Project: Doitall Dodge

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I bet the 366 would make a large difference. It really makes the truck drive much better.

I agree, I just need to the the Willys a little more reliable so that when that little top hat thing goes flying across the shop I can still get to work :)

I also have that he351cw turbo that needs to go on....and gauges.....and bigger brakes.....hydroboost....14-bolt rear axle.....center mounted winch.....

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Heat, low oil, and lugging is a no no with these trans.

Yup, that is pretty much what I have been avoiding.

I think being able to tow in 4th really helps out also. With my tall gearing I can run 4th at 55-60 without much issue, and I generally don't tow much faster than that on twisty two lane roads around here. I came back from Moab last week with my Willys in a wicked wind storm in 4th gear like 90+% of the way. I still ended up getting 15.5mpg on that tank of fuel.

A am looking forward to playing with the truck again.....

lstzephyr

wanderer
The little top hat isn't too hard to keep track of. I did my 366 in the driveway of my mom's house with a card table as a bench. I even had a old flower print table cloth lol.

The acceleration differences in our trucks was surprising last year. I could really tell when you ran out of gear even with my truck as heavy as it was. I was able to keep up but only because of my extra rpm.

My transmission makes funky noises sometimes, shifts slow, is geared weird but just keeps working. I think the getrag has a bad rap honestly. I've heard just as many issues with the autos, nv4500 and nv5600. I think I would be tempted to go fso or spicer if my trans went out.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
The little top hat isn't too hard to keep track of. I did my 366 in the driveway of my mom's house with a card table as a bench. I even had a old flower print table cloth lol.

The acceleration differences in our trucks was surprising last year. I could really tell when you ran out of gear even with my truck as heavy as it was. I was able to keep up but only because of my extra rpm.

My transmission makes funky noises sometimes, shifts slow, is geared weird but just keeps working. I think the getrag has a bad rap honestly. I've heard just as many issues with the autos, nv4500 and nv5600. I think I would be tempted to go fso or spicer if my trans went out.

Yup, as soon as I can drive the Willys to work and back without needing a trailer I will tear into the truck a bit this summer. 366 spring, turbo, and gauges are at the top of the list.

I think the getrag works just fine. If you have one that has lasted this long it probably wasn't one with the bearing pre-load that was too high. I just keep feeding mine 5w30 synthetic and it seems to hold up just fine to my use. If it ever gives up the ghost I want to replace it with a G56 close ratio version.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Dang it.....1st major breakdown......

dodgefail.jpg

After about 350,000+ miles the clutch pushrod decided to break into two pieces. I had noticed an increased force and notchy shifts over the last week or so. Last night I finally found out why. The clutch pushrod had developed a bend, cracked, and finally let go as I was parking my truck at home after work.

This was the modified old original pushrod I had modified with the heavy dutch pivot to replace the worn out factory unit a while back.

I will pick up some parts after work today and make a heavy duty replacement.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
It is right where the shaft necks down, it developed a bend in that location after a few million cycles, and then finally failed.

The material is basically cast pot metal....lame.

I am going to make a new one out of a grade 8 bolt on the lathe. I have to go pick up a new rod end. The old one had the cut off factory part epoxied in place.

lstzephyr

wanderer
I have heard of that breaking before. If you don't mind showing a couple pictures of how you make it I would appreciate it. I have access to a small lathe here and I will probably copy your work.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
newdodgepushrod.jpg

I stopped by the hardware store after work and picked up what I needed to make my heavy duty replacement pushrod.

A few minutes on the lathe and I was able to turn down a 4.5" long 1/2-20 bolt into the new pushrod. I needed to reduce the diameter to approx .350" to replicate the dia of the 'ball' on the factory unit. I then stepped down the diameter behind the 'ball' area a little bit for the teeth in the little spring clip on the clutch master to hold the pushrod in place.

The new push-rod then was threaded into a new rod end to fit my modified pedal linkage with a nut to lock everything into length. This new unit is now adjustable which is a bonus for tuning the pedal position and where the clutch lets up.

For those trying to do this, just use a 3/8 rod end and pin on the pedal instead of the 1/2" units I used. I think it would fit a little better, and you wouldn't have to turn the bolt down as much.

If some of you with Getrag dodge trucks are having notchy shifting I would check out your clutch linkage. I think once the linkage gets worn or bent a little bit you don't get full disengagement of the clutch leading to notchy shifting. With this new pushrod installed my truck now shifts SO MUCH better!

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
170,000+ views........DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGG

Hope everyone enjoys the thread! I will be doing some more work on the truck soon now that my Willys is 'done' (NOT!)

TheAlmightySam

Adventurer
We'll be watching!

Still one of the best threads on ExPo.

...though I'm blaming you for the hurting my wallet is taking paying for $5 a gallon diesel :eek::D

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
You can always look into blending and/or Biodiesel ;) I've had good success in my truck with whatever I put in the tank, it doesn't seem to care that much. I don't run 100% alternative fuels all the time, but I have run enough to know that my truck isn't going to blow up running the stuff. I am pretty careful with filtering and de-watering however. The misses teaches chemistry at the high school and uses biodiesel production as a unit.....I get to run the fuel for free :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues