Project Hundy Build Thread - 2000 UZJ100 Land Cruiser

fireball

Explorer
Any other benefits to these besides they don't bend as easily when you bounce on them? :)

Between your exploits and the 100 in the Expedition Overland series I've been getting some serious inspiration for my truck. Do wish these things weren't so heavy though. Mine's not quite that bad yet, but it seems every mod adds a good bit of weight!

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Any other benefits to these besides they don't bend as easily when you bounce on them? :)

For the 100 Series they are also ~10mm longer than stock which helps the geometry bit particilarly with adjustable upper arms which are on my to-do list.

Between your exploits and the 100 in the Expedition Overland series I've been getting some serious inspiration for my truck. Do wish these things weren't so heavy though. Mine's not quite that bad yet, but it seems every mod adds a good bit of weight!

Heavy they are. I bounce between vehicles often and this ranks up there on the heaviest I spend time driving... that has pro's and con's. 100's are so smooth on the highway and dirt/washboard but all that comes at a cost, weight :D

cruiseroutfit

I am definitely going to take you up on that. Do saturdays work best? If so pencil me in for the 10th or the 17th of May!

I'll likely be at Overland Expo on the 17th but the 10th should work. I'll have to iron it out as we get a little closer.

cruiseroutfit

It has been a bit since I've done much with the 100 beyond enjoy it. It was my go to daily driver until the Project LXXIV was in the picture. Since then my wife has somewhat absconded it for mountain bike transportation duty. I had some free time this afternoon to do some maintenance, I thought I was due for an oil change but I peaked at the maintenance log and low and behold I did it more recently than I had thought. But, I did find a Blue Sea USB outlet in the glove box. The outlet has been bouncing around the glove box since the initial build, it was one item that just didn't get finished. The plan was to mount it in the rear of the center console, allowing additional USB outlets for the front occupants and super convenient outlets for passengers in the rear. Far from a major project but it felt good to do something on the old steed :D

aux_1%20%28Small%29.jpg

Marking the holes in the plastic panel found in the rear of the center console.

aux_2%20%28Small%29.jpg

Dual USB and 12V outlets mounted in panel

aux_3%20%28Small%29.jpg

Finished and ready to use

Oh, I did score a manual for the truck recently. My pal RyRy picked it up for me figuring I could use all the help I could find for the complicated systems of the 100 Series. I'm not sure where my weapons controls are just yet but I'm studying the manual diligently. :D

aux_4%20%28Small%29.jpg

aux_5%20%28Small%29.jpg

SmoothLC

Explorer
Nice touch! Death Star. For the casual reader.

Got two of the same (Blue Sea USBs) in my garage and still haven't put them in.

Next on the list I suppose.

HayStax

Wow! Impressive project! Let me know when you're ready for another project and the 100 needs a new home. My 40 doesn't make a good family hauler.

Cheers!

cruiseroutfit

Wow! Impressive project! Let me know when you're ready for another project and the 100 needs a new home. My 40 doesn't make a good family hauler.

Cheers!

That could be arranged :D

I'm working on rough details for a South America trip next year in this rig... after that???

cruiseroutfit

It's getting to be new tire time and I'm torn on what to do. I'm hearing fantastic things about the new BFG AT KO2's however they won't be available until early November and it appears the size I'm running (295/75R16) isn't even scheduled yet. So who knows if they will ever produce it?

This truck heads south again next month for the Baja 1000. We (Canguro Racing) are going to make another attempt at the Baja 1000 and again the Death Star will serve as a chase rig for our team. These tires will likely be just fine it but that is a long trip on 25% tires imo. So, do I roll the dice and wait or just pony up for another set of standard AT's?

The next closest size is 305/70R16 and I think it would work just fine BUT it isn't available until March 2015 and considering I'm worried about these tires working for the next month... they surely are not going to have me feeling comfortable on off-road trips until March.

Should I be considering other tires? I've ran my fair share of tires and I really can't think of one that has been more consistent and performing than the BFG AT, perhaps that says it all and I should just grab another set and worry about the KO2's in another two years?

cruiseroutfit

General Grabber AT2? I haven't had any issues with mine.

The AT2 is actually the only other common tire made in the 295 size, I'll have to give those a look. Much less $$ too. I am a bit beholden to BFG not just because of my experience with them on a bunch of different rigs but they are a sponsor of ours for the Baja1000 so I feel a bit obligated there :D

BushHead

Adventurer
I really like the Toyo Open Country at2 295/75r16 that I'm running on my Excursion. No troubles and the X is pretty heavy esp. when packed for the wife and 2 little girls.

oh and 5 were cheaper than the 4 michelin ties at 265/75/16 that I bought when the x was stock.

mph

Expedition Leader
I have had great luck with the Yokama Geolanders AT...Not sure if they make them in the 295 size...

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
The AT2 is actually the only other common tire made in the 295 size, I'll have to give those a look. Much less $$ too. I am a bit beholden to BFG not just because of my experience with them on a bunch of different rigs but they are a sponsor of ours for the Baja1000 so I feel a bit obligated there :D

Easy, fix. Keep your current ones as spares. :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater