problems in the mountains with my brakes overheating so watch out as you are much heavier than me.
I also found that my manual says the ignition timing is 0 tdc. I found it ran like crap at that and run it at 10 btdc. You time it through the bellhousing on the trans.

Keyblazer

Adventurer
Planning Planning!
My second visit last week threw up a few issues that I need some help with.
How much fresh water to carry.... and that dictates what my grey and black tanks need to be..
I am thinking 40 gallons fresh water... is that good?

How much propane? There is a small tank already, but I dont know if it will need to be updated or replaced. It looks to be about 30"long x 15" dia.

BaseCamp

Observer
you're gonna want at least two of those little lp tanks. A way to conserve water is to flush with grey water, I forgot where I saw it online, but theres a couple guys who have done it.

Keyblazer

Adventurer
The LP tank is hanging too low on the Pass side, and although the valves have a protection plate over them I dont like it.
Too vulnerable to so much.
I think its gotta go!
DSC05900c.jpg

Photog

Explorer
Black/Grey/Fresh water issues. If you flush with Grey water, you may not have enough grey water, when it is time to dump the tanks. Dump the black first, and then dump the grey water. The grey water will flush any residues out of the valve and hose, that were left from the black side.

If you do set up flush with grey water, you may need to run extra fresh water into the grey tank, just prior to dumping.

I don't know where your equipment is located, but my van has the propane tank mounted between the frame rails, near the rear bumper. The fill connector and shutoff valve are behind the license plate location.

There must be some place to mount the propane tank, that is protected and allows access to the connectors and valves.

Where it is now is asking for trouble.

xped

Adventurer
I use a standard 3 gal. rv hot water heater I salvaged from an old rv. Works fine and reheats quickly. My buddies rig uses a 6 gal. which I would recommend. I've seen alot of the tankless in new homes but have no experience with the rv type. RV H2O heaters require you cut a square hole in the side of your van.
I have the same size propane tank and it lasts along time and thats with a heater, stove. oven and hot water. For extended trips I bring a 5 gal. portable tank but have never needed it. I plan on getting a propane generator which may mean a bigger tank.
40 gal. of water is a good amount, It really depends on showers. If 2 people are taking showers daily it goes quick. I set mine up with a 3-way valve that lets me pull water from a creek or other source for showers.
Basically your setup depends on how many people and how long you plan on being out.
2.5 gal. per day per person is what we used for Burning Man.

Keyblazer

Adventurer
Tankless seems like a good way to go to me too.
Maybe mounting it on the wall in the bathroom, it can feed the galley too.

Wow, over 5,000 hits here and an 80% thumbs up!
I'm happy!

Keyblazer

Adventurer
These are the specs of the Marey 5L lpg model that is about $185
It looks pretty compact, and gives 1.5g/min of hot water.

Water heating for the whole house, business, auto shops, cottages, camping and many other uses.
•Instant gas water heater activated with water pressure
•Does not require electricity (operates with 2 D cell battery)
•Extraordinary energy and money savings
•Perfect alternative for those homes experimenting frequent power outages
•Heats unlimited volumes of water
•Allows water temperature to be controlled
•Compact design
•Only uses gas while water is flowing
•Works easily with low levels of water pressure
•Anti-combustion and gas pressure safety protection
Technical specifications

•Hot Water Outlet per Minute: 5 LPM / 1.3 GPM
•Gas Type: NG
•Heat Load: 34,614 BTU/h
•Related Gas Pressure (PSI): 0.3
•Exhaust Discharge Mode: Flue Duct Type
•Applicable Water Pressure: 3.6 - 145.0 PSI / 0.25 - 10 bar
•Ignition: Electric Pulse, D Cell battery powered
•Energy Efficiency: 54% - 87%
•Weight: 12 pounds

Dimensions
•Height: 17.0"
•Width: 11.4"
•Depth: 4.7"

Keyblazer

Adventurer
Today fishing on Craigs list was good!
Got me a set of Four 8 lug 16x8 Weld Stonecrushers for the front!
Best bit........... $140!
I ran some numbers and it looks like 285/75 16 tires are so near to a perfect match for the rears!

Keyblazer

Adventurer
I LOVE CL!
Here is what I got for $140....

I measured the offset and it looks the same, so the 2" difference is all on the outer face, as you can see. Tha means I should not have the clearance problems I had on the front with the 16x10's.

xped

Adventurer
Are you going to run 305/70/16 in the back and 285/75/16 in the front? I know the tires are close in diameter but if there is a difference it could wreck your transfer case, especially in a fulltime 4x4 setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat