Project MULE - Expedition build on a 1991 1500 4x4 Suburban

PMA4x4

Adventurer
I finally get a chance to build and KEEP my own actual bumper and I am already out of what I had ran off for production. It's a good thing! Bumper goes in for powder coating tomorrow.

expoxlbumper-023.jpg

PMA4x4

Adventurer
Making the quick disconnects for the front winch. I am doing this for two reasons.

1) if I have to remove the bumper I dont have to fish the cables thru the grille.
2) I can quick disconnect the winch and plug in a set of jumper cables.

winchpower-001.jpg

winchpower-002.jpg

winchpower-003.jpg

winchpower-004.jpg

PMA4x4

Adventurer
Chilliwak,

Those are the same connectors as the Warn quick connects just not packaged by warn. I do offer them.

PMA4x4

Adventurer
Wired up the battery side of the quick disconnect for the winch

winchpower-006.jpg

winchpower-010.jpg

Making Weatherpack connectors for the Tranny temp sending unit and the dual fan controller.

winchpower-007.jpg

winchpower-008.jpg

Finally got to making custom cables for the dual battery setup.

winchpower-009.jpg

winchpower-011.jpg

Mid project, what a mess.

winchpower-012.jpg

Initial testing of the wiring with the smart solenoid.

winchpower-013.jpg

PMA4x4

Adventurer
Everything before was test fit, then it all had to come back out for final welding, assembly and the bracket needed to be painted.

Wiring officially begins.
winchpower-014.jpg

The custom bracket assembly to hold 2 batteries, 2 relay boxes, 1 washer fluid jar, 1 battery charger and 1 ARB air compressor painted in satin epoxy.
winchpower-015.jpg

Batteries, solenoid fan controller and 1st relay box official bolted in.
winchpower-016.jpg

PMA4x4

Adventurer
the washer fluid jug was on the fender and the charcoal canister well... I seriously think they thought of the dual battery thing in mind for like the diesels because the bracket that mounts the canister to the fender had mounting holes to drop it 2" which is what i needed to clear the hood. All I did was move the washer jug straight out onto the new frame i built.

The Battery mount is from Artec Industries. They do make a single mount for the PC1500 or Diehard equivalent. If you do choose a dual keep in mind the 34/78 (with side posts) will NOT fit with side posts facing in. I still have to get terminal covers.

I would have used tinned terminals but I needed to order a larger quantity then I wanted to get at the time. The heat shrink wrapping on all the main cables are weather sealed with a epoxy glue that oozes out and cures when it cools and seals the end. The crimping tool I use it this crimper here. It may seem a bit expensive for such a small task but it gets the job done right.

I changed the long bolts on the mill spec terminals from 2.25" to 2.5" so I can double nut as you see.

The battery mount came with Allen bolts and nuts but that would have been almost impossible to get to the nuts underneath so I made my own nut strips with extra length on an end for a handle.

All the main cable is 2ga with the extra abrasive resistant cover. I test this stuff and you practically have to saw into it to get thru. Its stiff as hell but it isnt gonna wear thru and ground out.

winchpower-018.jpg

winchpower-019.jpg

winchpower-020.jpg

The grey wires off the positive terminal or fusible links for the two relay/fuse boxes. The relay boxes used 10ga wire both fro the positive and negative. All heat shrink is the weather seal stuff.

winchpower-021.jpg

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Really sweet looking set-up there PMA! Now I just need to know where I can get some custom battery trays and hold down clamps when I make a dual set-up in my rig next year....:Wow1:

PMA4x4

Adventurer
Really sweet looking set-up there PMA! Now I just need to know where I can get some custom battery trays and hold down clamps when I make a dual set-up in my rig next year....:Wow1:

When it comes time get a hold of me. I am starting to sell this type of equipment. I hope to be a Artec dealer here soon to. Artec makes the battery trays.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
When it comes time get a hold of me. I am starting to sell this type of equipment. I hope to be a Artec dealer here soon to. Artec makes the battery trays.

Wicxked! I will keep that in mind for next year. I have an address in Washington state that I can get it sent to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nowhereman