Project MULE - Expedition build on a 1991 1500 4x4 Suburban

Wh1t3nukle

I gotz dis
I can't but wonder if black pipe was being used, like 1.5" ID Sch 40.

Come back with a picture of it supported on the slider! We want to see that pinch self-clear.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I wish they were 10lbs They are around 40lbs a side so far.

So you had them bolted along the entire 7 feet of pinch seam? with how many bolts?

I.used 24 3/8 bolts total 12 per side. Ya the spiders are heavy but your looking at 5 lbs per side to.make runners.

Simons

Adventurer
If mounting sliders to frame and body, think about mimicking the body mounts, use a rigid mount to the frame and use a soft mount to the body (small leaf spring bushings work well) Properly built sliders can help stiffen the frame, reducing flex transferred through the body, the added body mounts will also help with reducing the frame flex too.

PMA4x4

Adventurer
If mounting sliders to frame and body, think about mimicking the body mounts, use a rigid mount to the frame and use a soft mount to the body (small leaf spring bushings work well) Properly built sliders can help stiffen the frame, reducing flex transferred through the body, the added body mounts will also help with reducing the frame flex too.

Simons, check out my post at towards the beginning of this slider discussion
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...-1991-1500-4x4-Suburban?p=1435461#post1435461

PMA4x4

Adventurer
I found another local fabricator and he saw them before I installed them and he laughed. He said he wouldn't install them on his lawnmower. J don't remember the material. But he said they would crumple like beer cans. As per clearance of the pinch seam I figured I would let the truck make the clearance it needs.

First off, nice burb!

Second, any professional shouldn't just point and laugh and insult you with the lawnmower crack. If you brought it to him he should examine the item and offer up a professional opinion or some other solution. I hate people like that.

PMA4x4

Adventurer
I.used 24 3/8 bolts total 12 per side. Ya the spiders are heavy but your looking at 5 lbs per side to.make runners.

Now I am more confused. Are you referring to the weight of the bolts now being 5lbs per side? I could agree with that.

bigtrkltltrl

Observer
Well he does have a nice racing lawnmower. And he is more a friend who helps occasionally. But I figured I already painted them and paid for them so why not install them. With the new lift and tires I hopefully will not need them as much. He already knows he will get my business for the next round of sliders. Thanks for the compliment on the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

98dango

Expedition Leader
No my sliders ager 62lbs a side I figured added 124 lbs total. I had plenty of bolts and had them bolted to the frame rail. It's just a ton of leverage. You figure your truck is close to 7000 lbs that's pressure.

PMA4x4

Adventurer
Picked up the rest of the hardware and metal yesterday for the slider project. Hoping to get to it this weekend. I need to get some work on the wife's daily driver first.

Last edited:

98dango

Expedition Leader
No mine did not run full lingth.

Side note I just pulled the luvene steps off my superduty. They where mounted with 7 5/16 bolts per side and they have supported the truck more than once. I was amazed at how well they have done with how little they had holding on.

If you do a full pinch weld like pictured I would still want 2 runners to the frame even if you just use 1+1 for leverage support.

I look forward to the finished product

PMA4x4

Adventurer
See I think this where some details became lost. I will be running that full length pinch seam 1x1 .125" wall 7 ft PLUS two tubes to the frame.

Still working on the wifes DD so no sliders work yet :mad:

98dango

Expedition Leader
Ya I think that should do fine for what your doing suburban where not known for frame flex.

I have to work on my wifes truck as well but right now is beer and wax the ford.

PMA4x4

Adventurer
I took a quick break and tossed together a wire rack. I got sick of having the spools just laying around.

wire-01.jpg

PMA4x4

Adventurer
Another tool going into the truck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQcLYer4lcw

I got bored and decided to add a another item to my trail tools.

Emergency Battery Welding Kit

Requires 3 batteries wired in series to get 36 volts.

All cable is high strand flexible 2ga cable
10FT positive lead
7FT grounding lead
(2) 20" "jumper" cables to go between batteries
(2) 5 packs of vacuum sealed 1/8" 6013 general purpose welding rod
Flip up protective welding goggles. The lens has been changed to for arc welding.
as usual all of the terminal ends are sealed with adhesive filled heatshrink.

ebwk-001.jpg

ebwk-004.jpgebwk-005.jpgebwk-006a.jpgebwk-007a.jpgebwk-008a.jpgebwk-009a.jpgebwk-010a.jpgebwk-010b.jpgebwk-011a.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal