Project MULE - Expedition build on a 1991 1500 4x4 Suburban

PMA4x4

Adventurer
Nope, Bushings at the frame side mounts. It's already been done and I am just modifying the idea a bit.

HARDTRAILZ

Certified
You are using bushing? How? What kind? Not sure I have seen that before. Got my curiosity peaked.

I did might solidly welded to frame so not to have to deal with two seperate moving mounting locations.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Hmm, maybe it is the angle of the picture but I’m not seeing the benefit of a slider there. Looks like the entire slider can swing up and down with a pivot at the frame by using those round bushings. The only thing that keeps the entire slider from pivoting is the fact the slider is bolted to the rocker panels? If that is the case, it seems like any time you rub something on the bottom of the slider it would push the sider up into the body.

What are you calling pinch seams? The rocker panel pinch seams at the bottom? I am not big on the idea of having to drill any holes into the body for sliders especially at rocker panels. That is a great way to inflict more damage to the exact part you are trying to protect. Remember those old hoop steps from the 70's and 80's like the Fall Guy GMC had that bolted to the rocker pinch seam and how much damage they did when you whack them on something?

HARDTRAILZ

Certified
I tend to agree. The only thing thing the frame tie in does is help if you slide into a rock or tree, but does nothing for when the truck comes down on a rock or similar.

PMA4x4

Adventurer
I can understand your concerns Larry but this design as been well proven. Check out the link below and that will show you one company that uses the pinch seams. in fact, this was the company I went with for my Cherokee and I bounced my cherokee off some boulders hard, came down on them hard and all that ever happened was the paint was scratched off the sliders and that was when I was out crawling on rocks.

The picture that shows the frame bushing mounts are for reference of the bushing only and nothing else, that is not my pic. the way that person has his mounted it could cram up into the body. He is only using two points of mounting on the body. Best analogy is think of the bed of nails thing. lay on one nail and its going through ya lay on hundreds and you wont go through.

Yes what I am calling the pinch seam is the pinch seam you are thinking of like the Protofab sliders (in the link below) with a 1" bars spanning the length of the pinch seam and being bolted up like that you are distributing the impact amongst 7ft instead of just 4 or 6 bolts like most people do at the body mount trusses like you see in that guys pic. In that case all the impact psi is going to starting banging on those two spots instead of the full spread.

http://www.protofab4x4.com/products.php?ID=00&ID2=9

Last edited:

PMA4x4

Adventurer
I tend to agree. The only thing thing the frame tie in does is help if you slide into a rock or tree, but does nothing for when the truck comes down on a rock or similar.

That would be belly armor like Gas tank, transfer case, Oil pan and transmission skid plates. These are designed for side body protection. you can also pivot your vehicle around an obstacle using these.

I have noticed no one makes any skid plate armor for these super exposed transfer cases though. Any ideas on those?

HARDTRAILZ

Certified
I mean if you come down on a rock under the door. I have seen mine flex and the dents from wheeling. No way I would want them attached to the pinch seam. If these are designed for side body protection, what protects you from underneath? Start dropping on trees and rocks and the next thing is you cant open your doors....much like XJs that get wheeled hard and have sliders built in their rockers.

PMA4x4

Adventurer
This is a pinch seam and frame mounted slider being well used

http://youtu.be/GwIJHLuKUd8

Bolted directly to body panel and slid into middle of body mounts.

http://youtu.be/GBWwAeHhZsA?t=25s

This slider is bolted to the pinch seam with that flat stock strip you see in the pic below

XJslidersStage3pics2-4.jpg

Just trying to show you so you have a better understanding of what I am doing. Yes the pinch seam will get drilled into but its an ugly strip of metal to begin with and will be covered by the slider anyways.

PMA4x4

Adventurer
I mean if you come down on a rock under the door. I have seen mine flex and the dents from wheeling. No way I would want them attached to the pinch seam. If these are designed for side body protection, what protects you from underneath? Start dropping on trees and rocks and the next thing is you cant open your doors....much like XJs that get wheeled hard and have sliders built in their rockers.

Ive come down on rocks right under my door and nailed the slider multiple times. I was still able to close my doors fine. The ones that cut out there rocker panels and instal box iron in its place right at the base of the door yeah any good hit on those and your door no longer closes right.

Also keep in mind I am not crawling anymore either. But I am applying some of the crawling armor ideas to my vehicle.

HARDTRAILZ

Certified
I see how speading the load would work. Seams that 1x1 or some square tube would do far better than just a piece of flat stock. The first link you shared had that idea i believe.

This style ought to work find for your needs, esp since the burban has real metal to attach to.

PMA4x4

Adventurer
All comes down to how you use the rig. These will be more then enough protection for the side of the body plus a nice long step for standing on to gain access to the roof rack.

fasair

I would love to purchase the 8 roof rack brackets for my 87-V20 project! Do you build them for customers as well? If so what is the cost? Great Burb project!!!!:sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal