Project: Doitall Dodge

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
b897de2b-87f6-8b8a.jpg
b897de2b-8815-85ae.jpg

Your a bad influence dude..

Are those 39.5, 41.5s, or 42s?

Care to share any details of your crossover conversion, front springs, and diff cover?

Boons

b897de2b-bb59-5cbb.jpg
b897de2b-bb6e-db47.jpg
b897de2b-bbaf-b121.jpg
b897de2b-bbd0-9e4e.jpg

42x15x17 Bias but I'm selling them to get a set of the 41.5 radial PBRs.

Springs are super lift 5.5" lift for 72-93 dodge gasser. They settled to about 3 inches with the cummins. I'm going to be getting some zero rates to gain another inch and move the axle forward to get the tires away from the cab.

For the rear I'm doing 6" super lift springs and jungles shackle flip to eliminate the 6 inch block and get 4 inches of lift.

X over is ORD, still waiting for my reinforcement plates from jungle off RCC.

Running 4.56 with the getrag

Diff cover is made by Riddler

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Very cool, you should start a thread.

I agree that moving the axle forward would be a good idea, but it will start to effect the ability for the drag link to stay in the 'pocket' of the engine crossmember.

4.56 gearing with 42s should be good. Mine is ultra tall with 3.55s and 39" tires. Honestly, after thousands of miles it really works pretty dang well. The truck still knocks down 20mpg on highway trips as long as you don't try and go 80mph. For me, I think 3.73s would be really good. 4.56 gears come out to about the same as stock 3.55 gearing with stock sized tires....which I thought was a little bit too low?

Boons

I had 3.55 with 33s and I liked it. Tall enough I could do the hi way no problem, tow well, and able to hit the trails in confidence that I had enough gear. So with 4.56 and 42 being damn near identical I'm happy. Also my getrag is less than healthy and likes to slam out of first, synchro maybe? So at what ever point I have to pull it a nv4500 is going in.

About the zero rates I've heard a few times now about interference with the cross member but I'm looking into modifying it and stuffing a panhard somewhere.

I have a build page on Ramchargercentral.

BBslider001

Diesel Head
First of all, thanks for assuming the worst....I have never had anything but positive words for ANYONE'S project on here. I am an adult and don't really care one way or the other what someone does or does not do with their project. Apparently though, my 6 year old niece feels different and decided to say so on the thread when my laptop was open. My fault for that, but I am NOT and was not trolling and never have I belong to many different forums and never ever have said anything negative about another man's project. But, for those who got offended, I am sorry I guess....sensitive world these days.

highcountry

I found this thread and read half way through thinking to myself "wow, what a cool build" when I discovered that I had already posted here on page 34... Anyway, I read the rest of it and just wanted to drop a note saying great work, this really is one incredible build. And the fact that it has been a daily driver the whole time just adds to it! Work on my truck has been at a stand still, although it has been dutifully pulling my raft trailer wherever I want to go (amid sneers from people driving fancy new trucks faster and more comfortably). I have given thought to selling it even, to buy something a little more civilized. But, reading your thread and the Bigger Red Pig thread and a few others give me restored motivation to turn away the low ball offers, get my hands dirty fixing the laundry list of little things that need to be fixed, and keep pounding the ground with that old tractor. So, Thanks!

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I found this thread and read half way through thinking to myself "wow, what a cool build" when I discovered that I had already posted here on page 34... Anyway, I read the rest of it and just wanted to drop a note saying great work, this really is one incredible build. And the fact that it has been a daily driver the whole time just adds to it! Work on my truck has been at a stand still, although it has been dutifully pulling my raft trailer wherever I want to go (amid sneers from people driving fancy new trucks faster and more comfortably). I have given thought to selling it even, to buy something a little more civilized. But, reading your thread and the Bigger Red Pig thread and a few others give me restored motivation to turn away the low ball offers, get my hands dirty fixing the laundry list of little things that need to be fixed, and keep pounding the ground with that old tractor. So, Thanks!

Yup, drive it most every day. It always does what I ask. On the one hand I could spend tons more money on it, on the other hand it just keeps working.

I have my moments of weakness just like everyone else. I have been lightly scouting for a 2006-2007 dodge 2500 5.9 regular cab, longbox, white newer project truck. Those things are NOT cheap though so I will just keep driving my tractor around and waiting for the right deal.

I will keep tinkering, but honestly my Willys project has been more interesting for me lately. Its nice NOT to have to drive the Willys every day. It lets me take a little more time with things, try a LOT more different things, and doesn't bother me as much when they don't work.

I will say that old iron is getting RARE these days. I think cash for clunkers and the high scrap prices have REALLY taken a big bite out of the available stock of old iron.

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
The yards near me are only keeping the old trucks for a short time before crushing them. I sought a Ramcharger for some interior bits, they'd already crushed it after 4 days in the yard. Sucks!

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Don't tell me stuff like that. It makes me all teary eye'd. Crushing old vehicles is the WORST thing they can do......

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Yup, Durango...

Shoot me a PM when you firm up some dates.

Yes, its tough :) The Willys is finally getting to the point I can get some miles on it. I thought the Dodge got a lot of attention, its a stealth vehicle compared to the Willys. I swear I am going to cause a wreck driving the Willys around! It's like people have never seen an old flat fender or something. I am hoping that I can get the Willys to a point that I can drive it steady for a few months this summer. With that free time I can tear into some projects on the Dodge like the new turbo, gauges, bigger brakes, 14-bolt rear, twin stick t-case shifter, lockers, gears, winch, rear bumper, etc.

Hey Metcalf, are you really going to put a 14 bolt rear end in that Dodge? Just curious as to why you would do that as I was of the assumtion that the stock Dodge rear ends were bulletproof:Wow1:. Cheers, Chilli.:)

bftank

Explorer
they can be if you get rid of the crush sleeve and replace it with a solid bushing.

dana 80's have a bit more strength than the 14 bolt though. although i have seen quite a few ads on craigslist selling 80's that are needing rebuilt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues